28 Nosler...

My opinion after using many Barnes TTSX and LRX is there varmint and light game bullets, shooting them fast blows the front of them of and you have a small shank left to try to travel through an animal, sometimes it makes it through sometime it turns to the side but very unreliable on heavy game such as elk. Used to shoot nothing but Barnes till I got a change to shoot a lot of elk out in open fields where you see everything that happens, they can just move a little and you loose sight of them, after two years of that I switch to Berger or Matrix and have not had to shoot an elk twice with the same shot placement and the biggest thing is no deflections, every bullet goes through the vitals. I still load Barnes as a coyote load because they will stand up the velocity and shoot flat for a few hundred yards.

That is disappointing news. I hadn't heard of petals blowing off at high speed, which is my biggest reason for wanting the solid copper bullet... I was hoping to have a screamer for close and long range hunting. I'm still not totally comfortable shooting the VLD style bullets after my last bear season with them.

My opinion after using many Barnes TTSX and LRX is there varmint and light game bullets, shooting them fast blows the front of them of and you have a small shank left to try to travel through an animal, sometimes it makes it through sometime it turns to the side but very unreliable on heavy game such as elk. Used to shoot nothing but Barnes till I got a change to shoot a lot of elk out in open fields where you see everything that happens, they can just move a little and you loose sight of them, after two years of that I switch to Berger or Matrix and have not had to shoot an elk twice with the same shot placement and the biggest thing is no deflections, every bullet goes through the vitals. I still load Barnes as a coyote load because they will stand up the velocity and shoot flat for a few hundred yards.
This is the complete opposite of my experience. Deer and elk. bang flop.

Perhaps we should start a separate thread documenting Barnes TTSX and LRX failures.

Anybody running 168gr Berger Classics in their 28s...?
You getting good speeds?
How's the accuracy?
Do they load up pretty easily?

I'm still not totally comfortable shooting the VLD style bullets after my last bear season with them.

I thought your Matrix bullet hit bear traveled less than 10 yards and fell dead? Or is there a more recent bear hunting story?

I though your Matrix bullet hit bear traveled less than 10 yards and fell dead? Or is there a more recent bear hunting story?

Nothing new to date, missed bear season this year in the northwest after relocating to Texas earlier this year for work. The Matrix performed exceptionally, but the lack of blood trail continues to be troubling. I've taken coyotes with the matrix and got massive blood puddles but want to try something new.

Still waiting on my rifle at this point but am wondering about the 145gr LRX and pushing them towards the 3500FPS mark. I doubt they'd disintegrate like the ABLR is likely to do inside 300 yards, and they'd still have massive hydrostatic shock/trauma on anything within 550 yards.

I'm thinking this could/would kill anything I might hunt in the lower 48, possibly Alaska too.

Anyone have an opinion...?

Opinion offered on large brown bear. This combo will kill a bear with a well placed shot, but will it stop one intent on killing you before you're dead?

338s and larger would be my preference/opinion. At least a 30. Brown bear with 7mms and with 338s? Obvious difference in affect on the bears, in the short term - first 10 seconds.

If they're far enough away that they die with a well placed shot before they can get to you, the smaller calibers will certainly kill them too. I wouldn't bring a 7mm to hunt brown bear if the guided hunt was going to cost $20,000.

Opinion offered on large brown bear. This combo will kill a bear with a well placed shot, but will it stop one intent on killing you before you're dead?

338s and larger would be my preference/opinion. At least a 30. Brown bear with 7mms and with 338s? Obvious difference in affect on the bears, in the short term - first 10 seconds.

If they're far enough away that they die with a well placed shot before they can get to you, the smaller calibers will certainly kill them too. I wouldn't bring a 7mm to hunt brown bear if the guided hunt was going to cost $20,000.

Thanks for weighing in on this =) Always nice to get a local's perspective on things. I guess I should've qualified my AK portion of the statement. I do not currently, nor do I foresee ever having the means to purchase a hunt for the big bad coastal Browns in AK and realistically mountain Grizzly won't likely make my list of planned hunts up there either. I plan to do a caribou and black bear drop camp someplace in the Brooks Range and pick up as many other inexpensive tags I might be able to fill along the way. I believe this round would make easy work of anything on my list I might take a peak through my scope at up there.

Last edited:
That round will kill everything in Alaska with a well placed shot, given sufficient time.

Many Alaskans use 338 Win Mags, a caliber larger than necessary, to harvest game animals because there are either grizzly, brown, or black bears just about anywhere and everywhere you might hunt. In the Brooks you'll have grizzlies. And some bears will hunt you even though you're not hunting them.

A Texas man was mauled by a sow brown bear about 25 miles from my house just two weeks ago. He was hunting moose with his brother, who lives in Alaska. His brother was calling moose and instead of a bull moose, a sow with two cubs came in and mauled the Texan. He saw the bear coming, hollered and got a shot off but failed to stop the bear. The sow spanked and mauled him pretty good. If his brother hadn't come running and hollering from 40yds away, and shot the bear several times, who knows what might have become of the Texan. The mauling victim was in the hospital at the time local F&G officials found the dead sow, a little more than 100 yds from where the mauling took place.

They were using 300 Win Mags, according to the articles in the local paper. In those situations, I would much prefer a 338 or larger caliber rifle. I use a 30 caliber magnum for almost all of my sheep, caribou, goat, and black bear hunting, even though smaller calibers would kick less and kill sufficiently. I don't like spankings... :)

And on Kodiak Island, when hunting deer, I use a rifle that's overkill on deer.

morning, question what if noslers 26 and 28 r not popular, will nosler quit

making the brass for reloading. 7mm mag. and 7STW have already

experineced this odoessey(sp). how many more cartridges will meet there

demise. i am not being negative. this is happening today!! remington

has quit making brass for certain cartridges do to lack of sales.

food for thought? i have a wbee action that i would like to made a 26 nosler.

I should have mentioned winchester made brass. If possible this is the only

brass i use, if possible federal, norma, and nosler.lightbulb

NRA-TSRA life member

r not the 26-28 nosler and the 7WSM disigned off the 404 jefferies.lightbulb

That round will kill everything in Alaska with a well placed shot, given sufficient time.

Many Alaskans use 338 Win Mags, a caliber larger than necessary, to harvest game animals because there are either grizzly, brown, or black bears just about anywhere and everywhere you might hunt. In the Brooks you'll have grizzlies. And some bears will hunt you even though you're not hunting them.

A Texas man was mauled by a sow brown bear about 25 miles from my house just two weeks ago. He was hunting moose with his brother, who lives in Alaska. His brother was calling moose and instead of a bull moose, a sow with two cubs came in and mauled the Texan. He saw the bear coming, hollered and got a shot off but failed to stop the bear. The sow spanked and mauled him pretty good. If his brother hadn't come running and hollering from 40yds away, and shot the bear several times, who knows what might have become of the Texan. The mauling victim was in the hospital at the time local F&G officials found the dead sow, a little more than 100 yds from where the mauling took place.

They were using 300 Win Mags, according to the articles in the local paper. In those situations, I would much prefer a 338 or larger caliber rifle. I use a 30 caliber magnum for almost all of my sheep, caribou, goat, and black bear hunting, even though smaller calibers would kick less and kill sufficiently. I don't like spankings... :)

Sounds like I may be purchasing a switch barrel for my 28 that shoots the 375 caliber wildcat that jfseaman has created on the 26 case. I also am not a fan of "spankins".

Sounds like down the road, I may be purchasing a switch barrel for my 28 that shoots the 375 caliber wildcat that jfseaman has created on the 26 case. I also have a healthy dislike of "spankins". I'm guessing a 250gr TTSX would stop a big bear and those 145gr 7mms should kill anything I want outside AK =)

II just ordered 145LRX and 168LRX so I should have some data in a couple weeks. Arriving Fri, stuff shells over the weekend. Empty shells Monday report. Now if only that 4 letter beginning with "w" doesn't get in the way.

Hey Fred, any updates to report on those LRXs? Hopefully things all worked out for you in regards to loading and shooting these new rounds.
Thanks for all your work and willingness to share your findings with us!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.