277 sig fury

rosseickhoff

Does anybody have any experience with this cartridge? I've seen ammo for sale, brass without the two piece design. Would try an sig cross but haven't seen any available. Could a custom action handle the 80,000 case pressure? Ptg has reamers. Is it worth the effort? Only real advantage I can see over the 6.8 western or a 270 wsm would be mag capacity.

My guess is, the 277 fury is best left to the military weapon it is designed for.
I think the commercial 277 fury will be brass case only and operate at lower chamber pressures.
So, a .277 bullet in a 308 case.
It might catch on.?
I am glad the military is going to a bigger, heavier round.

Sig is already selling the hybrid / high pressure factory ammo. A 150 accubond at 3120 in 24" barrel or 2840 in 16". Pretty impressive. The only rifle I have seen is the Spear. Think the cross would do well if they would ever release it in 277 fury

Lou

I really don't get why people still think this thing is a mystery. You can buy the hybrid brass, the dies, a chambered pre-fit barrel from just about anyone or the reamer from the usual suspects. You can buy the loaded ammo from sig in hybrid or all brass. And this has all been true for a year or better now. You can go on youtube and see people shoot it through custom bolt guns and the spear. Through cronos. Out to 1k or more. FMJs through armor.
Just as a fyi to anyone following/reading this thread.

I've told the guys in the office here....that we will not chamber/install any barrel for a customer in this caliber.

I will not warranty any barrel from copper fouling, accuracy, safety etc....

Anyone installing one of our .270cal barrels and having they're gunsmith and or themselves chambering one of our blanks up in this caliber.... again at this time No warranties will be covered etc...

Could my feelings change on the above? Possibly but at this time no guarantees.

Last I heard was the 80k psi ammo will not be available to the general public. Doesn't mean some will not get out there.

Also I totally see someone tinkering and playing with this round and go... "I'll just load it up until I get to 3000+ fps with a 140gr bullet!" but they don't and won't have a clue as to the pressures they are dealing with and the safety margins in components can be compromised.

We've made a lot of ammunition test barrels in both accuracy and pressure and the data I've seen so far has me to be on the cautious side of things.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I've told the guys in the office here....that we will not chamber/install any barrel for a customer in this caliber.

Anyone installing one of our .270cal barrels and having they're gunsmith and or themselves chambering one of our blanks up in this caliber.... again at this time No warranties will be covered etc...

Last I heard was the 80k psi ammo will not be available to the general public. Doesn't mean some will not get out there.

Also I totally see someone tinkering and playing with this round and go... "I'll just load it up until I get to 3000+ fps with a 140gr bullet!" but they don't and won't have a clue as to the pressures they are dealing with and the safety margins in components can be compromised.

We've made a lot of ammunition test barrels in both accuracy and pressure and the data I've seen so far has me to be on the cautious side of things.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Here I thought the steel case portion was installed to contain this higher pressure. I guess it ain't enough?

I've known Frank for a long time and he can explain things better for most folks to understand. If you would like a detailed explanation, I would give him a call or email to get a proper time to call him.

:)

I've known Frank for a long time and he can explain things better for most folks to understand. If you would like a detailed explanation, I would give him a call or email to get a proper time to call him.

:)
I was hoping for a filtered, to-the-point response posted here on the forum for the community benefit.

Saami has warnings about the pressures of the cartridge. Will surely take some time for the industry to work it out. However, there is money to be made here and somebody will make it

Lou

There is BRASS only cases snd not the hybrid kind for sale. It's just a 308win case necked down similar to 7-08. Not sure what max pressure would be, but somewhere between 7-08 and 308win pressures. I would use 7-08 data. I thought it might be something cool, but decided if you have a 7-08, 260rem ir any other 26cal that's a short action why bother. You just have better bullets and choices with 26cals. In BA's it might be OK as I'm an AR person kind of guy.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels
Sig has sold the hybrid case loaded ammo to the public already. It's not always in stock, but it has been. I've not seen it on the shelf anywhere, just their website.

From your perspective, that makes complete sense to not warranty something like this.

Lots of the sig hybrid ammo for sale on gunbroker. Definitely out there…. They also have a brass cased ball and softpoint load at normal pressures.

Lou

There is BRASS only cases snd not the hybrid kind for sale. It's just a 308win case necked down similar to 7-08. Not sure what max pressure would be, but somewhere between 7-08 and 308win pressures. I would use 7-08 data. I thought it might be something cool, but decided if you have a 7-08, 260rem ir any other 26cal that's a short action why bother. You just have better bullets and choices with 26cals. In BA's it might be OK as I'm an AR person kind of guy.
No, you can get hybrid cases to. Non-loaded ammo.

No, you can get hybrid cases to. Non-loaded ammo.
I didn't say you couldn't get it loaded or not. Just you can get either case (brass or ly and steel/brass cases). I've seembothfor sale as cases only and have seen both loaded for sale, but haven't checked the last 2 years on loaded ammo.

My guess is, the 277 fury is best left to the military weapon it is designed for.
I think the commercial 277 fury will be brass case only and operate at lower chamber pressures.
So, a .277 bullet in a 308 case.
It might catch on.?
I am glad the military is going to a bigger, heavier round.
I for am glad I'm too old to carry it. 6 Mags of 5.56 was plenty heavy.