28 Nosler...

Plus, nosler spends money on marketing and research. They have a strong idea what can sell. I read where one corner of building for rifle building turned into the whole warehouse. Supposedly 26 and 28 ' s are selling really well. Other manufacturers are building 26 and 28s and I agree with Fred, as long as people say " because I want one". Growth in cartridges isn't needed, but it definitely is good for the sport

Still waiting on my rifle at this point but am wondering about the 145gr LRX and pushing them towards the 3500FPS mark. I doubt they'd disintegrate like the ABLR is likely to do inside 300 yards, and they'd still have massive hydrostatic shock/trauma on anything within 550 yards.

Barnes LRX
145gr
BC: 0.486
SD: 0.257
Assuming I can get at least 3450FPS...
At my hunting elevation - 6500'
Let's assume 40* F
At 550yd I'm down just over 2' with 300yd zero, pushing 2500+FPS and have over a ton of energy!
I'm thinking this could/would kill anything I might hunt in the lower 48, possibly Alaska too.

Anyone have an opinion...?

Last edited:
I like it. I didn't have any so I didn't try it. By the end of winter I'll have it worked out.

The Barnes LRX are exceptional bullets for big casings like the RUM's and now these 28-Noslers... I've posted time & time again about my Firebird's load using 168 LRX, and am very curious what the 28-Noslers end up shooting them at

I've got them between 3180 & 3200 in my Firebird and not topped right out, load just shoots too well to ask for more. In my own mind, I believe a solid like the LRX (at that) velocity is very well suited for penetration and hitting power at close ranges vs. animals as big as Grizzly or into big bones like Moose and such where a guy wants a driving solid to power through and break things, PLUS by being able to reach those muzzle velocities in those big-casings, they allow for the LRX to be a totally legitimate 700-800 yard bullet as well.
Alot of the smaller capacity cases struggle to get the big long Barnes to velocities that allow them real long-range use, but in the "heavies" it's a bullet pretty perfectly tailored.. you are absolutely on the right wave-length in thinking so*

Also, Wilkup, your comment regarding recoil is probably gonna hold true too.. in mine, at the velocity mentioned, I am actually able to spot my own hits when shooting targets. The recoil isn't ridiculous at all. The lrx load has been my favorite load coming 4 years now* Absolutely confident to carry that rifle on (any) hunt loaded-up with 168's. 0 to 800 is covered. They will do their job.

I like it. I didn't have any so I didn't try it. By the end of winter I'll have it worked out.

By winter, I really hope I'm shooting my new rifle! I'll let you know what works for me and where my speeds are at that point. I think this will be an awesome all-around stomper =) Speed kills!

Still waiting on my rifle at this point but am wondering about the 145gr LRX and pushing them towards the 3500FPS mark. I doubt they'd disintegrate like the ABLR is likely to do inside 300 yards, and they'd still have massive hydrostatic shock/trauma on anything within 550 yards.

Barnes LRX
145gr
Let's assume 40* F
At 550yd I'm down just over 2' with 300yd zero, pushing 2500+FPS and have over a ton of energy!
I'm thinking this could/would kill anything I might hunt in the lower 48, possibly Alaska too.

The Barnes LRX are exceptional bullets for big casings like the RUM's and now these 28-Noslers... I've posted time & time again about my Firebird's load using 168 LRX, and am very curious what the 28-Noslers end up shooting them at

I've got them between 3180 & 3200 in my Firebird and not topped right out, load just shoots too well to ask for more. In my own mind, I believe a solid like the LRX (at that) velocity is very well suited for penetration and hitting power at close ranges vs. animals as big as Grizzly or into big bones like Moose and such where a guy wants a driving solid to power through and break things, PLUS by being able to reach those muzzle velocities in those big-casings, they allow for the LRX to be a totally legitimate 700-800 yard bullet as well.
Alot of the smaller capacity cases struggle to get the big long Barnes to velocities that allow them real long-range use, but in the "heavies" it's a bullet pretty perfectly tailored.. you are absolutely on the right wave-length in thinking so*

Also, Wilkup, your comment regarding recoil is probably gonna hold true too.. in mine, at the velocity mentioned, I am actually able to spot my own hits when shooting targets. The recoil isn't ridiculous at all. The lrx load has been my favorite load coming 4 years now* Absolutely confident to carry that rifle on (any) hunt loaded-up with 168's. 0 to 800 is covered. They will do their job.
II just ordered 145LRX and 168LRX so I should have some data in a couple weeks. Arriving Fri, stuff shells over the weekend. Empty shells Monday report. Now if only that 4 letter beginning with "w" doesn't get in the way.

morning, question what if noslers 26 and 28 r not popular, will nosler quit

making the brass for reloading. 7mm mag. and 7STW have already

experineced this odoessey(sp). how many more cartridges will meet there

demise. i am not being negative. this is happening today!! remington

has quit making brass for certain cartridges do to lack of sales.

food for thought? i have a wbee action that i would like to made a 26 nosler.

I should have mentioned winchester made brass. If possible this is the only

brass i use, if possible, if not federal, norma, and nosler.lightbulb

NRA-TSRA life member

Always possible. WSSM seem.close to this.

There are always says to make or.get brass.

moring, i agree JF. amazing how the most popular cartridges according, to

popularity, accuracy, and availability r being phased out by the ammo

companies. more money in loaded ammo sales than reloading supplies.

we r the suffers. i would like to build a 28 nosler, but how long is nosler

going to produce the brass. look what happened to the 7WSM. which

the 7WSM has the same ballistics as the 28 nosler. this strange how

one caliber makes an appearance and another disappears??

NRA-TSRA life memberlightbulb

the 7WSM has the same ballistics as the 28 nosler.

This statement is not true. The ballistic difference between the 28 Nosler and the 7mm WSM, is the same as that of the 7mm WSM and the 7mm-08 Remington. Think of the 28 Nosler as a standard length WSM shell, which means more powder.

According to Nosler's load data:

150gr bullet
7mm-08 Remington
2869FPS

7mm WSM
3136FPS

28 Nosler
3425FPS

II just ordered 145LRX and 168LRX so I should have some data in a couple weeks. Arriving Fri, stuff shells over the weekend. Empty shells Monday report. Now if only that 4 letter beginning with "w" doesn't get in the way.

Looking forward to hearing what kind of speeds you're able to achieve with the lighter 145s! Will you be checking pressures on the loading as you have in the past?
Thanks for guinea pigging this for us who patiently wait for an opportunity to do it on our own with our own rifles.

Looking forward to hearing what kind of speeds you're able to achieve with the lighter 145s! Will you be checking pressures on the loading as you have in the past?
Thanks for guinea pigging this for us who patiently wait for an opportunity to do it on our own with our own rifles.
Yes I will hook up the Pressure Trace II to this test series.

Barnes LRX
145gr
Let's assume 40* F

My opinion after using many Barnes TTSX and LRX is there varmint and light game bullets, shooting them fast blows the front of them of and you have a small shank left to try to travel through an animal, sometimes it makes it through sometime it turns to the side but very unreliable on heavy game such as elk. Used to shoot nothing but Barnes till I got a change to shoot a lot of elk out in open fields where you see everything that happens, they can just move a little and you loose sight of them, after two years of that I switch to Berger or Matrix and have not had to shoot an elk twice with the same shot placement and the biggest thing is no deflections, every bullet goes through the vitals. I still load Barnes as a coyote load because they will stand up the velocity and shoot flat for a few hundred yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.