28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

rpierce

Official LRH Sponsor
Well after multiple problems with my target camera not getting reception at 1000 yds for my ladder test with the 28 nosler I decided to do it at 400 yds as I could see the bullet holes through my scope. I use my NF 15-55 for all load testing. I also did all testing off a harris bipod. I was using re33 and berger 7mm 195s. I started off at 86.6 gr and went up to 89. The 88-89 load had a slight ejector mark but the case dimensions stayed the same as the 86 gr load. Pockets were still pretty tight. 88.0-88.8 is an extremely accurate node forming a .95" group at 400, .237 moa. The vertical for the 88.0-88.8 was .55" or .1375 moa. 88.4-88.8 gr formed a .55" group and 88.6-88.8 went into the same hole. I had a few rounds left over of a 86.6 charge as I used them to get on target w. Heres the 3 shot group for that, 1.250" at 400 yds off a bipod. The whole ladder test measured 3.2" for the 13 shots, .8 moa, for a 2.4 gr spread in powder. Not too shabby. Also as a side note I was only getting .5 moa at 100 yds with many diff combos for this gun. As soon as I scooted back moa wise the groups shrunk drastically. I had a hunch this would be the case w this extremely long bullet after trying as many combos at 100 as I had. I will definitely be testing 88.4-88.8 for groups in the next few days. I chronoed 88.4 last week and it was 3140 fps. I will be trying this load out in the next dozen 28 noslers Im making for customers in the next few weeks.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com
563-586-2000

I should also note that I have a very long throat as I set it up specifically for the 195 bergers boat tail junction to be above the neck shoulder junction. This would most likely be a hot load in a sammi .188 freebore chamber.

Ya I saw that and worked up carefully. In this throat configuration in this particular rifle the case didn't expand anymore at 89 gr than 85.5 gr. Other than a slight ejector mark there wasn't any indication it was getting up there on the warm side. That load info from nosler was also for a load with a c.o.a.l of sammi spec which is 3.340. My c.o.a.l in this rifle is 3.740". Thats a huge difference which reduces pressure dramatically. If the brass only lasts 5-7 firings its not that big of a deal in my opinion as the barrel will be shot out in roughly 800 rounds. The barrel will likely last me 5 years for my personal gun Im building. For plinking I take my 6.5x47 out.

Ryan, this is great information and thank you for posting. Can you give these specifics:

Primer
Barrel length
Barrel twist
Altitude
Chrono used

Thanks again.

The only way you're getting by with what you are doing is massive freebore.
My M48 Patriot in 26 Nosler JAMS at 3.350.... (SAAMI spec is 3.3340 for both of these)
I WISH I had the **** freebore you created... gun)

RE33, CCI 250, , Berger 195 .020 off the lands. Brux 28" 1:8.5 Rem Varm, 700 FT Altitude, Magneto speed. Nosler wasn't thinking when they decided to load them that short. Its amazing at what the difference in performance w a bullet is when you have the proper freebore for it.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

**** right... I know what you mean. Plus, these new-age magnum rounds NEED that barrel length to get anything worthwhile out of them.. 26 is minimum.
The problem is after 26/28 inches, your ability to make it a hunting rifle is compromised. Ever try to swing a rifle with a 28+pipe on it at running game? It's not happening.

Yep I agree with you. These rifles were built though to go and lay out on a high vantage point and wait for the game to step out, not walking through the woods and shooting at moving game. Theres two different types of rifles. Light weight short barrel stalking rifles and then the long range magnums designed for shooting off a rest like a bipod etc.

Ryan,
Do you have the exact dimension for the amount of F.B. for this build? I'm going to get a reamer built and plan on running the 195's.
Thanks for all the information too !:)

-Mike

Sadly, In the badlands, a LOT of these style rifles are borderline useless...
Running from one coulee to the next or gunning it to a hilltop... I appreciate my sporter class rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.