277 SIG Fury

bamban

This will be the project after the 20 inch suppressed 300WM is completed. I have the brass, and the reamer came in Saturday. I have the scoop on what needs to be done on a 700 action in order for it to survive the 80K chamber pressure.

Question for y'all 270 cal users, any suggestion on what weight range bullets to use based on your ACTUAL personal experience on game at short, and mid range. Short for me is up to 300 yards, mid up to 600. Even at SIG claim of 3K with 135s out of their 16 inch test barrels, I plan to run a 18, or maybe 20 incher suppressed with a 338 LM rated Ti can.

Once I decided on the bullet weight class range, I will spec the CWF barrel for optimum twist. Assuming barrel, bullets, and good set of reloading set availability, it should be ready to play by early spring

20220824_220403.jpg
20220505_202618.jpg
20220505_202725.jpg
20220505_201840.jpg

That's cool. How'd you mange to find the brass, and what are you going to do to the rem 700 to get it to handle the 80ksi?(I'd assume the bolt thrust from an 80ksi .473 bolt is not that far off from a .532 magnum bolt face at 65ksi.)

As far as 270 bullets, 90% are designed for a 1-10 twist for all the factory 270 win rifles. these are going to be 130-150gr generally. I use the badlands 128gr BD2s (.273 g7) in my 270wsm. They're a good compromise between speed and BC. The other 10% are made for the 1-8 twist from the new 6.8 western. These are like 150 to 180gr, unless they are monos.

I'm sure others will have greater experience to share with specific bullets.

Thank you for the suggestions, how did the 270 bullets perform on game for you and distances? What weight class bullets did you use?

A good friend gifted the brass to me. He made a few wildcats based on the Fury cartridge; 25, 6, 6.5, 7, and 30, all were ran on 700. His 6.5 at the pressure runs right up nipping at the 6.5x284 velocity from the same bullet.

Nez

Last edited:
Been running 140ABs in both WSM and 270Win w/ no problem. You might consider a 8-8.5 twist to play w/ heavies on a rare cold Texas deer season though.

How do you resize the brass?

I'd check with the 270wsm and 6.8 western guys for bullets. If you can find them, the 130gr fusion bullets ( a bonded bullet) are a very good all around hunting bullet-- if you are looking for high bc then it's probably going to be a berger

Have a shorter 270 wsm I use for similar ranges. Have used bullets 110-140 in accubond and partition flavors, all did just fine. Truth be told I had a bad batch or hornady dgx bullets around 2010.... that's probably the last time a controlled expansion modern bullet let me down. I'd say pick your poison see if it shoots and your probably safe.

Thank you for the suggestions, how did the 270 bullets perform on game for you and distances? What weight class bullets did you use?

A good friend gifted the brass to me. He made a few wildcats based on the Fury cartridge; 25, 6, 6.5, 7, and 30, all were ran on 700. His 6.5 at the pressure runs right up nipping at the 6.5x284 velocity from the same bullet.

Nez
I've only used hornady GMX bullets on game, Haven't had a chance to put the 128 BD2s on target yet. The GMX was...ok. It expanded, it killed, nothing wrong but maybe not the best expansion (basically what those are known for anyways). There's a recent post in the badlands thread of some .270 140grain bullets being used with great success. link.

If I was building a rifle I would go 1-8 or even faster. Doesn't stop you from shooting most of the lighter bullets, but lets you use the heavier stuff.

It will be interesting to see how this cartridge reloads I'd love to dupe 270 wsm velocity in a compact high pressure cartridge and rifle configuration.

Richard Franklin about 15 years ago built what were essentially high pressure 300 wsm rifles. He used gain twist barrels on bat actions with 125 grain ballistic tips loaded around the 80k node. The bat action could take the pressure and the noslers could survive the launch speeds.

I'd think even at the pressure the fury Rolls at, 130 and up pills are going to start taking up some boiler room. Even on my 270 wsm over 140 I'm crunching kernels unless the final seat is on my inverted press.

I may have to run a throater so I can run longer projectiles. I like to set them with the boat tail junction to be above the shoulder neck junction. I have to problem running single loading on a hunting rifle.

I have used all kinds of 270 bullets, but my farthest shots have been just over 400. Inside that range they all have worked very well. Hornady 140 btsp is a long time favorite as are 140 accubond and 150 partition. The 130 berger vld works well, at least on deer and antelope. Plain old 130 speer hotcores work great too but those are not fancy enough for people these days. The saami twist on 277 fury is 1-7 so if you go with that you have the option of the heavies. I have taken some deer / pigs with 170 berger and similar 165 matrix out to only 200 some yards in 1-8 270 wsm but they both hammered game. I am anxious to try the 170 nosler ballistic tip, but not tried it yet.

Lou

This will be the project after the 20 inch suppressed 300WM is completed. I have the brass, and the reamer came in Saturday. I have the scoop on what needs to be done on a 700 action in order for it to survive the 80K chamber pressure.

Question for y'all 270 cal users, any suggestion on what weight range bullets to use based on your ACTUAL personal experience on game at short, and mid range. Short for me is up to 300 yards, mid up to 600. Even at SIG claim of 3K with 135s out of their 16 inch test barrels, I plan to run a 18, or maybe 20 incher suppressed with a 338 LM rated Ti can.

Once I decided on the bullet weight class range, I will spec the CWF barrel for optimum twist. Assuming barrel, bullets, and good set of reloading set availability, it should be ready to play by early spring

View attachment 389790View attachment 389791View attachment 389792View attachment 389793
I'm planning to build a rifle chambered in this at some point as well. From the couple companies making actions I've talked to nothing at all needs to be done there. These have less bolt thrust at 80psi than a 270wsm does(or any other magnum bolt fact cartridge) and the couple barrel companies that have reamers already seem to not be concerned with chamber pressure.

The real big one, and I'm hoping you can answer this. Who is making the dies and how do you intend to full length size them? From talking to a few people you can get away with neck sizing for a few rounds, but the case head of steel doesn't spring back and after 3-4 shots it needs a full lentgh sizing. If you could shed some light on those issues that'd be great.