.270wcf vs 6.8 Western & 270 WSM

my question is what's the difference between the 270 wsm and 6.8 western except twist rate is there any difference in the case
Yes they shortened the WSM case, so they don't interchange. What the hype is they upgraded the twist rate from 10 to 8 which allows you to shoot the longer heavier bullets that they made for the 6.8. Bottom line is the 270 family is still a great hunting cartridge without the heavy bullets, so if you want to shoot the 165gr-170gr bullets just get a 7mm ,280,308 or one of the many other rifles made for that bullet range. It's like if bought a 223 were you wanting to shoot a 140 or 150 gr bullet.

thank you that answered my question
I think the article leaves alot to be desired. It does not really discuss the real options for 27 Caliber rifles. The key is not so much the cartridge as it is the barrel twist. put a 1:8 twist barrel on any of them and yiu can shoot the high BC bullets. The 6.8 and 270 WSM will be a little faster than the .270WCF, but slower than a .270 Wby or 27 Nosler. Choose the speed you need, then the cartridge will follow. For a 165gr ABLR, the 6.8 & 270wsm will give you around 2900 fps, Weatherby and Nosler 3000+, 270wcf 2750.

I think the article leaves alot to be desired. It does not really discuss the real options for 27 Caliber rifles. The key is not so much the cartridge as it is the barrel twist. put a 1:8 twist barrel on any of them and yiu can shoot the high BC bullets. The 6.8 and 270 WSM will be a little faster than the .270WCF, but slower than a .270 Wby or 27 Nosler. Choose the speed you need, then the cartridge will follow. For a 165gr ABLR, the 6.8 & 270wsm will give you around 2900 fps, Weatherby and Nosler 3000+, 270wcf 2750.
but the article answer my question

That's not the point if my question. Why is the author saying that a normal 270 doesn't give it enough speed? getting 2700+ fps for these heavy bullets is no problem for a .270. That's not fast enough to make them work?
Does the author also compair a 22" 270 to a 26" 6.8wstn? Oh probably just how every 6.5cm out there has had a 22" barrel since they came out with 6.5prc with a 26" barrel.... Also they said a 6arc(with a 24" tube) was as as good as a 308(conveniently prolly with a 16" pipe).... Oh and the 350leg had more knock down power than the 30-30.....

Also you NEED a short action because a gun that has an action .5" shorter with a 4" LONGER barrel will be lighter

Many affordable good manufacturers make only one action length (Tikka) (a long action Tikka with a 24" barrel is lighter than a short action Winchester/browning with a 20" barrel).

Also you can put enough trail boss in the good ol 270 to make it JUST AS POWERFUL as the 6.8spc !!!

Fatter cartridges (like fatter people) don't cycle 🚴 as quickly as easily. 😁

Food for thought ... Whoever said a 458 socom was a 45-70 NEVER shot a full Marlin pressure handload.

you do know that the 6.8 and WSM are all but the same when loaded to work in a short action. the WSM are going to be 10 twist from factory and will not handle the heavies that well where the 6.8 is 8 twist and designed for the heavies. the only advantage the WSM has is if you use a long or intermediate length action to get the bullet out of the case to take advantage of the extra case capacity and an 8 twist barrel to stabilize them
The 270WSM has more useable case capacity in a short action as well, even with the heavier bullets. I think the only people who benefit from the 6.8w is those who don't have other larger and smaller rifles and want strictly to buy off the shelf rifles and ammo.

Bump up to a real Winchester!
I'd get the Browning if they weren't so darned expensive.
With new cartridges, if I get the itch, I always start out with a lower end rifle.
If I'm impressed, I'll get something I really want and give the first rifle to one of my kids.
Once I figure out if the 6.8 is something I really like, I'll probably get the Browning.
Most importantly, as a reloader, I'm going to wait until everything including the dies are available before I buy anything !

I'd get the Browning if they weren't so darned expensive.
With new cartridges, if I get the itch, I always start out with a lower end rifle.
If I'm impressed, I'll get something I really want and give the first rifle to one of my kids.
Once I figure out if the 6.8 is something I really like, I'll probably get the Browning.
Most importantly, as a reloader, I'm going to wait until everything including the dies are available before I buy anything !
win has 6.8 western brass

I am new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been following the discussions on rebarreling of a 270 WSM with faster twist and COL discussion. I just rebarreled my 270 WSM with 7½ twist and provide the following loading information. I was going to rebarrel in a 6.8 Western, but die sets are not available until next year and wanted it for a deer hunt this year. I did purchase both the 270 WSM Reamer and the 6.8 Western Reamer, so I could go either way. Fortunately I found the three long rang high twist bullets being promoted for use in the 6.8 Western.

Using H4831SC powder, I safely loaded the following three long range bullets up to 3000 fps. At that velocity none of the brass showed any signs of stress. There is still room for additional powder in all three if necessary. [My observation - There is no need to seat bullet longer than magazine length. In my case for the Winchester 70 COL 2.965"].

Load test were three (3) shot groups at 200 yards, were about ½ MOA. I did pull one shot, that group had 1½ MOA. If I ignore that shot group the other two rounds were ½ MOA. These are not fine-tuned loadings, but rather going up ½ gr looking for brass overpressure issues to safely reach 3000 fps for each bullet. I reached the maximum velocities I have seen for the "6.8 Western" cartridge data or on any of the ammo boxes or provided elsewhere.

All were loaded about 15/1000 off the lande or 2.965 [magazine fit]. I used Hodgdon web tool for determining Starting and Maximum Loads and Berger provided loading information on the Elite Hunter bullet.

175 Sierra Tipped Game King – 2.965 COL Average Velocity 3000 fps

170 Berger Elite Hunter – 2.965 COL Average Velocity 3075 fps

165 Nosler AccuBond Long Range – 2.900 COL Average Velocity 3175 fps

I am feeling very good about this rifle rebuild with a 7½ twist and know I can obtain the same results as the "6.8 Western". And can do better because I reload and can finetune the powder load and seating depth. My initial concern was powder capacity in the 270 as the bullet could not be seated out as far as the 6.8, but not an issue with a Winchester or Savage. I am amazed by the powder capacity in the 270 WSM cartridge, more than a 45-70. I don't think a reloader would purchase a 6.8 Western, no advantage over rebarreled 270 WSM. Available brass and bullets, and can shoot factory ammo with a 270 WSM.

The only question [on possible advantage] is "efficiency" … Is the 6.8 Western more efficient than the 270 WSM with a 7½ twist barrel. Question for a reloader … Does the 6.8 Western need less or more powder to achieve the same velocities as a rebarreled 270 WSM? My next step will be to fine tune loadings for each bullet using H4831SC.

I look forward to hearing results from others. As we know every gun is different, but I think they will find similar results with no need to increase free bore to get comparable results as the 6.8 Western.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.