28 nosler

What velocity and accuracy are you seeing with these over Retumbo? I'm planning to load some 143s up.
I got 3490fps is a 26" barrel over N570. Compressed charge and never hit pressure. So you could definitely get 3500+ with a little faster powder IMO. 1/2 MOA out of a 1-8 twist benchmark.

What velocity and accuracy are you seeing with these over Retumbo? I'm planning to load some 143s up.
2440 fps and superb accuracy. I'm shooting a Browning X-Bolt McMillan

Attachments

• 143 gr Hammer Hunter.JPG
    143 gr Hammer Hunter.JPG
    405.4 KB · Views: 55
I got 3490fps is a 26" barrel over N570. Compressed charge and never hit pressure. So you could definitely get 3500+ with a little faster powder IMO. 1/2 MOA out of a 1-8 twist benchmark.
Those are impressive numbers. I'm shooting a 24" 1-9 twist. Excited to see my results!

If this was a real viable process and material why have I not seen it. With all the technology and money in the entire world I really believe this would have been done 7-10 decades ago.
Until recent years, there was no real interest, at least from a marketing standpoint, in hyper-velocity calibers. And, from an economic standpoint, it is cheaper to rebarrel. This forum and its adherents (long range shooters) did not exist. Long range shots were the stuff of campfire tales and military sniper feats. As it seems that more people are willing to spend larger sums on custom rifles, and the market volume is growing with new barrel makers and cartridge developers, it makes sense to consider the large investment in tooling to make barrels and liners from super-alloys. The inconels and hastalloys are costly materials, made for military and space applications, and they require carbide and diamond tooling to machine. EDM shops exist just to make parts from these materials. None of this existed 7-10 decades ago.

Until recent years, there was no real interest, at least from a marketing standpoint, in hyper-velocity calibers. And, from an economic standpoint, it is cheaper to rebarrel. This forum and its adherents (long range shooters) did not exist. Long range shots were the stuff of campfire tales and military sniper feats. As it seems that more people are willing to spend larger sums on custom rifles, and the market volume is growing with new barrel makers and cartridge developers, it makes sense to consider the large investment in tooling to make barrels and liners from super-alloys. The inconels and hastalloys are costly materials, made for military and space applications, and they require carbide and diamond tooling to machine. EDM shops exist just to make parts from these materials. None of this existed 7-10 decades ago.
Exactly!

If you told me you can make me a 28 Nosler barrel that would last 3,000 rounds I'd pay $2000 plus more for it.

Honestly a $5000 rifle with a cost of $2000 more total of $7000 is not a big deal to the guys paying big dollar for rifles especially if they could get say 4 or 5 times more barrel life out of it.

Exactly!

If you told me you can make me a 28 Nosler barrel that would last 3,000 rounds I'd pay $2000 plus more for it.

Honestly a $5000 rifle with a cost of $2000 more total of $7000 is not a big deal to the guys paying big dollar for rifles especially if they could get say 4 or 5 times more barrel life out of it.
I can't cite a number of rounds, but because the alloys I'm talking about are made to operate for years at freakishly high temps with almost immeasurably low erosion, I would guess that 3000 is a low number. This would open up a whole new field in shooting. Bullets would have to be redesigned with better jacket materials than copper to withstand the friction, possibly with built-in wetting agents like moly, and with less barrel/jacket contact area. Even atmospheric air friction would become a serious design factor. New powders/case materials. A real expansion of the industry and advances in materials and engineering sciences.

I can't cite a number of rounds, but because the alloys I'm talking about are made to operate for years at freakishly high temps with almost immeasurably low erosion, I would guess that 3000 is a low number. This would open up a whole new field in shooting. Bullets would have to be redesigned with better jacket materials than copper to withstand the friction, possibly with built-in wetting agents like moly, and with less barrel/jacket contact area. Even atmospheric air friction would become a serious design factor. New powders/case materials. A real expansion of the industry and advances in materials and engineering sciences.
If things move forward with this, I have a smoked 28 Nosler barrel in my gun safe you can use for information. Real life throat erosion, potential throat sleeve depth, etc. If you want the barrel, all I ask is that I get cool info along the way as you figure things out lol.

Wolf Precision has a cool two part barrel system. The chamber sleeve is cut separately and attached to the barrel afterwards. Might be a good place to start getting info.

If things move forward with this, I have a smoked 28 Nosler barrel in my gun safe you can use for information. Real life throat erosion, potential throat sleeve depth, etc. If you want the barrel, all I ask is that I get cool info along the way as you figure things out lol.

Wolf Precision has a cool two part barrel system. The chamber sleeve is cut separately and attached to the barrel afterwards. Might be a good place to start getting info.
If this interest continues to grow, I will do some proforma leg work to see what a prototype will cost.