270Wsm vs 7mmRemMag...

smallwood

I am currently shooting a 7mmRemMag with ELDX 162GR and am about to buy a new rifle.
I am considering changing calibers to the 270wsm with ELDX 145GR.
Looking for opinions on pros/cons of going with the 270wsm over the 7mag.
Shots will be out to 800yds on ELK.
Browning xbolt hell's canyon speed.
The 7mag has 26" barrel, the 270wsm has 23" barrel.

Last edited:
I am currently shooting a 7mmRemMag with ELDX 162GR and am about to buy a new rifle.

"IF" you are set on .270 WSM, I'd go with 1:8" or faster and load the Berger 170, Matrix 165/175, or Hammer Bullets 156/168, esp. for elk.

I do not have a .270 WSM but load the my .270 AI with 175 Matrix at 2993 FPS. Having said that, the 7MM RM is hard to beat with 1:9" or faster with 168/180 or possibly (?) the 195.

It might boil down to personal preference and intended purpose. Good luck!

Last edited:
So essentially an energy advantage to the 7RM, but the 270WSM is in a short action package.

If your a reloader consider mag box length when you go SA and heavy bullets.
Some dont like the belt on a 7 mag but if you set your dies up for .002 shoulder bump its irrelevant. If you want just something different a 30 cal of some kind might fill the bill better for deer and elk.

I switched from a 7 RM to a 270 wsm a couple years ago. Haven't regretted it. My 270 wsm has a 3" shorter barrel and is about 1lb lighter. In equal weight bullets the 270 will have a higher bc and higher or comparable velocity in a shorter barrel vs the 26" barrel of the 7mm. The upside to the 7mm is that you can shoot heavier bullets out of it.

I was chasing a lighweight mt rifle, so the weight of the rifle and the shorter barrel was more important than the ability to shoot heavier bullets. I don't regret my decision. I shot the bull in my avatar at 431 with the hornady precision hunter 145gr eldx. Performance was awesome. Haven't had a chance to poke something at 800 with it yet, so i can't speak to that.

I have owned both cartridges, and my wife currently uses a 7RM for elk.
If I chose to bulid another .270wsm, I would have it buildt around the twist rates for the of the 168's.
I haven't used theses yet, but reviews and customer service are huge with this company, we will be running them in all 4 of our main hunting cartridges next year.
I still have all my brass for the .270wsm Incase I acquire another one. It's a great round.
Good luck
https://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/277/
Edited to include this . Sorry

Last edited:
The only difference is the 270 WSM kills better, IMO of course! I own three 270 WSM reamers and zero 7 mag reamers if that says anything about how much people like them, I set them up with faster twist rate barrels and shoot 165 Matrix or 170 Berger's. I've seen some good feed back on the 145 eld though in normal twist.

i guess in your shoes i'd do something somewhat different than what you have, such as 6.5 creed to go less, or 300 something mag to more. maybe you already have those covered.

if you are actually changing calibers (selling your current gun/caliber) then i'd def step up a little for elk, again 30 something mag. other than more recoil at the bench, no real downside to going bigger.

I have owned both cartridges, and my wife currently uses a 7RM for elk.
If I chose to bulid another .270wsm, I would have it buildt around the twist rates for the of the 168's.
I haven't used theses yet, but reviews and customer service are huge with this company, we will be running them in all 4 of our main hunting cartridges next year.
I still have all my brass for the .270wsm Incase I acquire another one. It's a great round.
Good luck
Here ya go. Forgot to post The Who of which is why I posted. Lolhttps://hammerbullets.com/product-tag/277/

i guess in your shoes i'd do something somewhat different than what you have, such as 6.5 creed to go less, or 300 something mag to more. maybe you already have those covered.

if you are actually changing calibers (selling your current gun/caliber) then i'd def step up a little for elk, again 30 something mag. other than more recoil at the bench, no real downside to going bigger.

I agree.

To me, those 2 cartridges have too much overlap to consider "switching over". I'd prefer to go with a lighter recoiling 6.5, or a bigger 30, or 338, something that will offer a real advantage. Either in lighter recoil, or in more downrange power.

Browning xbolt hell's canyon speed.
The 7mag has 26" barrel, the 270wsm has 23" barrel.
Why would you handicap yourself by going down in both cartridge power and caliber?

There are no pros to the .270 WSM over the 7mm RemMag, especially when shooting elk at 800 yards.

I would go with a X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range in 7mm RemMag with the 1:8 twist, and shoot the 180-195 grain Bergers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.