Quick Load help

Michael Lares

Examples of workups for QL. Proven acceptible results.
1) Take a fired case & weigh it.
fill case with water. have calipers handy & push bullet to target oal . carefully pull bullet out, wipe case dry etc. & weigh it
= h20 usable on QL. Adjust case capacity on QL to match actual.
2) Put bullet in your case extra long. color it with a sharpy. slowly close bolt on it in chamber = oal to lands.
Deduct oal you will be shooting = jump. Calculate starting pressure based on how much jump you have. (find calculators on internet).
3) Find real weighting factors on internet for your cartridge
4) enter real temps shooting at.
5) Finding the powder / bullet / barrel match is based on burn performance in barrel. Typically a good accurate load will show close to 100% burnt
at end of barrel. Try load with LOWEST muzzle press / blast with what I like to see case 100% full or close.
6) for fine tuning, move your bullet in & out of case with corresponding starting pressures. You can also use this to get your 100% full case.
Look for bullet time in barrel node charts on internet related to barrel length. Watch your BT (bullet time) as you adjust loads / barrel lengths / powder / bullets.
I shoot up to .250" jump with great results w/good brass neck turned.
That's to get started. Years of QL to get here!

#1 - post #3 corrects this
#2 - it is more accurate to load long and shorten until the bolt opens with no click off the primary extraction cam. It can be just a bit hard to feel, but you can feel it.
#3 I hate the idea of scouring the internet, but yes, you need to consider moving this number. I rarely change it.
#4 You can use real temps…., but I would suggest you consider max temp pressures. It is also good to consider actual temp velocities.
#5 find bullet base on use and velocity desired. Find powder based on the "powder finder". Also use common sense and try to apply "known accurate " powders for your cartridge. Yes, max case fill, max powder burn. I think muzzle pressure is for determining semi-auto port pressure or brake pressures.

Quickload is a great way to determine what the output of any load combination. I would warn you it generally produces slightly higher pressures than it predicts, imo. So be careful at max loads. It is also extremely sensitive to you putting good inputs in it!

READ THE DIRECTIONS! Seriously, they have good directions.

Some good info here… but what do you mean by
3) Find real weighting factors on internet for your cartridge

So instead of just answering the question you become a smart a**, huh? Weighting factors of what? Do you mean powder charges by weight?
there is no real world weighting factor for a specific cartridge. it is the amount of unburnt powder and gases going down the barrel.
different powders in the same case will have different weighting factors. powders with large grains like N570, RL33, 50BMG will be different then ball powders with basic burn rate, basically one flows through the neck easier than the other, those large grains get stopped up a bit in the neck. even cases with 20 degree are different than the same case with a 40 degree shoulder even if the angle is the only change. you will adjust weighting factor and even start pressure more by experience than any set formula that i have ever seen.

That was not a smartass answer. The weighting factor relates to the amount of powder that attempts to follow the bullet down the bore. QL seems to use a default value of 0.5 for modern bottlenecked rifle cartridges but that can only be a rough approximation. Real world weighting factors (Seibert factor in GRT) will vary considerably because of case design (shoulder geometry, neck diameter, etc., and it may even vary when powders and bullet weights are considered). The value entered in Weighting Factor field has a significant effect on pressures and velocities.

Weighing cases is a waste of time. Reason is you have no idea of where and IF the weight difference is in an area that impacts internal Volume. Speedy Gonzalez taught me this many years ago. People still do it and if it makes them feel better then, good for them.

Weighing cases is a waste of time. Reason is you have no idea of where and IF the weight difference is in an area that impacts internal Volume. Speedy Gonzalez taught me this many years ago. People still do it and if it makes them feel better then, good for them.
Correct. Weighing internal column is good idea.

So instead of just answering the question you become a smart a**, huh? Weighting factors of what? Do you mean powder charges by weight?
Weighting factors are a named field in QL. It is in there to show how the shape of the case, straight wall, normal bottle neck, overbore bottleneck. This is a relatively small tweak. Why was I being a smart ***? I would read the manual before l looked online.