28 nosler help?

Hunt West

New member to the sight but have crept around here some in the past for some information from you guys that are far more savvy about rifle set-ups than myself. I have a custom 28 nosler that I have been messing with for a little while now and can't seem to get past the 3/4 moa threshold. I have been running 168 VLD's and 175 ABLR's with H1000 powder. The rifle specs are:

700 action blue printed
Cut rifle barrel 1:9 twist 26" long heavy contour
HS stock bedded to the action
Nightforce scope & talley mounts

The bergers seem to perform best seated 10 thou off the lands and the nosler's at 25. Powder charges anywhere from 77-79 grains give best results thus far. I have loaded up from there with no signs of pressure problems but the groups begin to open up considerably. I may have unreal expectations but I kind of figured this setup to be 1/2 moa rifle like some of my other custom rifles. I am going to try some other powders in the next few weeks, but any advice to what you guys have found with your rifles would be greatly appreciated.

Above advice is good. My 28 seems to really shine with powders like Retumbo, RL 33, and N217. I didn't have any luck with H1000, RL-25, or MRP. Mine really likes N217.----SS

I don't own one but in general I believe the guys on this site without hesitation, the vast majority are very helpful and knowledgeable, if they say slow the powder then slow it !

IMO H1000 in the 26s and 28 Noslers is one step slower than Bullseye in a 44 Mag.
Retumbo did REALLY quirky crap in my 26s. Just fine in a 300 Win Mag class round.
RL33/RL50 N570... and errrgh US869 are the choices Id go with.
IF you can still find AA8700, that may be the ticket as well.... however with load data, you're going to have to do some intelligent extrapolation of data and some testing.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction guys. I had suspected some other powders would be the ticket but wasn't sure which ones were giving the best results.

New member to the sight but have crept around here some in the past for some information from you guys that are far more savvy about rifle set-ups than myself. I have a custom 28 nosler that I have been messing with for a little while now and can't seem to get past the 3/4 moa threshold. I have been running 168 VLD's and 175 ABLR's with H1000 powder. The rifle specs are:

700 action blue printed
Cut rifle barrel 1:9 twist 26" long heavy contour
HS stock bedded to the action
Nightforce scope & talley mounts

The bergers seem to perform best seated 10 thou off the lands and the nosler's at 25. Powder charges anywhere from 77-79 grains give best results thus far. I have loaded up from there with no signs of pressure problems but the groups begin to open up considerably. I may have unreal expectations but I kind of figured this setup to be 1/2 moa rifle like some of my other custom rifles. I am going to try some other powders in the next few weeks, but any advice to what you guys have found with your rifles would be greatly appreciated.

If you have done a complete seating depth test then I would move on to N570 or RL33. Load density is very good with these 2 powders and you will get more velocity also. Don't be afraid to jump either one of these bullets, they are both capable of 1/4" groups with the right load.

Id say RL33 or RL50.....
Especially with anything 168 or above...
I wouldn't mind playing with N570, but Vitavori propellants are **** hard to find around here.

I wont buy propellant online. I'll let a LGS absorb that. I'm simply not going to consume enough to make it worth my while..... btw, I can use google as well.

Just to update everyone who has helped or may be reading this for help as well. I picked up a pound each of Retumbo, RL33, and US-869. Fortunately we had a couple days of pretty weather over the weekend and I was able to test out a few loads in each. I was honestly expecting the RL33 to be the pick of the litter but as it turns out Retumbo consistently gave me 1/2 to 1/4 MOA groups. RL33 was next with the best group being 1/2 MOA. I didn't have much luck at all with the 869. The Load density is way better with 33 but Retumbo seems to group better thus far. I have only tried the 175 ABLR's so far, but plan to shoot some loads with 168 bergers this week. Thanks guys for all the replys and hopefully I can return the favor someday.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.