270Wsm vs 7mmRemMag...

I've hit elk at 800 yards with three different 7mms and 270 WSMs I'm going back to the 270 and 165 matrix or 270 Berger because of bullets and recoil. The 270 WSM is just mild enough recoil with the right bullets I don't have to brake them, any 7mm mag or larger I brake. Personally I think it's an elk hunting sweet spot!!

I limit myself, to 650-700 yards on Elk with, the 140 AccuBond's, starting at 3,150 FPS, in my .270 WSM. BUT, I can shoot it, ALL Day, in Practice. The .270 WSM/ AccuBond combo, is still going OVER 2,000 FPS at 750 Yards and Nosler says, the Bullet will EXPAND down to, 1,800 FPS ! My .338 Win Mag., FLINCH, is almost, gone,.. YIPPEE ! NO Brake necessary, with the .270 WSM, like Bigngreen says! Personally, I have NO use for, Brakes and, RECOIL on light weight, "Hunting Rifles" !
YUP, the 170 Berger's would be sweet, IF you need more,.. "range" , tho !

Last edited:
Why would you handicap yourself by going down in both cartridge power and caliber?

There are no pros to the .270 WSM over the 7mm RemMag, especially when shooting elk at 800 yards.

I would go with a X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range in 7mm RemMag with the 1:8 twist, and shoot the 180-195 grain Bergers.

To save a little bit of weight and recoil would be the only reason to do it. Those benefits would come at the cost of a little bit of performance down range.

I've hit elk at 800 yards with three different 7mms and 270 WSMs I'm going back to the 270 and 165 matrix or 270 Berger because of bullets and recoil. The 270 WSM is just mild enough recoil with the right bullets I don't have to brake them, any 7mm mag or larger I brake. Personally I think it's an elk hunting sweet spot!!

100% agree!

I run a 270wsm. On a long action though.
I am pushing the 170 Berger's at 3200 hard, 3150 easy. (Not standard load data, nor throat for the round)
It is an elk hammer. I have several under its belt out at 500-800 yards.
It is breaked. It is fun to shoot, muzzle blast is significant, recoil is not. Unlike some of my bigger guns.
I have lots of guns and killed lots of critters with them all, a 270Wsm set up correctly to get all it can is potent medicine.

I run a 270wsm. On a long action though.
I am pushing the 170 Berger's at 3200 hard, 3150 easy. (Not standard load data, nor throat for the round)
It is an elk hammer. I have several under its belt out at 500-800 yards.
It is breaked. It is fun to shoot, muzzle blast is significant, recoil is not. Unlike some of my bigger guns.
I have lots of guns and killed lots of critters with them all, a 270Wsm set up correctly to get all it can is potent medicine.

How has the performance of the 170's been? Whats your COAL on those baby's? I have a m70 325 wsm I am thinking about rebarreling to a 270 wsm to push those 170's. I think the winchester actions are considered a medium action.

Why would you handicap yourself by going down in both cartridge power and caliber?

There are no pros to the .270 WSM over the 7mm RemMag, especially when shooting elk at 800 yards.

I would go with a X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range in 7mm RemMag with the 1:8 twist, and shoot the 180-195 grain Bergers.

With a .007" difference in diameter, I'd say the only handicap exists in the 270WSM not being able to handle larger weight bullets than the 7RM. The velocities show that the energy difference for similar bullet weights between the two, is not a significant difference. For an all around deer elk platform, the weight difference between a LA and SA would be more of a factor for me.
I gotta say from caiati's post, man that 6.5PRC is something special!

A lot of people are hating the 6.5PRC because blah blah it doesn't do anything that all these other 6.5's haven't for thousands of years.

It can't be argued that the PRC is an excellent all around caliber for short/medium/long range to hunt and ring steel with. The recoil is negligible, barrel doesn't have to be super long and it can be a great lightweight platform, all while shooting factory ammo and not wasting an entire weekend reloading. I'm sold.

The only difference is the 270 WSM kills better, IMO of course! I own three 270 WSM reamers and zero 7 mag reamers if that says anything about how much people like them, I set them up with faster twist rate barrels and shoot 165 Matrix or 170 Berger's. I've seen some good feed back on the 145 eld though in normal twist.
I own a 270WSM in a Brux 26" 10 twist barrel. I'm really happy with results using the 145 ELD-X. I've settled on RE26 @ 3095FPS and 3/8-1/2 moa. Took a nice elk @ 340Yds with one shot in the boiler. DRT. There's always better options but I feel this setup works great.

With a .007" difference in diameter, I'd say the only handicap exists in the 270WSM not being able to handle larger weight bullets than the 7RM. The velocities show that the energy difference for similar bullet weights between the two, is not a significant difference. For an all around deer elk platform, the weight difference between a LA and SA would be more of a factor for me.
I gotta say from caiati's post, man that 6.5PRC is something special!
Yes, but you cannot properly compare equal weight bullets, you have to compare equal weight-for-caliber bullets. Just comparing straight weights is how you glorify a smaller caliber and **** a larger caliber. For example a 7mm 168 vs. a .30 caliber 168 are vastly different in BC. Just like comparing a 6.5mm 140 to a 7mm 140...

The 6.5 PRC is not special. It's a reheated leftover of the failed 6.5 GAP 4S, just using a different parent case.

How has the performance of the 170's been? Whats your COAL on those baby's? I have a m70 325 wsm I am thinking about rebarreling to a 270 wsm to push those 170's. I think the winchester actions are considered a medium action.

So far the performance has been excellent. All hits have looked remarkably similar, damage wise.
My COAL is 3.065.
I built the gun on a Rem700 Ultra mag action.

Yes, but you cannot properly compare equal weight bullets, you have to compare equal weight-for-caliber bullets. Just comparing straight weights is how you glorify a smaller caliber and **** a larger caliber. For example a 7mm 168 vs. a .30 caliber 168 are vastly different in BC. Just like comparing a 6.5mm 140 to a 7mm 140...

The 6.5 PRC is not special. It's a reheated leftover of the failed 6.5 GAP 4S, just using a different parent case.

I'm not an expert here by any means but why couldn't you compare equal weight bullets? At the end of the day no matter the caliber you are launching a projectile at a distance and calculating a number for speed and energy. The magic numbers everyone uses to properly kill animal "X" is the benchmark so what's the difference? If you compare a 308 to a 300WM you are basically glorifying the amount of powder in the case and not the caliber. Everyone knows a 300WM will always be a better choice for energy and speed than a 308 will be. All in all in most cases a standard run of the mill 308 is a lighter weight and shorter rifle to carry around which makes for a better all arounder than a run of the mill 300WM which will of course be longer and most likely heavier.

To argue straight ballistics equal weight for caliber bullets is the way to go but for this application as long as you hit your magic numbers and have enough elevation in your scope none of that matters. What does matter is weight, recoil and ease of use. As far as the 6.5PRC being special - ballistically speaking you are absolutely right, it's nothing special at all. There are a number of calibers offered that will do the same and then some with the same bullet. As far as an over the counter accurate, lightweight, low recoil, easy to use with readily available factory ammo, there's not much to compare it with a 6.5mm chamber offering.

Now as far as marketing etc... yes - that is what will keep the PRC alive and well just like the 6.5 Creedmoor. At the end of the day though, I would take a 6.5CM over a 260 or 308 any day.

Last edited:
I throat mine for a 3.125 ish COAL on the Matrix 165 or Berger 170, don't run them hard 3000 fps with Retumbo, I still kinda like the 165 better but the Berger has been excellent though I've seen probably 50+ more of the 165 ran through elk than the 170. It's a lot like the 300 Win and the 215 Berger, every time same performance steady and reliable, just really like them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.