28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

I just measured a loaded round at .312- .311 In theory a .318 neck on the factory brass that I have could be a no turn with .003 clearance. I am arguably turning to give too much clearance. Accuracy is great with where I am at but the added expansion does work the brass more than what is needed.

I just measured a loaded round at .312- .311 In theory a .318 neck on the factory brass that I have could be a no turn with .003 clearance. I am arguably turning to give too much clearance. Accuracy is great with where I am at but the added expansion does work the brass more than what is needed.
A friend of mine just cut a chamber with that reamer. Before we cut it, I measured the neck on the reamer at .316. That puts you closer to what you have them turned to. Only .004 clearance.

Well if you ever get tired of neck turning you can neck up 26 nosler brass. .312 was the loaded round on them.

*Kinda hijacking this thread since I used Retumbo, but this has kinda turned into just an info thread for 28 and reloading and wanted to share my findings. *

I just shot mine for the first time. Bighorn action, proof 26" sendaro. I gave my Smith some dummy rounds loaded to 3.710" and asked to be 0.020" off the lands at that length when he chambered. I only did did charge weight tests this trip, all loaded to 3.715". I started at 77.2gr of Retumbo, 3 shot groups, went up in 0.3 gr increments to 79.6gr. At 79.6 gr I showed no pressure signs, and that was my best group. 2950 fps, 5fps SD, 10fps ES. This barrel has 45 rounds through it, so I expect that speed to increase with some more rounds fired.

Next round I'm gonna do 5 shot groups of 79.4, 79.5, 79.6, 79.7, 79.8. Will settle on charge weight there then do a short seating depth test and be done.

Anyone know what the "book max load" is for the 28 using Retumbo? I put that in quotes since there isn't published load data for these long loaded 28's.

*Kinda hijacking this thread since I used Retumbo, but this has kinda turned into just an info thread for 28 and reloading and wanted to share my findings. *

I just shot mine for the first time. Bighorn action, proof 26" sendaro. I gave my Smith some dummy rounds loaded to 3.710" and asked to be 0.020" off the lands at that length when he chambered. I only did did charge weight tests this trip, all loaded to 3.715". I started at 77.2gr of Retumbo, 3 shot groups, went up in 0.3 gr increments to 79.6gr. At 79.6 gr I showed no pressure signs, and that was my best group. 2950 fps, 5fps SD, 10fps ES. This barrel has 45 rounds through it, so I expect that speed to increase with some more rounds fired.

Next round I'm gonna do 5 shot groups of 79.4, 79.5, 79.6, 79.7, 79.8. Will settle on charge weight there then do a short seating depth test and be done.

Anyone know what the "book max load" is for the 28 using Retumbo? I put that in quotes since there isn't published load data for these long loaded 28's.
Please contact us at 660-460-2802 from 8am to 4:30pm EASTERN time MON thru FRI and we will be glad to help you with this data.

80.5 gr of retumbo has shot lights out in some of the rifles Ive done. As a side note I just started offering all the build components for sale to whoever wants them. Kelbly actions, McMillan stocks, and all the bottom metal, barrels, triggers, and optics for them as well. Best pricing out there and no wait time. Dealer discounts available.

Thanks RPierce for the 80.5gr Retumbo Load- please verify 195EOL, 180ELDM with MAG Primer?
Cheers Moaflat

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.