28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

Rogue hunter: I am going to send in a dummy round to JGS and have them make me a reamer specific for the 195 since throating every barrel out is a pita, lol. My measurement from base to ogive is 3.975 at the lands with a hornady gauge. C.O.A.L is 3.730: This is the measurement Ive throated all the 28s Ive done so far to. This will get the 195 boat tail junction out of the neck shoulder junction. 180 hybrid boat tail junction is 30-40% up the neck in this configuration. Every one Ive done the customer wanted it specific for the 195s.

Jokostel: The gun without a scope or bipod is 8.5-8.7lbs depending on what my digital scale says. Not bad for a 28" rem varm barrel that's fluted.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

RE33, CCI 250, , Berger 195 .020 off the lands. Brux 28" 1:8.5 Rem Varm, 700 FT Altitude, Magneto speed. Nosler wasn't thinking when they decided to load them that short. Its amazing at what the difference in performance w a bullet is when you have the proper freebore for it.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

They were thinking. I have an email stating exactly what they were thinking.

Unfortunately the were not thinking with the potential in mind.

Jeff I never tested the 180s in them as I only had the 195 in mind when I started building them. I had all the parts quite a while ago but were waiting for the 195 to hit the market before I hit the go button on them for throating purposes. I did try h1000 a little bit but it didn't have much velocity before it started showing ejector marks and cases started expanding. That was a nice thing about re 33 is that the case dimensions stayed the same even though there was a slight ejector mark and it had the 195 moving 3150. At 89gr it became ever so slightly more pronounced and I think that's about the max I would try in this throat configuration w this rifle without expecting brass life to go down the tube. The primer pockets at 89gr were still pretty tight. The 180 hybrid boat tail junction is about 30-40% up the neck in this throat configuration so it is essientially only for the 195s. Let me know if you have any other questions as I would be more than happy to help in any way I can. Thanks.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

Thanks Ryan, I am suspecting a powder change may be worth looking into for the 7-300 win with 195's. Not quite sure why because we get great velocity from the 215's in the same case in 30 cal. I doubt I could get enough RL33 in there to do the job on the 300 win cased 7's. 81 or a few grains more might be it.

For now I have a very accurate load, and looking at impact velocities out to 1200 yards I feel this load will work very well for hunting. Even at 625 yards they made a mess of a coyote, so I think the expansion characteristics is similar to the 180 Hybrid and 215 Hybrid. But for sure terminal performance is very limited so far.

I will continue to test and when time permits we may look at other powders like 570 or similar to get another 100 fps if we can.

Thanks
Jeff

Are you running these as single shot, box, or mags? I'm gathing parts to build one and have been curious if there will be length issue when using say AI mags.

Jeff: Im looking forward to hearing more about your terminal performance as Im not able to hunting anything around here with a rifle except coyotes. Also keep me updated on the other powders you experiment with.

Bigbuck: I am using a wyatts extended box with the stiller predators. They will not fit into a long action ai mag. c.o.a.l is 3.73 at the lands.

Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com

Jeff: Im looking forward to hearing more about your terminal performance as Im not able to hunting anything around here with a rifle except coyotes. Also keep me updated on the other powders you experiment with.

We took an elk last night with them. I have some data on another site.

Jeff

We took an elk last night with them. I have some data on another site.

Jeff

Congrats on the elk! I'm tagging in for the details as well.

Ryan thanks for posting about the 195 in the 28 Nosler. I was wondering about its performance in that cartridge. And it was good meeting you a while back up at CSR.

My problem with this data is that it's NOT production data... it's custom.

I don't know.... my 280 AI and 6.5x284 M48 BOTH have very healthy jumps to engagement, and I seat out accordingly.... however my 26 Nosler is TIGHT. I seat at 3.330, 3.350 is jam.
Does that mean every one of those is that bloody tight? Heck no... but my issue is RPierces rifles are DESIGNED a certain way-- and not a "standard" spec. Is that bad, hell no. Performance doesn't lie... My issue is some Gomer reading that data, and stuffing it into his production 28 Nosler, and damaging his rifle.

Has this data been pressure tested? Its a pressure engine... gotta give to get.
I'd bet money on it to get those velocities... the load is creeping on 75k psi...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.