28 Nosler problems

Yup, been there done that. I've felt the sting. I'm actually going to be working up a load for another 28 in a week or so when I go on days off. ADG brass and 570. Good luck buddy, and keep me posted on what you figure out.
Me too. I'm having similar issues and haven't fired a cartridge yet. Going to start another thread and not hijack this one.

Another way to find out chamber neck size is measure a few cases after shooting so long as your calibers are reading correctly... I shoot 10 medium / hot loads,,, 10 hots,,, I see 0.0015 difference in those 2 sets... The hot loads don't spring back as much as the medium / hots...

Ball mic the thickness of the neck to,,, this will give you a pretty close guess-ti-mate on the expansion of cartridge...

Once you resize,,, get a measurement,,, another once the boolitz are seated,,, now you'll have some information you can run with when loading the ammo...

Kind of nice to keep a record of this as the rifle wears in over the months ahead,,, I keep a record of all my rifles so I know when there worn out or getting close to it... Ha

I had trouble with Nos. brass in my Christensen 28. Couldnt run very fast without heavy bolt lift. I switched to Bertram brass- the necks were .002 thiner than Nos (IIRW) and no more problems.
I would try neck turning or diff. brass.

If you can't put a bullet in a fired case, that's one sigh that the case is too long. Check your case length and if they are within spec, you might trim to minimum length and try to load and fire. If the case is too long that will also cause high pressures.

Good suggestion... I didn't spend much time on case length since they re brand new.

I ll check but think they were measuring 2.580-2.583 before firing.

OP: By chance do you know the lot# of the brass? My 4 boxes are #86424 and they all just got an anneal. Resized much better and the 195 seated in the case way easier. I think the problem was solved, gonna find out soon?
20190723_171124.jpg
20190723_181130.jpg

sounds like a tight barrel... I have the start load is too hot issue also with my 7rum... I've had to back down further and use a slower powder- in this case a switch from retumbo to h50bmg... I also switched bullets as the one pill stopped shooting when I backed off/ also redid the bbl. bedding...

sounds like a tight barrel... I have the start load is too hot issue also with my 7rum... I've had to back down further and use a slower powder- in this case a switch from retumbo to h50bmg... I also switched bullets as the one pill stopped shooting when I backed off/ also redid the bbl. bedding...
I'v used 5010(before H50BMG) in my 7STW, and it was TOO SLOW, but the heaviest bullet at the time was 175. I have some H50BMG to try in the 28NOS with the 195EOL next, to see where we get to?

helping friend break in his new Fierce CT Edge in 28 Nosler. He brought me Hornady cases, Retumbo powder and 180 ELDM s.

Anyway loaded 77 grs for first round shot, bolt was stuck and finally got open but a pop of hand on final bolt lift. Backed charge down to 75 grs and seated bullet back another .100. Cleaned rifle ( barrel showed minimal copper) and fired another round; Ditto, same problem. So cleaned again and loaded 2 rounds and ran over chronograph... 2850 and two more stuck, hard to extract cases. A bullet does not want to fit in fired case, inside diameter around .284. Anyone else ran into this problem?

Thinking brass a little on thick side in neck and chamber possibly on tight side. Case expansion .002 on shoulder and nothing on web, same as unfired.

Looking for suggestions. Thinking I might neck turn a couple new cases and see if that solves problem. Sucks that he bought 200 rounds of Hornady brass; wondering if Nosler or Morma brands wouldn't of experienced this problem.

BTW, brass weighs 258-260
Grs and is roughly .014 thick on the neck. If anyone has a different brand of brass would love to hear your neck thickness.
Thx !
Have you measured your chamber to get a proper trim length? I had this happen once where I had to trim .010 shorter than standard trim length do to a short chamber.

I'v used 5010(before H50BMG) in my 7STW, and it was TOO SLOW, but the heaviest bullet at the time was 175. I have some H50BMG to try in the 28NOS with the 195EOL next, to see where we get to?
5010 was a great powder in the 7stw... problem was you had to go to well compressed loads (around 88 grains) and crunch a 175-180 in... Kool thing was you were still getting 3K to 3100 fps and a bit lower pressure than the other available powders... Back off a bit... 180's in hodgdon show 85-90 gr... I'd walk up from 80 with a 195...

Friend broke down and got some Nosler 175 LRAB factory loads; exact same problem.

Fired cases showing some lateral scratches in them... thinking it s a gun issue and he plans to talk to manufacturer.

As I was re-reloading this brass with the 195EOL/Retumbo combo today, this is for the new user's of the BIG SEVEN's: Treat them like the top fuel dragster they are! All that performance has a cost and they aint budget minded cartridges!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.