28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

I have a 28 built on a proof as well as a Brux honestly I like the proof the best. Here is one of my better 3 shot groups at 961 yards. 76 gr Retumbo 195 Bergers our of the proof View attachment 90245[/QUOTE

Thanks for your comments on Proof. I'll order a Proof carbon Sendero blank.

I checked Midway and see that they offer 2 different Whidden sets of dies. They both have a full length sizing die. Can they do a neck size only?

I've been using Lee collect sizing dies for my other cartridges. They eliminate the expander ball and minimize working the brass necks.
Would the Lee collect neck sizing be a good option?

On there full length sizing just use a bushing .002 smaller than your loaded rounds and it will work the necks very little. If your that worried about it anneal your brass and you won't have problems unless you run hot loads and kill your primer pockets.

If you don't like bushing dies Whiddens make non bushing dies also not sure if they make both for the 28 nosler. If you choose non-bushing you will have to get and expander kit to change neck tension

I use a Redding neck bushing die in conjunction with a Whidden bushing die.The Redding just sizes the neck, I take the bushing out of the Whidden so that it just bumps the shoulder, I just like to control 1 variable at a time.

My barrel is a sendaro lite it just fit my stock that I had better that the full sendaro.

Once I get the Proof Carbon barrel I'll need a reamer for the 195 Berger.
I can't find the 28 Nosler brass anywhere now. At SHOT Show Nosler told me that they would do their next production run in a month. I won't be able to take any cartridge measurements for a reamer until I get some brass and Berger bullets.

Does anyone have the specs for the reamer... or better yet, a properly cut reamer to sell or rent?

You should be able to find plenty of gunsmiths who have a 28 Nosler reamer

I've been told that the Berger 195 EOL bullets can fail to penetrate on elk and that I should be looking at monolitic bullets for better penetration on elk.
Does anyone have recommendations for elk hunting bullets for the 28N?

I live on an island with very limited local availability of things like reamers and gunsmiths.

I've ordered custom reamers in the past but expect to use the 28N reamer only once to cut one barrel.

I may look into renting a chamber reamer plus a throater reamer after I confirm the bullet I'll be using if I cant find someone with the reamer with the proper throat.

I've been told that the Berger 195 EOL bullets can fail to penetrate on elk and that I should be looking at monolitic bullets for better penetration on elk.
Does anyone have recommendations for elk hunting bullets for the 28N?

The 175 eld-x and the 175 long range AB or the 180 vld are a good compromise for the 28N. At higher altitudes (6000'-7000') you will still carry over a ton of energy @ 900 yards with any of these and still make it thru the shoulder to the vitals. Your major challenge will be reading the wind and mirage at those ranges to put the bullet where it needs to be.
The monolithic bullets, like the Barnes, work great but their bc #'s are not nearly as good and they won't expand as much as the lead core bullets do at lower speeds. IMO-They are a really good choice under 600 yards for any of the fast magnums and they won't damage as much meat either.

I know a couple people that I trust there judgement on the 195's and they have swore off them and went to the 180 bergers.

I should have been more specific, I have a 28 Nosler that shoots 180 Bergers really well. I just got shipping notification on my 195's so I am looking for reloading data and just general info on the combo.
Contact us at 714-441-7202 from 8am to 4:30pm EASTERN TIME MON thru FRI and we will be glad to help you with this information Tidus56.

Been following this thread and also in the beginning stages of chambering for a 28 Nosler. I am curious what most of you have been using for the neck diameter (on the reamer). I have the ability to turn necks and will skim cut them for concentricity, but was just wondering what other people were doing for a hunting rig?

Been following this thread and also in the beginning stages of chambering for a 28 Nosler. I am curious what most of you have been using for the neck diameter (on the reamer). I have the ability to turn necks and will skim cut them for concentricity, but was just wondering what other people were doing for a hunting rig?

I went with a .318, the Nosler brass that I built my reamer off of had some pretty thick necks .016+. IMO the best is to build a couple of dummy rounds seated to where you want the bullet with the brass that you are going to use and send them off to the reamer manufacturer.

With a .318 neck you must be turning necks quite a bit. Min saami spec for a reamer is .322. .318 is loaded round for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts