28 nosler 195 berger RE33 testing

I have tested N570 from 85 to 39 degrees and had no velocity change. I didn't test RL33 personally, but friends did and ended up around 1 fps per degree. Ryan Pierce mentioned to me that RL33 is really dirty and needs to be cleaned every 30 rounds. He would get false pressure signs from a overly dirty barrel. RL33 is about half the cost of N70 and easier to find.
That's good info - thanks.

Ive used Bartlein, Brux, Muller with great results in the 28 nosler. Last year I got some proofs in and they were sent back. However Ive been assured by Proof that the ones I got in last week are way better than the ones they were making a year ago. I will find out in a couple months when the guns they are for get started on.
How are those proof barrels shooting?

I would also like to know how the proof barrels are working for you, carbon and there steel. Also I have been hearing more and more from people I trust that the 195's are splashing on elk.

Also I have been hearing more and more from people I trust that the 195's are splashing on elk.
These elk were recovered for up close inspection, I presume? And the 195 bullet failing to reach the vitals due to large shallow wounds?

Yes the elk were recovered not impressed at all how the 195 preformed compared to the 180. These guys I here from are all good hunters and I respect there opinions. I think Alex Wheeler may have even commented he has heard some opinions on this and I know he's built alot of 28 Nosler using the 195. I don't know if it's a lot# problem. Maybe Alex will chim in. I'm not knocking berger at all I shoot there 140 hunter VLD in my 6.5x300wsm and all have preformed flawless from 250 yds to along way out there on both deer and elk.

I killed a big bull (354") in his bed this year with the 195 gr at 3050 fps, 624 yards, He stood up and fell over dead. Bullet was against the opposite side buried in the hide no exit but made jello of everything inside. Then a 3x4 muley at 604 yards 1 shot and done never moved. So I'm happy so far.

I killed 2 big bulls this year with my 28N/195EOL, Retumbo at 3070fps. One shot at 312, other at 725, both bulls walked a couple steps and fell over, bullet fragments were on the opposite shoulder with major damage in the vitals. So far am happy with the bullet performance.

I used my 28nosler 195 Bergers to kill 4x4 Muley at 300yds,dropped in his tracks. Same hunt killed a 6x6 bull 986 yards just behind the shoulder, turned 180 degrees and I put a second followup shot on him with out even thinking, due to it being last half hour before dark, thick oak brush and last day of season. I wanted to anchor him. He folded, massive damage to vitals and bullet exited the opposite side,the other bullet I found just under the skin on the opposite shoulder. Shot a Cow same hunt 748yds just behind the shoulder, legs buckled and dropped strait to the ground, massive vital damage and exited the opposite side. My buddy used my gun to kill his cow at 350yds same DRT with a exit hole I could put my fist in. In all animals I could not believe the internal damage and found bullet fragments radiating out from the entrance hole some as far as 20". One thing I would recommend if you are shooting closer ranges make sure to shoot behind the shoulder not center of the shoulder.

I used my 28nosler 195 Bergers to kill 4x4 Muley at 300yds,dropped in his tracks. Same hunt killed a 6x6 bull 986 yards just behind the shoulder, turned 180 degrees and I put a second followup shot on him with out even thinking, due to it being last half hour before dark, thick oak brush and last day of season. I wanted to anchor him. He folded, massive damage to vitals and bullet exited the opposite side,the other bullet I found just under the skin on the opposite shoulder. Shot a Cow same hunt 748yds just behind the shoulder, legs buckled and dropped strait to the ground, massive vital damage and exited the opposite side. My buddy used my gun to kill his cow at 350yds same DRT with a exit hole I could put my fist in. In all animals I could not believe the internal damage and found bullet fragments radiating out from the entrance hole some as far as 20". One thing I would recommend if you are shooting closer ranges make sure to shoot behind the shoulder not center of the shoulder.

Close is relative. What do you define as close? Also could you share the results of the shoulder impact. Not necessarily pictures.

Wish someone would post this info too!
Call JGS they have the reamers in stock, I bought there SAMMI reamer and my smith throated for the 195's, that way you can use the reamer if anyone wants a SAMMI speck made. They can also make you a reamer for the 195's, call them and they will give you all the specks, very good to deal with they will email you a print within a day or two.

Close is relative. What do you define as close? Also could you share the results of the shoulder impact. Not necessarily pictures.
I have never had a problem with them on a close shoulder shot, I'm just making a suggestion with these high velocities and the way these Bergers are designed to perform it makes sense not to aim fore heavy bone inside of say 400yds if you don't have to. I remember people saying they had issue at close ranges with one of the other Bergers causing massive external damage at close ranges. I m just suggesting hitting the shoulder bone at closer ranges is just going to cause the bullet to expand even more violently at those speeds. Everyone I know that uses them shoots behind the shoulder 400 yards and closer, and as you get out further in yardage you can shoot for the shoulder if you want. With some of the slower cartridges guys will shoot for the shoulder to help the bullet expand at farther ranges. but with the velocity the 28 Nos is shooting at 1000yds you don't have too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts