28 Nosler

I've not played with my 28 Nosler a lot. I have only shot two loads from it. Both shoot well, with one shooting sub 1/2 moa at 400 yds. I've done no tuning on either of the two loads.

I think I read a post from Ryan Pearce saying that the 28 is the easiest round to tune and it pretty much shoots everything well. Does that mirror others experience?
It's probably the hardest to stay in tune. The throat moves so fast, the 195 is pretty easy to shoot but by the time you find a seating depth it changes.

Ryan's rifles shoot amazing, I have one of his 28s. Probably my favorite rifle, shot the barrel off it once. Now I don't shoot it as much after the rebarrel. Just hunt with it now.

I'm with Alex Wheeler on the 28Nos falling out of tune quick, simply because of the throat going quick.
If you tune a long distance. 003 is were I do seating depth tests, typically you can get a .005-.006 node so if you run in the middle of that .004 your out which means 50 rounds max you gotta retune, could be as simple as moving the bullet but maybe not. Of course its gonna depend on the accuracy you are striving for.
If you run 570 for max accuracy its probably gonna fall out at about 35.
Once you get through the settle down- speed up on the barrel there really isn't alot of barrel life left.
I also thought I read were Ryan said he quit building 28 Nos because of throat wear. They know doudt shoot well I have found 33 and 568 to be the best only problem is 33 is no were to be found and terrible dirty, in my opinion 568 is a better powder suited all the way around for the 28

My 28N is in love with 160gr Accubonds pushed with R26. Groups in the mid .3s at 100yds. I haven't played with it alot. It didn't like 175gr ABLRs with H1000 or Retumbo. Groups were all over 1.25".

I got a smoking deal 6 years ago on A case of 28 ammo 175 ABLR for free with the purchase of my 28 Nosler and My Dad bought one at the same time. I've been holding all of the brass once fired.

Any suggestions on load data as I will be trying it next season. I have a Lab Radar and All of the equipment. I have 175 Accubond LRs I plan on using. Along with access to a variety of powders.
As far as powder what does everyone like?
I have RL 33 About 9 pounds I got pre COVID incase I wanted it for the 28. Not sure now if that's the best for me?

H1000 or Retumbo look promising also? I have a few pounds of H1000 I got recently incase I want to try that as well. I understand H1000 is very temp stable. Does anyone know if RL33 is as well? Or what is the most accurate load they have.
I've had a 28 since 2016 and have reloaded for 6 different 28's have used Berger bullets for all and H1000 for 5 of them and Retumbo in only one. 33 was accurate but dirty and all my experience is that 28's like too be clean, no more than 25 rounds before cleaning. I go hunt with 3 shots down the barrel. I do have one load for close range with Nosler Partitions.

I have not shot anything lighter than 180's in my 28N. Right now I'm running 195's @3030fps with R33 in a slower node and very happy with it. I haven't seen R33 in years but my LGS said Alliant told him early next year. I also have N570, but as has been mentioned, both are very dirty powders. You have to stay on top of the carbon or your accuracy goes downhill quickly. I think Ryan Pierce and Axisworks suggest the higher node around 3175 with the 195 Bergers. I've shot mine that fast but I'm happy with the speed and accuracy I'm getting now. Hoping that running the slower node buys me some more barrel life. Also, I have not experienced any stability problems using R33 in the AZ heat. It has been consistent for me between 40-100 degrees.

I have a pet 28 Nosler load of 84g of RL 33 behind 177g Hammer Hunters. It has a big bull elk, a Wyoming bighorn sheep, a 200"mule deer and a great antelope buck since I put it together 5 years ago. It also shot the 175g ABLR well but the Hammers go in one hole in my rig.
I work up loads in temps that I hunt in and I have no problems with RL 33, in fact I traded a guy last week for a couple more lbs.

Last edited:
I have a pet 28 Nosler load of 84g of RL 33 behind 177g Hammer Hunters. It has a big bull elk, a Wyoming bighorn sheep, a 200"mule deer and a great antelope buck since I put it together 5 years ago. It also shot the 174g ABLR well but the Hammers go in one hole in my rig.
I work up loads in temps that I hunt in and I have no problems with RL 33, in fact I traded a guy last week for a couple more lbs.
How fast are those Hammers being launched at? Talk about 1 load that can do anything in NA or Alaska.

I'm getting 3150 out of a 26" Proof barrel.
I've toned it down a bit with "new" Lapua brass at 3100, but it's still shooting lights out.
It is a very versatile cartridge from our experience.
By the way, all of those animals except the 350"bull elk were taken by my son.
I'm guessing it's his rifle at this point.

I have a pet 28 Nosler load of 84g of RL 33 behind 177g Hammer Hunters. It has a big bull elk, a Wyoming bighorn sheep, a 200"mule deer and a great antelope buck since I put it together 5 years ago. It also shot the 175g ABLR well but the Hammers go in one hole in my rig.
That rifles a Horn magnet, don't burn it out!

Recent Posts