280 AI (again)

280-ai-vs-280-ai-saami.jpg

So why isn't there any movement since the rifle is standard and brass is SAAMI.

And then there's this which fits with what Iv found with nosler brass in an original chamber.
https://gunsmithtalk.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/280-ackley-improved-emperical-headspace-test/

And so the discussion goes back and forth
.Brent you should try some Nosler brass. Measure the headspace with an appropriate gauge before and after and see if it grows after firing .Actually it would be prudent to measure 3 datums across the shoulder.
If there is indeed a 14thou difference then a properly fire formed case should end up at least .014 longer than a new case. In my case with a 280ai cooper it doesn't grow at all.

Now to muddy the water in the below article click on the case and you see the case that was in Sierra manual and Nosler before Nosler decide to do the SAAMI Spec 280AI. On page two of the article they mention loading data from those manuals.

.280 Ackley Improved | Gear | Guns & Ammo

That case in those two manual is what Nosler changed for their SAAMI spec 280AI. My new Nosler 280AI brass length is 2.525"

I will check it out. I have the right tooling to check. I will take all the necc. precautions to FF these just in case.

Now to muddy the water in the below article click on the case and you see the case that was in Sierra manual and Nosler before Nosler decide to do the SAAMI Spec 280AI. On page two of the article they mention loading data from those manuals.

.280 Ackley Improved | Gear | Guns & Ammo

That case in those two manual is what Nosler changed for their SAAMI spec 280AI. My new Nosler 280AI brass length is 2.525"

Interesting and the base to neck/shoulder junction reads 2.175 which is only .001 off the above diagram of the supposedly new saami version. Tis only a sketch though.

Interesting and the base to neck/shoulder junction reads 2.175 which is only .001 off the above diagram of the supposedly new saami version. Tis only a sketch though.

There is no way you can blow 280 case out to the SAAMI spec 280AI and keep the same case length @ 2.540".

My big question how close was the older 280AI prior to SAAMI spec to what was published in Sierra/Nosler manuals?

Why would Sierra and Nosler publish case spec and loading data for a 280AI prior to SAAMI spec 280AI if that wasn't the case being used at the time, they both had reamers. If you look at Ackley book vol I for the 280 Improved(Ackley) all the loading data came from RCBS page 395/396.

Got to wonder sometimes.

I bounced around this thread a little so did not read everything that was said, but the shoulder DOES look very rounded to me and neither A.I. chambering should look like that? That looks more like a case that was fire formed with cream of wheat and shotgun powder and the one on the left looks more like it should look after firing? Chamber it in .280 Sherman whick will clean it all up and give you more performance:D.......rich

UPDATE: Finally spoke to Dakota. They are having me ship the gun back. "Richard" agreed with me that the fired case should not look like it has a rounded Weatherby looking shoulder. Ships tomorrow. To Be Continued.....

UPDATE ON THE DAKOTA 280AI:

The rifle has been back at Dakota for about 6 weeks. I have emailed them two times and finally got a response this week:
Still trying to get to it. I try every Friday, but the work load is still a bit overwhelming. Please stay in touch and I will do my best to complete the project soon.
Thanks,

Ward Dobler | Operations Manager
( Dakota Arms ) Remington Arms Company, LLC/FGI

My reply was " I can save you the trouble of working on it , just buy it back from me".... no response as of yet.

Remlin ! Got to love them . They got your money and you are not a priority but just a problem to be ignored. Cerbus Capitol Management has seem the last of my money a few years ago.

So my prediction that they would declare it good and stick you with it has born out ? Typical of Freedom Group. Banksters scamming as a gun company.

UPDATE: Started this thread about the difference between saami Ackley and the PO Ackley 280. Also told everyone about the "trouble" I was having with the Dakota 97. I even sent it back to Dakota. They sent it back saying the chamber was good to go. Well as you can see from the pic I got the gun to shoot!
Group was shot @ 100 yards off the bench. 38 degress with a slight wind to my back. Remington fire formed case. 140 gr Nosler Ballistic tip over 60.0 grains of IMR 4831. OAL. 3.444 Group measures .556 - .284 = .272.

Attachments

• IMG_0958.jpg
    IMG_0958.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0959.jpg
    IMG_0959.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 71
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.