28 nosler help

Rkripler

I have a custom 28 nosler that I am trying to work up a load with 195's. So far I am having trouble getting these suckers on paper. They have been all over the place and cannot get them to group. I am loading them with re33 and started with 84.5 grains and went up to 85.5. The rounds are 20 thousand off the lands as well. I have been loading 180's and have them grouping well but still working on them but all under 1-3/4 at 100 yards. My gun is on a Difience action with a 26" brux #4 sporter barrell and a mcmillian stock and jew

What's your coal on these. I just finished one up and throated it for a coal of 3.735 and .020" off lands. Settled on 85.7 grs R33 and running 3220 fps. It's less than 1/2 moa out to 800 so far. Buddy I built it for plans to go further. You may need to adjust seating depth to see what it likes.

I have one that I set at .090 off the lands and one that likes it .015 off but both will shoot 1.5" groups at 100yds with retumbo seated about anywhere in between 76 grains and 79.5 grains........ might be something else

What's your coal on these. I just finished one up and throated it for a coal of 3.735 and .020" off lands. Settled on 85.7 grs R33 and running 3220 fps. It's less than 1/2 moa out to 800 so far. Buddy I built it for plans to go further. You may need to adjust seating depth to see what it likes.

How would you get 3200? I have heard of a touch over 3100, but not anywhere near 3200. I have a 28 with a 27" barrel and for it to 3100 but accurate at 3030-3070

Jewel trigger. The twist rate on the barrel is 1-8.5. Any suggestions is appreciated on why i would have issues with the 195's
What primers are you using, sure it's a 1-8.5 twist at least do the cleaning rod method to try and make sure stranger things have happened.

How would you get 3200? I have heard of a touch over 3100, but not anywhere near 3200. I have a 28 with a 27" barrel and for it to 3100 but accurate at 3030-3070

Not sure to be honest. That barrel has gotten faster and faster. Started out load dev at 85 grs, made it up to 88.8 and got pressure, most accurate was 88.4 at 3170. Shelved project for a while and went back to it about a month ago. Same keg of powder, temps were 25° higher and 88.4 showed very high pressure signs, extrusion, hard bolt lift, and not that accurate. Backed down to 88 and velocity stayed virtually the same, as did pressure signs. Same at 87.3. Scoped barrel thinking I had carbon ring causing a spike. No ring. Barrel is spotless. Kept going down and ended up at 85.7 with 3220 velocity. Checked magnetospeed on three rifles previously chronographed and all checked out fine. Loaded up 50 rounds and verified drops and accuracy out to 800. Still scratching my head!! No extrusion, easy bolt lift, and sd of 7.7. Accurate to boot. Never had a flattened primer in all this. The things that make you go hmmm. I'm thinking the FF brass would've affected it some but never seen that much. Any ideas?

Richard

We personally and a couple of our customers have seen the Nosler case show no pressure signs at all. No bolt lift, ejector mark, etc, until a primer blows. So to our experience this cartridge can be over pressure without showing it.

Steve

I have a custom 28 nosler that I am trying to work up a load with 195's. So far I am having trouble getting these suckers on paper. They have been all over the place and cannot get them to group. I am loading them with re33 and started with 84.5 grains and went up to 85.5. The rounds are 20 thousand off the lands as well. I have been loading 180's and have them grouping well but still working on them but all under 1-3/4 at 100 yards. My gun is on a Difience action with a 26" brux #4 sporter barrell and a mcmillian stock and jew
I had this very same problem with a a 28 Nosler I purchased here on the forum. The load I was given was the same as yours. I called the smith that made the gun and this is what he said. Clean the heck out of the barrel. RL33 dirties up fast and will cause pressure spikes and velocity spreads in a dirty barrel. Back off the load a couple of grains and rework your load. He recommended a 400yd ladder test at .2gr increments. My new load ended up being 85.8gr and considerable improvement in accuracy. Holes touching accuracy at 100yds. Velocity is about 3120. The smith recommended clean the barrel with Bore Tec Eliminator dry swab then scrub with Remington 40x bore cleaner. Dry swab then a little oil. The smith also stated some of his guns like 3140+ fps and some like 3100-3115 fps. Ryan Pierce is the smith I'm talking about and was very helpful. Good luck.

Steve, I agree 100 %. I am shootin a 7 Ultra Rogue (AI) and it is the same way. I pushed it to pressure and that pressure was only in the form of primer pocket failure.it was deceiving not to have other signs sooner. I know the 28 is a high pressure chambering but that seems pretty fast, my case cap is around 17 grains more than my 28 nosler and in order for my 28 to keep brass in check I get nowhere near that velocity, 3050 is where it seems to like it , when I push the 28 to 3100+ my brass dosent last much past 2 firings. I know all chambers and barrels are different and shooting in the south is not the best conditions lol

That reminds me, when I picked this project back up the second shot had gas leakage around primer. The 12 cases it took me to get back to 85.7 had slightly loose primer pockets. Most likely trash after next firing. I measured every conceivable spot on cases and they weren't stretched much but they wouldn't rechamber with just neck sizing. So I FL sized and they're fine. Prolly best for hunting rig anyway (FL sizing)

That is why I only F/L size not worth a round not chambering when the animal of a lifetime presents itself. I believe F/L resizing done properly is as accurate for a hunting round anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts