Help with a 28 Nosler

BROWNT

Hey Guys I need yall's help. A good friend just dropped off a brand new Cooper 28 nosler. He wants me to try it out and see what it can do. I wanted to run the 195 Berger thru it but it comes with a 1:9, so he brought some 180 VLD's, brass and Retumbo. Any help would surely be appreciated as I know nothing of this round.

Nosler has on-line load data for the 28 Nos. They have data for the 175grn ABLR, which should put you in the ball park for the 180 VLD. They also list Retumbo.

link to Nosler's load data:

28 Nosler Load Data

I find it most interesting that the 28 Nosler surpasses the 7 RUM. Sure there is the fact that huge cases gain small amounts of velocity with the larger amounts of powder they require. IMO there is no way they can surpass the performance of the 7 RUM with its larger case, yet the smaller 28 Nosler soundly beats the 7 RUM in their published load data. IMO they have to be using higher pressures.

Looks like RL-33, US 869 and Retumbo are the best powders.

link to Nosler's load data:

28 Nosler Load Data

I find it most interesting that the 28 Nosler surpasses the 7 RUM. Sure there is the fact that huge cases gain small amounts of velocity with the larger amounts of powder they require. IMO there is no way they can surpass the performance of the 7 RUM with its larger case, yet the smaller 28 Nosler soundly beats the 7 RUM in their published load data. IMO they have to be using higher pressures.

Looks like RL-33, US 869 and Retumbo are the best powders.

I have never done much with a 7 RUM, but I always felt like data was pretty conservative.

I think you are right that the pressures are higher for the 28 Nosler to be faster.

Steve

The load I worked up for my 28 Nosler is;
195gr Berger EH
79.4gr Retumbo
3.632" COAL
0.012" off lands
3075fps

thanks for info it sure will give me a starting point. I have no idea about the 7RUM either but looking forward to playing with this 28. I guess there is really no chance the 195 will work at my elevation of 2250 ft. Wish it had a faster twist. Oh well the 180 should fly good and hopefully stomp a critter pretty hard. Gonna try and build a load this week and get some drop data and test it on a axis bull here at the house by the end of the week. Thank yall

thanks for info it sure will give me a starting point. I have no idea about the 7RUM either but looking forward to playing with this 28. I guess there is really no chance the 195 will work at my elevation of 2250 ft. Wish it had a faster twist. Oh well the 180 should fly good and hopefully stomp a critter pretty hard. Gonna try and build a load this week and get some drop data and test it on a axis bull here at the house by the end of the week. Thank yall
BROWNT,
Run your data on our twist rate calculator. Your altitude may make the 7mm 195 EOL work just fine with your 1-9 twist rate Read this :Twist RAte Stability Calculator Updated | Berger Bullets Blog so you can interpret your results accurately. As far as load data goes please contact us. you are dealing with a longer than the average bear bullet . Here is some seating depth testing information on the 195 EOL bullethttp://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/12/hybrid-science-how-to-load-hybrid-bullets-for-best-accuracy/

. It is a HYBRID bullet that incorporates both the secant (VLD) and tangent ogives into the nose design that makes them very tolerant of jump. Please contact us at [email protected]
Take care,

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.