Inside Neck Reamer, 28 Nosler Brass problem

Kmccord

To all, I have a 28 Nosler that I am starting to have issues with the brass forming donuts, I don't have a Neck reamer, just a Lyman Universal power trimmer, from what I have read, I don't think Lyman makes an inside neck reamer. So, it looks like I will need to purchase something to use for reaming the donuts out, what do you guys recommend to purchase? What do you guys do to improve accuracy for the necks of your brass? Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Seems like this is fairly common lately with Nosler brass and SAAMI chambers in a variety of calibers. My son's 280ai also. Loose chambers, soft brass, high pressure and excessive sizing by factory dies combine to cause shoulder to move into neck.

I had to use a K&M cutter to remove the donuts in his 280ai, then skim turn necks. I went well into the shoulder with neck turner to "prolong" more donuts from forming. As long as brass is expanding excessively in loose chambers and being sized by a tight die, donuts will show up. A custom die, made from cases fired in your rifle, should end reoccurrence of the donut.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.