28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

80.5 gr of retumbo has shot lights out in some of the rifles Ive done. As a side note I just started offering all the build components for sale to whoever wants them. Kelbly actions, McMillan stocks, and all the bottom metal, barrels, triggers, and optics for them as well. Best pricing out there and no wait time. Dealer discounts available.
What is your website to purchase from?

Hi Ryan,
Have you had any trouble with Berger 195's blowing up down range? I have a 26" 1 in 8 twist @3150 fps.

Thanks Marc
A couple of guys in my area had them blow up on them in 1 in 8 barrels on the third shot and after. Thats why I set the barrel I had for my 28 nosler build on the shelf and got a 1 in 8.5 to finish my build.

A couple of guys in my area had them blow up on them in 1 in 8 barrels on the third shot and after. Thats why I set the barrel I had for my 28 nosler build on the shelf and got a 1 in 8.5 to finish my build.

I noticed the same. Thinking of trying accubond 175 lr's , do you know what those guys tried?
Thanks
Marc

I run my 195s at 3150 with a 1:8 twist with no issues. Built by Ryan.

I'm running a 1:8 5r X-Caliber on my 28 Nosler with the 195's, I have about 500 of them down the barrel doing 3150fps and they shoot just fine. I even put some heavy strings down that barrel in 100+ degree weather. My other stock and action didn't make it in time so I through this 28 together on an old 700 action I had and the spare barrel I bought. I had a hunt coming in 2 weeks and needed the gun. I did load development starting 5 days before my hunt and then had to validate at longer ranges. The place I had to shoot was over 3 hours away so lets just say I had to get my shooting in while I was there. There were some pretty long strings, I was putting a wet bandana on my barrel at times, lol. Never lost a bullet and the thing can shoot. Load development was at about 500' above sea level also shot at 2500' validating drops and hunted up to 12,500'. took a nice 6x6bull 980yds, a cow at 760yds, and mule deer at 350yds. bullets performed great on all. RL-33 and CCI250's. PS i did get up a little above 3200fps during load development with no bullet issues but didn't want to push my brass.

I'm running a 1:8 5r X-Caliber on my 28 Nosler with the 195's, I have about 500 of them down the barrel doing 3150fps and they shoot just fine. I even put some heavy strings down that barrel in 100+ degree weather. My other stock and action didn't make it in time so I through this 28 together on an old 700 action I had and the spare barrel I bought. I had a hunt coming in 2 weeks and needed the gun. I did load development starting 5 days before my hunt and then had to validate at longer ranges. The place I had to shoot was over 3 hours away so lets just say I had to get my shooting in while I was there. There were some pretty long strings, I was putting a wet bandana on my barrel at times, lol. Never lost a bullet and the thing can shoot. Load development was at about 500' above sea level also shot at 2500' validating drops and hunted up to 12,500'. took a nice 6x6bull 980yds, a cow at 760yds, and mule deer at 350yds. bullets performed great on all. RL-33 and CCI250's. PS i did get up a little above 3200fps during load development with no bullet issues but didn't want to push my brass.

I have a brux 1:8 initially had zero problems out to 450yrds during load development, but was shooting 700yrds and had first round impact then nothing with other shots. Had a 20'x10' cut bank behind target for sighting missed shots, but nothing. Had my buddy shot into cut bank and could easily see impacts. I'm bummed because the setup is a hammer!

Morack, thats not fun for sure. Just out of curiosity what is the rifling configuration on that barrel? All of mine are 5r and have had no problems, I have shoot over 1000 195's Bergers between the 3 barrels and like I said I strait up abused the first barrel and its still shooting good. I do know that I a bunch of guys fooling with the long high B.C. 6.5 SMK 150gr bullets were having similar problems as you, and they were shooting 4 traditional groove rifling especially when trying to push them, but the guys shooting the 5R rifling were having no problems at all. What speed were you pushing them?

Morack, thats not fun for sure. Just out of curiosity what is the rifling configuration on that barrel? All of mine are 5r and have had no problems, I have shoot over 1000 195's Bergers between the 3 barrels and like I said I strait up abused the first barrel and its still shooting good. I do know that I a bunch of guys fooling with the long high B.C. 6.5 SMK 150gr bullets were having similar problems as you, and they were shooting 4 traditional groove rifling especially when trying to push them, but the guys shooting the 5R rifling were having no problems at all. What speed were you pushing them?

Not sure on rifling but suspect traditional, it's a Brux barrel. I'm running them at 3150

I know Ryan Pierce runs brux barrels all 1:8 for his 28 nosler builds, I've heard nothing but the best about em. I believe they're 5 land.

I heard the same so I built it on that data. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what is happening. This rifle has been a treat to develop loads for and for the ease of doing so. Maybe I should try backing down to 3000 or so.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.