.270wcf vs 6.8 Western & 270 WSM

Again, this cartridge uses longer bullets so during testing, it was found that they are far less susceptible to wind drift and drop.
I'm just reporting what I've discovered when studying their testing.
Clearly, the 270 is a great round.
The 6.8W is simply better suited for elk at longer ranges.
This is making no sense. For any comparison to be valid, they need like for like. Did no one load the same bullet on a 270 to compare it with the 6.8?
This cartridge doesn't 'use longer bullets' to the exclusion of other cartridges.
Until they put, say, a 165 Nosler ABLR on to a 270WCF, 270WSM, 6.8 Western, ..270 Wby, 27 Nosler and push them all down a 1:8 twist barrel to compare performance, any use of the word 'better ' or other comparatives are empty of relevant meaning.

Why not just get a 7mm rem mag shooting the 175 grain ABLR? At six hundred yards is there really enough difference to matter? I am just asking. Maybe somebody can answer my comment.

Why not just get a 7mm rem mag shooting the 175 grain ABLR? At six hundred yards is there really enough difference to matter? I am just asking. Maybe somebody can answer my comment.
that is simple at 600 yds there is no difference and as for your other question that is even more simple to answer
6.5 creed fan
7rm fan
300 win mag fan
338 fan
you get the point

Funny to see in our local stores, Alaska, have the 6.8 ammo on their shelves. For me I moved on with another Tikka Roughtech 270WSM. I think the comments concerning the misinformation about the 6.8 are on target. The only people to benefit from the 6.8 would be those who don't have a 270 and are looking for a new rifle that may have less recoil using the 160-170 bullets. Overall If your looking for a Elk hunting cartridge there are many better choice's to make.

you do know that the 6.8 and WSM are all but the same when loaded to work in a short action. the WSM are going to be 10 twist from factory and will not handle the heavies that well where the 6.8 is 8 twist and designed for the heavies. the only advantage the WSM has is if you use a long or intermediate length action to get the bullet out of the case to take advantage of the extra case capacity and an 8 twist barrel to stabilize them

This is making no sense. For any comparison to be valid, they need like for like. Did no one load the same bullet on a 270 to compare it with the 6.8?
This cartridge doesn't 'use longer bullets' to the exclusion of other cartridges.
Until they put, say, a 165 Nosler ABLR on to a 270WCF, 270WSM, 6.8 Western, ..270 Wby, 27 Nosler and push them all down a 1:8 twist barrel to compare performance, any use of the word 'better ' or other comparatives are empty of relevant meaning.
You'll likely get an article like that sooner than later because the industry is in the business of selling stuff. Though it may not include the Weatherby or the Nosler, or maybe one of them to show the higher end performance. A standard 270 Win with should be able to get to 2600 fps with a Berger 170 EOL and using a 1:8 twist barrel would be stable even at 0 ft Alt and 40 deg F. It would be the say the best choice for really long range hunting but in distances out to 400-500 yards it would be pretty effective on most deer sized game. I think the writers statements likely needed more qualifying points, "the 6.8 blah is better if ...". They usually fail to point out where various cartridges realistically run out of velocity and energy to be ethical from a modern hunting view point.

Of course if you're doing a 270 Win barrel and wanted to use these heavier bullets I'd go for a mode throat lead and a long enough magazine to handle the long bullets. This would maximize internal ballistics and wring the most out of what ever bullet you use.

Agreed. There is barely a measureable diff. Not worth swapping.
If starting fresh, and wanting a magnum .27 cal rifle, the 6.8 Western could be a candidate, along with the 270 Weatherby and 27 Nosler. It's really about a 1:8 twist.
( I never got excited about the 270 WSM.)

Agreed. There is barely a measureable diff. Not worth swapping.
If starting fresh, and wanting a magnum .27 cal rifle, the 6.8 Western could be a candidate, along with the 270 Weatherby and 27 Nosler. It's really about a 1:8 twist.
( I never got excited about the 270 WSM.)
I believe that the 7mm Rem Mag has a one-in-nine twist. Very close.

You'll likely get an article like that sooner than later because the industry is in the business of selling stuff. Though it may not include the Weatherby or the Nosler, or maybe one of them to show the higher end performance. A standard 270 Win with should be able to get to 2600 fps with a Berger 170 EOL and using a 1:8 twist barrel would be stable even at 0 ft Alt and 40 deg F. It would be the say the best choice for really long range hunting but in distances out to 400-500 yards it would be pretty effective on most deer sized game. I think the writers statements likely needed more qualifying points, "the 6.8 blah is better if ...". They usually fail to point out where various cartridges realistically run out of velocity and energy to be ethical from a modern hunting view point.

Of course if you're doing a 270 Win barrel and wanted to use these heavier bullets I'd go for a mode throat lead and a long enough magazine to handle the long bullets. This would maximize internal ballistics and wring the most out of what ever bullet you use.
agreed. Each hunter needs to determine his threshold for distance then the data will guide to a good choice of cartridge.
Though I'd add 100 fps for the 170/270WCF load, easily. I'm seeing less and less to convince a change to a magnum realm.

agreed. Each hunter needs to determine his threshold for distance then the data will guide to a good choice of cartridge.
Though I'd add 100 fps for the 170/270WCF load, easily. I'm seeing less and less to convince a change to a magnum realm.
Either stay with the 270 Win or jump to the 270WBY with an 8 twist and throat it for the bullet you want. The long neck and perfect capacity for powders like H1000 and RL26 make the BEE seem like it was made just for these 165/170 grain javelins.

Either stay with the 270 Win or jump to the 270WBY with an 8 twist and throat it for the bullet you want. The long neck and perfect capacity for powders like H1000 and RL26 make the BEE seem like it was made just for these 165/170 grain javelins.
With the .270 Weatherby about there does any need really exist for the 27 Nosler? Is it just more planned obsolescence?

yup.

Just for reference, this past 2 weeks I have been working on my 270win and a new to me 7 mag. In the 270 I have a 130 load with the sst and BT in Fed brass the 130 is shooting 3139 ES 3 sd 1 well off max. The 140 game changer also is shooting 3140 Es 3 and sd 1 as well. Both bullets will shoot at or over 3200fps in my rifle without a swipe. The latest load is a 150 Berger I still need to complete the seating testing as it is not better than the other 2 in group size yet. This wants to shoot at 3133es 5 sd 1.7. This is out of a stock Weatherby vanguard 24" barrel running Rl26. All are seated long with the 150 3.410 coal currently. To think that the 170 Berger will only get to 2600fps in a standard 270 with 7828 magpro Retumbo or Rl26 just isn't correct. With a custom barrel and throated for the big bullets with a 3.5 or 3.6 coal in the 270 I don't see why 2900fps isn't realistic for a mild load and in something 27 or longer should see 3k. Will it shoot best there I cannot say however in my experience with Rl26 it seems to like to shoot with 100% case fill and near the top.
You can do that with the others I would guess and it should be faster still. I get a chuckle when I see 270wsm loads a tick or 2 slower than my 270 win that is getting marginalized as being washed up. RUn 61 grains of Rl26 under the 150 Berger and see for yourself.
With the 7 mag I just picked up 162 amax and 168 smk's over retumbo. I had both running well in the 3020-30 range. There is some room for more speed with RL26 but not a lot in this rifle. I ran a ladder but didn't get as much speed as I expected due to lower-than-expected pressure in the win brass vs the fed brass used for the retumbo loads. It does have more smack than the 150/270 and would be better by a decent margin ballistically. The 7 is also in a vanguard so 24" tube is on both.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.