? .270

How is Paul's 270 bullet doing down at wildcat bullets. Haven't heard from him in awhile. He had a good high bc one that turned on a 270. I have shot a 270 wby for nearly 40 years and have three now. I killed an elk over a 1000 yards back in the 70's with it. I love them for reasonable ranges but for way out there the bullets just haven't been available. I shot an elk with the 160 nosler partition and it did a very nice job. Shot extremely accurate also. Just no BC. Great bullet for just average shots though.

I'm thinking somebody (who knows, maybe me) needs to take a few 162gr Amax's for the 7mm and pass them through a couple of swaging dies down to .277,... After all, it's only .007".

That might be REAL interesting!

I'm thinking somebody (who knows, maybe me) needs to take a few 162gr Amax's for the 7mm and pass them through a couple of swaging dies down to .277,... After all, it's only .007".

That might be REAL interesting!

Don't do it. Went that route a year ago with 7mm Bergers. Many conversations with Dave Corbin, exchanges of some dollars (his way IMA) plus some extra nuclear grade machine work in Los Alamos.

.001-.002 most probably ok, Odds go down from there. @ 0.007" its not practicable.

I got really close but not close enough for consistent performance.

Plus, it was very labor intensive!!!!

Here's the next step in the evolution:

Prototype 1 - 150 NBT - Prototype 2 - WC 200 RBBT
IWKwNBT150WC195.jpg

I have a .270Win with a 26" 1 in 9 twist. I sure would like to see what it could do, but the options are limited as everyone has already said.
I grew up with the 270 as my everything rifle up elk. Never had a problem with terminal performance, but I never shot and over 200yrds with it.

I am waiting anxiously for some widlcat bullets to be offered.

How is Paul's 270 bullet doing down at wildcat bullets. Haven't heard from him in awhile. He had a good high bc one that turned on a 270. I have shot a 270 wby for nearly 40 years and have three now. I killed an elk over a 1000 yards back in the 70's with it. I love them for reasonable ranges but for way out there the bullets just haven't been available. I shot an elk with the 160 nosler partition and it did a very nice job. Shot extremely accurate also. Just no BC. Great bullet for just average shots though.[/QUOTE

Paul was having trouble keeping the jackets on in a high speed 270 am.
He sent me a few to try in my 270 amp 1in9 twist @ 3100 fps they worked great. i along with others are waiting for the 169's to ship i think last i talked to Paul via email he said he was still catching up on .284's but like has been stated it's the only one out there above 150 with any bc the partition goes to 160 but it's not a lr bullet.So i will paitently wait untill Paul is ready.

Will a bullet manufacturer jump on it? Probably not in the near future. It just doesn't pencil out business wise.

Here's what I'm betting. Some nondescript, never heard of fella, with drive, commitment, stupidity and little respect for a dollar will come up with something that some, such as the posters on this thread, will develop into small blip on the charts and get some attention.

I just learned of a bullet maker in Canada (Custom Rifle Bullets Built for Accuracy | Matrix Ballistics) who's just starting to make 165 (or 168) and 175 grain .277 bonded hunting bullets of the RBT HP design on J4 jackets.

The heavies aren't on his website yet and I don't know when they well be. They're discussing it on a Canadian forum here:
CanadianGunNutz.com

and here:

CanadianGunNutz.com

You'll need to register for the site to read those posts.

Looks like some of you may get your wish :)

Merry Christmas

-Bryan

WOW Bryan! Good find, I'm going to hit them up tomorrow to see what they can do. Good thread with a little bit of detail, BC looks good, someone mentioned they would make a heck of a LR hunting bullet also!

If what I heard is right, it makes a lot of sense to me. The 270Win was almost a military cal. I was told the prototype M1 Garand was chamberd for 270Win. This would explain the early functioning bugs of the production Garands. Powers that be wanted the 30 cal due to stock piles of the WWI surplus is my suspicion.

The prototype for the Garand was a .276 Pederson, not .270 Win.

Why does it seem like the heavy 277 bullets always have such long bearing surfaces? Someone needs to try to make a heavy 277 bulley with drive bands. lightbulb

WOW Bryan! Good find, I'm going to hit them up tomorrow to see what they can do. Good thread with a little bit of detail, BC looks good, someone mentioned they would make a heck of a LR hunting bullet also!

Yep, a good find. However a 0.09" meplat is a bit on the 'blunt' side.

Richard Graves and the original Wildcats design, which as carried over to Paul's Wildcats were/are very high bc and terminally effective.

What is needed is a jacket design that will hold up to the rigorous bore environment of the 3 groove barrel.

MSUmarksman said: "Why does it seem like the heavy 277 bullets always have such long bearing surfaces? Someone needs to try to make a heavy 277 bullet with drive bands."

If my understanding is correct the original extreme 270 cartridge bullet design was the WC 169.5 gr. Richard then came upon some longer jackets and gave them a go.

These bullets serendipitously ended up weighing 195 grains. They shot well, Lilja bores, up to about 400 rounds in about half of the barrels. They never shot well in mine and began dusting at around the 400 round mark.

The same dies are used for any weight of bullet thus the heavier the bullet the longer the bearing surface. Considerations for maintaining weight with shortened bearing length is something folks like Bryan appreciate and present an understandable explanation.

"Drive" bands imply solid bullets which are finicky. A lot of necessary bullet flexibility, forming when shot, is lost with the solids. Thus aren't for the run of the mill hunter/shooter.
Jacket design/material make up seems to be the secret. The straight sided types don't cut it. Neither does the Corbin tapered jacket seem to meet the standard.

Nosler and Hornady seem to have the hardiest jacket designs. Hornady's 270 cal .277 140 gr Interlock BTSP and and all weight of Nosler, NAB/NBTs have passed all tests, accuracy and terminal performance @ 3600 FPS through an aged 277 - 8 twist - 3 groove bore. All that is needed is a bit more weight and bc and we'll have something to go to.

Is a 3 twist necessary, or will a 5R work as well? Asking because I have a 5R 1 in 9 twist 26" barrel.

I am almost certain, note almost, that the 5R is solving the problem.

It was initially thought that the 3 groove was the best way to go. The thinking may have had to do with barrel life. It is very, very good just a bit tougher on jackets. The 270 AM is fairly extreme cartridge and I've been pushing it a bit.

Last edited:
I was able to get a hold of Matrix Ballistics and talk with them a little, sounds like they are getting close to putting out the heavy .277 cal bullets. They are recommending the 1-8 twist right now but it will be interesting to see, sounds like he has some out for testing and they are doing good.

Roy, .090 does seem a little blunt the Bergers are .061 in the .277 I believe, maybe someone will come up with a way to stick little brass points in them :D:D

I guess I'm on another list for high BC .277 cal bullets :rolleyes: I tell ya what if I was not giving my life savings to the hospital right now I would be ordering stuff from Corbin!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.