277 SIG Fury

I'm planning to build a rifle chambered in this at some point as well. From the couple companies making actions I've talked to nothing at all needs to be done there. These have less bolt thrust at 80psi than a 270wsm does(or any other magnum bolt fact cartridge) and the couple barrel companies that have reamers already seem to not be concerned with chamber pressure.

The real big one, and I'm hoping you can answer this. Who is making the dies and how do you intend to full length size them? From talking to a few people you can get away with neck sizing for a few rounds, but the case head of steel doesn't spring back and after 3-4 shots it needs a full lentgh sizing. If you could shed some light on those issues that'd be great.

You are right about handling pressure. On die set, I plan on getting a set made by Whidden.

I plan to have the bolt bushed, hole to 0.062, firing pin turned down to 0.060. With huge clearance firing hole on stock bolts, primers will certainly flow, and will most likely pierce.

On the 277 caliber the 150gr SST holds up great. It'll give you a large energy dump turning vitals to jello, and still hold together to give you a nice exit wound. It causes severe trauma vs. a bonded bullet.

They have worked great well for us on the 270 Win from 50 yds and on.

On the 277 caliber the 150gr SST holds up great. It'll give you a large energy dump turning vitals to jello, and still hold together to give you a nice exit wound. It causes severe trauma vs. a bonded bullet.

They have worked great well for us on the 270 Win from 50 yds and on.
What twist are you running on those 150 SSTs?

Are they for the all brass case version of the 277 fury, or the high pressure 2 piece hybrid brass?
I asked them that.

Thanks for contacting us about this, the die should be able to be used on the hybrid cases to bring things into form. I would simply be sure the modified cases is considered reloadable, this is not something we at Forster have confirmation on.

I think the concern is 2 fold---- not only the steel case head/base-- if ot expands can it safely be reformed and how many times -- but also the "connecting ring" they are using---- I'm not sure there has been much "longevity" testing done yet---- at what point is the connecting ring deformed enough that it's no longer useable?? I'm not sure anyone wants to take on that liability yet until SIG comes out with their recommendations

I think the concern is 2 fold---- not only the steel case head/base-- if ot expands can it safely be reformed and how many times -- but also the "connecting ring" they are using---- I'm not sure there has been much "longevity" testing done yet---- at what point is the connecting ring deformed enough that it's no longer useable?? I'm not sure anyone wants to take on that liability yet until SIG comes out with their recommendations
From what I understand, each firing would make the bond stronger, not weaken the connection.

Recent Posts