270. wsm vs 270 ss

I wouldn't mind picking up a big bore for those close quarter stands but most of my hunting is roads and clear cuts so I don't mind the smaller .277.

I really like both the 35 Whelen and the .358 Winchester. I've never used the 45-70, but wouldn't hesitate hunting anything with it. I will tell you that the 45-70 Guide Gun with the muzzle brake will really tap you. I put a KICKEEZ recoil pad on it, I don't shoot more than a 20 rounds when I go to the range with it. With 225gr Barnes bullets the Whelen strikes like the hammer of Thor. If you want a really nice big bore rifle, the .358 Winchester is a great cartridge to hunt with. It comes in a short action and ballistics close to the Whelen. I shoot 8 inch steel plates with it out to 300 yards. One year I went bear hunting and had a FTF problem with the Whelen so I hunted with the .358. The shot was broadside at around 50-60 yards. The bear was hit just behind the shoulders, went through an through, broke both shoulders. The bear ran about 30-40 feet and piled up DRT. My son and I both take .358s as a second gun when we go bear hunting, we use 200gr, Barnes TTSX bullets when we hunt. I am planning a deer hunt this coming fall, the .358 will be coming with me as a second rifle.

Question for those that built a 270wsm. Did you need to use a custom reamer to maximize shoulder/neck junction for 170 gr Berger or will a SAAMI spec reamer work?

You would need a custom reamer. bigngreen build mine and it is perfect. I am running a MRC action with a 3.125 mag length and my COAL with 170 Berger is 3.120 with the boat tail even with the shoulder/neck junction. He could give you the specs.

I need a little more help or possibly persuasion between these two. I'm taking with my smith and the gentleman I'm ordering parts from and I'm just up in the air. I can go short action or long doesn't make a difference. Narrowed it down between 2 actions and leaning heavily towards a bighorn tl3. This rifles main purpose is for my moose and bear hunting needs. I'm settled on a .277 as I've always just wanted one. 165gr matrix or 170 Berger. What's the benefits to running one over the other? What velocities are you guys getting out of these calibers? I see you can get ss brass now which is nice but it won't be as easy to get it here in Canada which I see as a bonus for the wsm. Plus more options and easier to acquire dies as well. Any help would be appreciated! Right now I'm leaning towards 270. Wsm long action build vs 270 ss short action build but open to opinions?

You would need a custom reamer. bigngreen build mine and it is perfect. I am running a MRC action with a 3.125 mag length and my COAL with 170 Berger is 3.120 with the boat tail even with the shoulder/neck junction. He could give you the specs.
Are you willing to rent you're reamer? Bartlien barrels is.chambering mine it would save me 12 to 16 weeks.

This would be a hard one to decide, I think both are excellent but I'd build both different so for me it'd depend on the total build component and the goals.
Hi bigngreen
I currently building a 270wsm to shoot 170bergers
This would be a hard one to decide, I think both are excellent but I'd build both different so for me it'd depend on the total build component and the goals.

Sedancowboy said you built his rifle. Are you willing to rent you reamer, Bartlien Barrels are going to build mine, I don't have a gunsmith near me. Or if you don't want to rent it are you willing to sale it?

How much jump do you have from olive if any. I just sent a dummy round to JGS tooling.

I am building a heavy slug 270 WSM laughing rig as well. I think the 1:7.5" or 1:8" twist is what I am using. PTG has a long free bore reamer for the 160 through 175 grain slugs. if not then I can ask them to grinding me one.
I'm going to rebarrel my M-70 for the heavy slugs.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.