270Wsm vs 7mmRemMag...

How has the performance of the 170's been? Whats your COAL on those baby's? I have a m70 325 wsm I am thinking about rebarreling to a 270 wsm to push those 170's. I think the winchester actions are considered a medium action.

Figjam, I hope you enjoy your rebuild but I got a stainless M70 325WSM with the camo stock, built in Portugal by a Browning division, and I love it. Shoots so smooth and an oddball with good ballistics.

Figjam, I hope you enjoy your rebuild but I got a stainless M70 325WSM with the camo stock, built in Portugal by a Browning division, and I love it. Shoots so smooth and an oddball with good ballistics.

I have heard the people that hunt with them love it. Mine is a M70 Coyote Lite - I never wanted it or needed it in the first place - a really close friend was laid off of work right before christmas several years ago, I paid him $1500 for just the bare gun to help him out. I put a vortex hslr scope on it and it has honestly sat in my gun cabinet for years doing nothing. I have other rifles that fill that same void, so it hasn't been used. It has been taken on some hunting trips as a backup, but never left the truck...so, idk what to do with it - a rebarrel was just something I was tossing around.

$1500? You sir, are a good soul.

I like Hornady's reloading comment about the 325WSM being a very efficient and "in fact, it is the ballistic equal to the 8mm RM."

If you handload and the 7 mag has a 1:8 twist I would take that hands down. Hornadys 7mm 180 eldm has a killer BC and has many good reports of use on game. In a standard chamber you should be able to push that bullet to 2900 with the right powder. At a 800 yards that combo would put you with 1600 ftlbs and 2000 fps at sea level. If you are serious about killing elk at 800 yards that would get it done.

I have heard the people that hunt with them love it. Mine is a M70 Coyote Lite - I never wanted it or needed it in the first place - a really close friend was laid off of work right before christmas several years ago, I paid him $1500 for just the bare gun to help him out. I put a vortex hslr scope on it and it has honestly sat in my gun cabinet for years doing nothing. I have other rifles that fill that same void, so it hasn't been used. It has been taken on some hunting trips as a backup, but never left the truck...so, idk what to do with it - a rebarrel was just something I was tossing around.
I had to do the same thing about 4-5 years back with a buddy of mine. He had a rifle built by my gunsmith, and then fell on hard times, needed the cash, and offered to sell me the brand new rifle for what he had in it. I knew who built it, and I knew he had never shot it, so I couldn't turn the deal down. It's still sitting in the safe unfired to this day with a brand new Vortex Viper HS that I put on it. That's the 7mm STW rifle I'm considering stripping down to build a .28 Nosler, because it was built on a RUM action,, and also because he wants to buy the barrel and stock back from me to put on his 700 .300WM when he rebuilds it.

I have personal experience having taken many animals with the 270 WSM. I no longer run it. The advent of high BC bullets may allow this caliber to continue as a true long range caliber and if you are dead set on this particular gun, which has fallen out of mainstream favor over the past couple of years, my question is similar to others on this thread, why?

You have plenty of powder to run >150 grain bullets for hunting and even with the higher BC of those bullets, you are still not seeing a ton of advantage ballistically over the 7MM you are running.

If you are looking to move up in velocity, bullet size, BC and overall performance...I would recommend one of the newer 7MM's or 30's over moving down to a 270. If you are seeking a lighter and more manageable deer rifle in a smaller caliber, I recommend one of the 6.5's rather than then 6.8.

Update...
After looking high and low for one of those Browning Hell's Canyon Speed rifles and finding they were out of stock in either caliber I was looking at, in the entire state of Colorado (Lol), I bought a used Tikka T3 lite in 7mag. Seems like a great lil rifle, super smooth action. Can't wait to see how it shoots. This way, I can stick with my 162 eldx that I have been shooting.

Update...
After looking high and low for one of those Browning Hell's Canyon Speed rifles and finding they were out of stock in either caliber I was looking at, in the entire state of Colorado (Lol), I bought a used Tikka T3 lite in 7mag. Seems like a great lil rifle, super smooth action. Can't wait to see how it shoots. This way, I can stick with my 162 eldx that I have been shooting.
Nothing wrong with a Tikka, I don't personally own one, but know several people that do and they all love them. Let us know how it goes!

Update...
Good Choice in Rifle ( Tikka, love my TWO ! ) and Cartridge ! The 7mm Rem Mag. will kill Elk at, any REASONABLE "Hunting",.. range with, the 160 AccuBond or, 162 ELD-X and they WON'T beat you to death, so you can,.. PRACTICE, a LOT ! There is very little difference between, the .270 WSM and 7mm RM ( I've owned, BOTH and the Elk I shot with them, never complained ). Be sure to put, a Limb Saver Pad on it, Steel Recoil Lug, check for "Free Float" bbl. clearance, adjust Trigger to suit ( Tikka Triggers are, AWESOME !) tighten action back to "spec" in stock and install a good Cheek riser Pad like a Voodoo tactical or, make a Kydex "riser", to align scope (instruction's on YouTube) Good Luck and have,.. FUN !

Last edited:
The Tikka is an awesome platform, I had a pretty nice pile of 7 mag barrels from building them into WSMs. Made most of them I to 270 WSMs.
I figured I already had everything for the 7mag, as opposed to having to start from scratch. Plus I can go up to the 168 Berger, or more weight if I choose.

Good Choice in Rifle ( Tikka, love my TWO ! ) and Cartridge ! The 7mm Rem Mag. will kill Elk at, any REASONABLE "Hunting",.. range with, the 160 AccuBond or, 162 ELD-X and they WON'T beat you to death, so you can,.. PRACTICE, a LOT ! There is very little difference between, the .270 WSM and 7mm RM ( I've owned, BOTH and the Elk I shot with them, never complained ). Be sure to put, a Limb Saver Pad on it, Steel Recoil Lug, check for "Free Float" bbl. clearance, adjust Trigger to suit ( Tikka Triggers are, AWESOME !) tighten action back to "spec" in stock and install a good Cheek riser Pad like a Voodoo tactical or, make a Kydex "riser", to align scope (instruction's on YouTube) Good Luck and have,.. FUN !
I do practice quite a bit, I think this last year I shot around 800 rounds out of my other 7mag I just sold. Can't wait to set this one up and see how far I can shoot it.

The Steel Tikka, recoil lug, is on sale at Midway for $15.00
You will enjoy, "Hunting" with,.. your 7.5 Pound Tikka if, you don't chose, a "Monster" Scope ! After finding good Loads and "validating" our Scope Turrets, my son and I practice "Field" positions, from, 300 yards sitting, to 650-700 yd's Prone, in rolling Hill Country, on our 11" dia Steel Plate, up hill and down. After all that practice,.. he shot his Bull, sitting position, over "sticks" at 250 yards and mine was shot at, about 60-70 yards, again it was, sitting, over "sticks",.. LOL ! Son uses a 7mm-08 with 150 ELD-X
People tend to forget that, MOST of the Elk shot, are shot at, 400 Yards or,.. LESS by, guys/ gals "Hunting",.. NOT,.. "shooting", at Extreme Long range ! Check out what, a 15 MPH WIND does to, a Bullet at,.. 800+ yards !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.