.270wcf vs 6.8 Western & 270 WSM

lets take the chart above there is about a 2800 fps at max load in a 26 inch barrel. most 270 win have a 22-24 inch barrel. most guns don't preform at there best at max pressure normally somewhere in the pressure mid range. the berger has a short bearing surface and the 175 matrix or the pictures of the 175 sierra have a lot longer bearing surface. so lets be realistic and give a 2650 fps enter that in the berger ballistic calculator and at 400 yards it is falling out of the sky and at 500 it is a brick
I am not against the 270 win but lets be realistic it is not a long range gun with high bc, heavy bullets. it is a great 300-400 yard gun with 130-140 class bullets
I shoot 150 gr 3 to 4 hundred yards is a chip shot for me I don't have to make any adjustments till I go over 300 yards in Vietnam they were using 30-06 to shoot over a 1000 yards the 270 is a 30-06 necked down so it carries a little bit better so I don't understand how u could figure its only good for 3 to 400 yards

Comparing SAAMI performance is one thing. When it comes to running long, heavy for caliber bullets, seating beyond the SAAMI MAXIMUM OACL can yield some advantages. This doesn't really get discussed as much as it could.

The same applies to the WSM. Running them at 3.15" (instead of the SAAMI 2.86") can offer a couple more grains of usable case capacity.

Last edited:
I have Berger book and I have loaded some 140gr VLD and their top velocity is 3058fps with 26" barrel and COAL 3.340".

The 270, 150gr ABLR I have are 1.420" and 165gr are 1.515" and not sure .095" capacity would make much of a difference. The Berger 170 gr is 1.490" again not sure what .070" be major problem. I've got Berger manual and the data for 270 with 170gr almost look like data from their 150gr bullet.
https://bergerbullets.com/pdf/270-Win-140gr.pdf
I'm at 61.2 of RL26

So, just in case you want real life data.. I am running the 170 berger out of a sammi chamber with Ramshot Magnum @ 2900 fps .. Mcgowen barrel on an ole Ruger 270.. 24" barrel. No pressure signs and all bullets touching at 100.. I have taken it out to 800 on game and it performs flawless. Don't buy in to the "manutia" of people trying to sell you something by down grading something else.
The 270 is running flawless with a 1:8 twist barrel and a good heavy VLD bullet..
IMHO the only thing that could make it better is a little freebore..

Last edited:
I updated the post with barrel length.. I don't personally like RL 26 because I live in New Mexico and hunt barbary in some hot temps.. I locked the bolt up on a gun when it got hot with RL 26 so, I use other powders that aren't temp sensitive over 80 F.. I love RL for steel in cooler temps.. Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to rebarrel a 270 with a 1:8 and shoot the heavies.. I am always a fan of shooting the heaviest bullet for caliber I can.. A good smith could probably tell us what amount of freebore would be good to stretch the 270 a little.. 2900 fps is awesome though. I have no complaints at this point.. I just needed something to do during Covid so I rebarreled the ole 270 and I am sure glad I did. I can't say enough good about the Ramshot Mag with this Combo..

As a after thought; wouldn't it be fun to see what the new Hammer bullets would do in a 1:8 twist.. I guess I better get some ordered. Probably be 3000 or better.

Last edited:
Dxl: barrel length? Powder? RL26?
Magpro and 7828 will run within 50fps of RL 26. Magpro I can get 150's to shoot the same speed that Rl26 shoots best. I just can't match the sd's Sub 20fps but not es numbers of 3 or 6 or 18 over 44 shots like this past weekend with 6 different seating depths.

I've shot 170 gr bullets with my 700 adl Remington it's just bs they put out there so you'll run out and spend some money on a new barrel. I'm with you on the 27 Nosler I can't get any info u can't even get a price etc on brass on their website if they had brass available I would already own one. Oh yeah at 100 yards they grouped about half-inch the 170 gr loads in my Remington that is.
Stick 700 ADL? are those 170s running in a 1:10 barrel?
thanks

They would most definitely perform! Problem is, they are trying to sell the 6.8 western by down grading the 270 Winchester. It's also not the latest greatest thing being heavy high bc at super fast speeds which seems to be the thing these days. If your goal is the 170gr range of bullets then personally I'd look for a more efficient or larger case then the stsndardn270 as well but I wouldn't say the 270 couldn't donit
agreed. it does seem to be a way to build one up by tearing the other down. And yes, if I wanted a heavier bullet, I'd go up a caliber.

So, just in case you want real life data.. I am running the 170 berger out of a sammi chamber with Ramshot Magnum @ 2900 fps .. Mcgowen barrel on an ole Ruger 270.. 24" barrel. No pressure signs and all bullets touching at 100.. I have taken it out to 800 on game and it performs flawless. Don't buy in to the "manutia" of people trying to sell you something by down grading something else.
The 270 is running flawless with a 1:8 twist barrel and a good heavy VLD bullet..
IMHO the only thing that could make it better is a little freebore..
great. how much freebore are you at now?
How much would be better?
thanks

great. how much freebore are you at now?
How much would be better?
thanks
Not a gun smith or bullet designer, I know that on a Sammi chamber like mine the 170 berger is pushed back into the case past the shoulder junction therefore taking up some of the case capacity. As I stated in prior post, maybe a good Smith or bullet designer could tell us how much freebore a regular sammi 270 would need to get the bullet moved forward to take advantage of using more powder. Maybe instead of 2900 fps we could get to 2950 or 3000.. No matter it is shooting well enough as is.... but, with freebore I believe it would have even more long range potential.. 800 yards with a 170 EOL dropped a 6 point bull in its tracks... Bullet performed flawless.... Is this the be all, end all set up?? No it is just a great option to use a well designed 270 case. You just get a new barrel with a 1:8 twist.. Freebore to get long bullets out of the neck junction.. Simple. The amount of freebore I don't know.

agreed. it does seem to be a way to build one up by tearing the other down. And yes, if I wanted a heavier bullet, I'd go up a caliber.

well personally, I love the idea of a fast twist 270 personally. I just meant if I was looking at a heavier bullet like the 170's then I would look at a better case or a larger case (270ss, 270 wsm on a medium or long action, 6.8 western, 270 weatherby, 270 Sherman or Winchester AI) just to try to get the speeds at the 2950-3100 range

Not a gun smith or bullet designer, I know that on a Sammi chamber like mine the 170 berger is pushed back into the case past the shoulder junction therefore taking up some of the case capacity. As I stated in prior post, maybe a good Smith or bullet designer could tell us how much freebore a regular sammi 270 would need to get the bullet moved forward to take advantage of using more powder. Maybe instead of 2900 fps we could get to 2950 or 3000.. No matter it is shooting well enough as is.... but, with freebore I believe it would have even more long range potential.. 800 yards with a 170 EOL dropped a 6 point bull in its tracks... Bullet performed flawless.... Is this the be all, end all set up?? No it is just a great option to use a well designed 270 case. You just get a new barrel with a 1:8 twist.. Freebore to get long bullets out of the neck junction.. Simple. The amount of freebore I don't know.
sounds like you've got it figured out. Good deal.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts