277 fury

I am not going to get too excited. I have been burnt by Sig. I still have a 556 XI in the safe that has never been shot. I am waiting for the promised 300 BLK barrel. As far as I can tell it will never happen and I think the model has been discontinued.

Sorry doesn't seem like much to get excited about there are other rounds that do the same

This cartridge is more exciting that you even know! I remember when I was a kid seeing a cartridge design similar to this that Dick Casull made. It used the steel base on the case along with a stronger action design to run up pressure safely so you can get more velocity with less powder, meaning less erosion, more velocity with a short barrel etc..

He was getting 3300 FPS with a 240 grain 30 cal bullet and 60 grains of powder. From what I hear the 277 Furry will push 140 grain bullets at over 2900 FPS out of a 16 inch barrel with a lot less powder than you would expect.
I remember it, had one on order, of course that never came to pass, sadly! Having said that the 270 wnm will do that, but a 7mm 08 in a short barrel works as we, more efficiently than the wsm. Benchmark did a bunch of reseaech on short barrels 16 to 29 inches and 7mm 08 was what the believex the best cartridge in this instance. Guess that why i have one. Dont remember the ballistic data we enough to put it out there bit i belief it is not far off your mark. Merry xmas!

2900 fps with 140s from a creedmoor in a 16" bbl would be nothing short of a blown primer. 24" bbl would be borderline. Can be done in a 26"
I agree that out of a 16" barrel it would be unlikely, you lose about 200fps going down from a 22-24" barrel in the Creedmoor so that would be 3000-3100fps.

You are off base on your other comment though; I was getting 2800fps+ running 143gr bullets with a relatively mild load of Reloder 16 in a 22" barrel running small rifle primer brass (CCI SR Mag primers have a harder cup). I haven't tried it personally but RE26 is supposed to be a noticeable step up from that. A friend running the same powder/bullet combo as me in 1x fired Hornady factory brass got over 2900fps in his 24" Criterion barreled savage before he got ejector marks.

It's completely doable, safely, in standard length barrels with current powders.

To keep this on topic, this new cartridge seems like an answer to a question nobody asked. I didnt read how expensive the proprietary bimetal case stuff is going to be, but if you do what the vast majority of people will and run the all brass version you have a slower/lower BC/less efficient 6.5 Creedmoor. Based on the picture someone else posted the case is actually longer than a Creedmoor with a shorter neck so if you try and run this out of SR25 type mags you are going to be limited to shorter/lighter /less efficient bullets or you eat up case capacity seating them deeper in the case. If you run the bimetal stuff, its a cool niche round, but just dont be surprised when you also get 270WSM barrel life, muzzle blast, and recoil.

Last edited:
I remember it, had one on order, of course that never came to pass, sadly! Having said that the 270 wnm will do that, but a 7mm 08 in a short barrel works as we, more efficiently than the wsm. Benchmark did a bunch of reseaech on short barrels 16 to 29 inches and 7mm 08 was what the believex the best cartridge in this instance. Guess that why i have one. Dont remember the ballistic data we enough to put it out there bit i belief it is not far off your mark. Merry xmas!
20 inches not 29, cant type or proofread it appears!

This is cool, nice to see something actually different/new.

I'd rather it be called 6.8x51 lol

I am so stoked up I won't be able to sleep at night. They finally invented a 270x308. The bimetal case might be cool if it isn't cost prohibitive. When has cost been a factor with our government spending our money. Looking at the 277 next to the Creed makes me wonder why they just didn't neck the Creed up to the 277 . The fury case looks like you are going to be seating below the neck shoulder to fit short action.
Shep

I am so stoked up I won't be able to sleep at night. They finally invented a 270x308. The bimetal case might be cool if it isn't cost prohibitive. When has cost been a factor with our government spending our money. Looking at the 277 next to the Creed makes me wonder why they just didn't neck the Creed up to the 277 . The fury case looks like you are going to be seating below the neck shoulder to fit short action.
Shep
Because case capacity is needed.

Guys are hitting 2900 with 140s and rl26. Out of the little creed and 260rem.
Going to be an interesting shot show with sig releasing this and nosler maybe releasing some high bc .277 bullets and a 27 bowler

I'm forever reading people going on and on about 6.5PRC, 6.5/300SAUM, 6.5-285, 264 mags. They are all chasing 2900-3000 fps. And I just giggle.

I'm running 43 grains H4350 behind a 140 Berger Match Hybrid @ 2952fps. 7fps spread out of 29-1/2" Bartlein 5r Heavy Palm in a Panda. (Lab Radar) Zero pressure. Absolutely 100% certain I could get 3000 but gun regularly shoots 1"@600 now. I shoot same load in RPR with same barrel at 28" @ 2924 fps with similar accuracy.
I am simply at a loss to understand the big mystery bout fps and 6.5mms

I'd like to remind everyone that having an efficient case is good, and being able to handle pressure is good. Believing that using a little less powder but at the same time, running pressures over 70,000, however: will not increase barrel life just because less powder is used. Look at the charge as the gas in a cutting torch that creates the heat and the blast of oxygen as the pressure that makes the metal flow.Thats how throats are torched! So, decreasing one, while increasing the other may not accomplish much when it comes to the throat erosion.
100% correct. Pressure creates concentrated heat and concentrated heat = erosion. Has bout nothing to do with the amount of powder being burned.

This is cool, nice to see something actually different/new.

I'd rather it be called 6.8x51 lol

The idea is not new. There have been numerous experiments with and available steel head cases, rifle and pistol, thru the decades. I played with a couple back in the 80's. The only thing that might be "new" is the way the head/case joint is assembled/produced. "All things old a new again."

100% correct. Pressure creates concentrated heat and concentrated heat = erosion. Has bout nothing to do with the amount of powder being burned.

This is why many years ago there were varied attempts to use ceramic coatings on throats, TiN coated throats, nickle plating and other ways to reduce throat wear on high pressure experimental rounds.

Last edited:
So has the new round been created to work in a semi auto platform as well? I guess the whole gas system would have to be adapted to that higher pressure ? In that bolt action, I wonder what the accuracy would be like? They have a shorter (=stiffer) barrel but much higher pressure cartridge, how easy would it be to get on the next nod? The suppressor at the muzzle might help. But it going to get hot very quick for sure.