277 sig fury

If the 277 fury does what is advertised, there would no need to double tap. So, there's a chance it will do the same or more with somewhere over half as many rounds needed...making the round count needed less and somewhat less weight to pack. Or, pack as many rounds as before, 200?, and have more capability to destroy the target.

If the 277 fury does what is advertised, there would no need to double tap. So, there's a chance it will do the same or more with somewhere over half as many rounds needed...making the round count needed less and somewhat less weight to pack. Or, pack as many rounds as before, 200?, and have more capability to destroy the target.

There will be no reduction in rounds down range for suppressive fire when your maneuver element is assaulting the objective up to its LOA. It's not precision shooting out there.

There will be no reduction in rounds down range for suppressive fire when your maneuver element is assaulting the objective up to its LOA. It's not precision shooting out there.
And this is why I expect it to end up in a DMR role and 5.56 to still remain a large part of the rounds sent. I'd guess 99%+ of rounds shot are for suppressive fire and not really aimed AT an individual. In that role, 5.56 still makes more sense to me out to 500 yards or so. The vast majority of lead airmail in war is to keep an enemies head down, not kill them directly.

So I'm one of those guys loading 277 bimetal cases necked up then down to 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. The Creedmoor got over 3124 fps average with 140 gr bullets, and over 3000 fps with 150 gr SMK in a 24" barrel. The 308 has some improvements also, but it's a 30" 8 twist Bartlein barrel so I used another 9 twist 22" Bartlein. The 6.5 Creedmoor is a factory rifle and I ordered a 26" 7.5 Twist Bartlein for it ...
I could order a 277 reamer ...but this is an expensive experiment already. Ran through a hundred rounds, check throat erosion and lug set back...it's okay so far. Even pulled bullets on some loads. This bimetal case has promise for a bunch of cartridges. Useful powders seem limited, as is my willy-nilly testing, and it seems logical that barrels will erode faster, so I fired some in fast secession, and check, as this barrel will be replaced, on this sacrificial rifle. I do not recommend doing this...and no manufacturer will stand behind this kind of abuse of their products, as expected. Sig does not recommend reloading these cases or stand behind their 277 rifles with reloads. If you could even find one in 277....I have reloaded some 3 times, in testing so far.
Not recommended by anyone, play here at your own risk. Pressures and its signs are different as are powder reactions to the SS case head as less thermal energy is transfered to the SS case head and more to the powder charge.. I do not believe you can blow a primer out of this SS case head, without destroying the rifle, so don't go there... For most I'd recommend them to buy the brass Lapua cases in these calibers, they work well at slightly elevated pressures.

And this is why I expect it to end up in a DMR role and 5.56 to still remain a large part of the rounds sent. I'd guess 99%+ of rounds shot are for suppressive fire and not really aimed AT an individual. In that role, 5.56 still makes more sense to me out to 500 yards or so. The vast majority of lead airmail in war is to keep an enemies head down, not kill them directly.
Can you describe DMR role? Please.

Can you describe DMR role? Please.
A squad designated marksman, they usually carry weapons more suitable for slightly longer range engagements, and would be the guys most likely to be shooting to kill, not mainly to suppress. In the past they've generally used "accurized" versions of the m16, and possibly sr25 .308 and some other semi autos.

Someone who has actually been there and done that would be more likely to be able to fill in what they do in practice, but that's the gist of a DMR to the best of my knowledge.