Quick Load help with 28 Nosler

maninthemaze

Would someone care to run a 28 Nosler through quick load using reloder 26. I have been running 64.2 grains of R26 in my 7wsm with great results. I have decided to rebarrel it and change it to a 28 Nosler in the process. I still have 5 pounds of R26 that I would really like to use in the 28. I have asked Berger for load data, and they sent me some, but said they don't have any load data using R26.*

Thanks in advance

Berger 195 EOL bullet and I'm not sure of the COAL. I just received my barrel yesterday and will be sending everything to the gunsmith shortly. The factory COAL is 3.499. My smith is supposed to throat the gun for the Berger's and so they will still fit in my magazine box. It's a Stiller Tac 300, so there should be plenty of room.*

Thanks

Not to sound unappreciative of the help, but I have Google as well. But if you can post a direct link to someone, somewhere that has posted using Reloder 26 and the Berger 195, that would be helpful. And yes, I've emailed Berger, they currently haven't done any testing with R26 in the 28 Nosler with their 195's.

Thanks anyways!!!

I would be happy to help but I just so happen to suck at quickload. In my limited experience I don't know how you would know the COAL without actually loading up a bullet. To me it seams like you should be able to enter how far off the lands you would be but that must vary from rifle to rifle. Also I think knowing the case length and how many grains a shot piece of brass will hold of water is really important as far as calculated pressures and case volume percentage. Now having said all that I wish someone would come on here and say "hey dummy just do this.....". So if you want to try and measure the case length of a once fired piece of brass, then weigh it full of water then I could use Sammi spec for COAL and at least try to get you in the ballpark. I hope you can see I'm trying to help you get the most accurate info.

Thanks, I really appreciate the offer. I've never even seen quick load before so you are well ahead of me. I have just seen in the past people post a bunch of load recipes. I didn't know it was that specific, but I guess it has to be. Either way, I won't have that info until I get my gun back from the smith. I haven't even bought any brass yet. I was just trying to get ahead of the game and be ready for when I get the gun back.

Thank you though!!!

I do not believe the 28 Nosler is on quick load. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

28 nosler is in quickload. I don't think rl-26 will be the right powder for the 195 you end up having a low case fill 80-85% depending on length. might try retumbo or rl-33

Quickload and the 28 Nosler do not get along, your a long way of from getting any kind of usable info any way with an over all length.

28 nosler is in quickload. I don't think rl-26 will be the right powder for the 195 you end up having a low case fill 80-85% depending on length. might try retumbo or rl-33

Thanks for the suggestions. I have some data from Berger using the R33 and Retumbo, I was really just hoping to find a starting point for the R26. I know it's temp stable where the other two aren't. Maybe I'll just kinda throw some in the case using the SWAG theorem and go from there, starting low of course.

I need to check my version, may need an update.

Maninthemaze,

If you want to provide the following info, as accurately as possible,
I can run some QL "What if's", and provide the results, if you are interested.

This QL info will be the lowest safe starting loads,
for bullet/powder combo's etc.

1. Bbl length, from breech face to end of rifling, (closest 1/8").
2. H20 capacity of fired cases in YOUR chamber, (not resized).
3. Case trimmed length for you chamber.
4. Cartridge OVERALL loaded length.
(that fits your chamber, seated with bullet jumped or into the lands etc.)
5. Bullet brand name/number, you want to test.
6. Powders you want to use or have on hand.
7. Powder load ratio of case,(75%-80%-90% filled with powder,
QL suggests a minimum of 75% case filled).

Tia,
Don

Would someone care to run a 28 Nosler through quick load using reloder 26. I have been running 64.2 grains of R26 in my 7wsm with great results. I have decided to rebarrel it and change it to a 28 Nosler in the process. I still have 5 pounds of R26 that I would really like to use in the 28. I have asked Berger for load data, and they sent me some, but said they don't have any load data using R26.*

Thanks in advance

Berger 195 EOL bullet and I'm not sure of the COAL. I just received my barrel yesterday and will be sending everything to the gunsmith shortly. The factory COAL is 3.499. My smith is supposed to throat the gun for the Berger's and so they will still fit in my magazine box. It's a Stiller Tac 300, so there should be plenty of room.*

Thanks

Thank you for the help. I'm really just wanting a starting point. I will probably even start lower than whatever suggestions you might have, just to be safe. And since I don't have a complete rifle in front of me, I understand that the accuracy given by quick load will only be as accurate as the data that I give you to enter. Much of this is taking from a bunch of info gathered mostly from rpierce's threads.

#1 barrel length 26"
#2 case capacity of 101.6
#3 trimmed length 2.600
#4 COAL 3.740
#5 Berger EOL 195 grain elite hunter 28550
#6 Reloder 26 and 33
#7 between 80% and 95% filled in 1% increments if that's even possible

Thank you very much. And I promise Darwin will not win with my wanting to use R26 in a 28 Nosler.

Man

Couple of questions,

1. Case capacity = 101.6 grs of H2o?
Fired case? Nosler brass?
Nosler states 92.5 grs H2o = 9.2gr difference????

2. Overall loaded cartridge length of 3.740"?
Seems very/awful long?
Nosler states 3.340"

Tia,
Don

Man

Couple of questions,

1. Case capacity = 101.6 grs of H2o?
Fired case? Nosler brass?
Nosler states 92.5 grs H2o = 9.2gr difference????

2. Overall loaded cartridge length of 3.740"?
Seems very/awful long?
Nosler states 3.340"

Tia,
Don

It's a fired case. Nosler is giving sammi spec or whatever the abbreviation is.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.