270. wsm vs 270 ss

matt_3479

I need a little more help or possibly persuasion between these two. I'm taking with my smith and the gentleman I'm ordering parts from and I'm just up in the air. I can go short action or long doesn't make a difference. Narrowed it down between 2 actions and leaning heavily towards a bighorn tl3. This rifles main purpose is for my moose and bear hunting needs. I'm settled on a .277 as I've always just wanted one. 165gr matrix or 170 Berger. What's the benefits to running one over the other? What velocities are you guys getting out of these calibers? I see you can get ss brass now which is nice but it won't be as easy to get it here in Canada which I see as a bonus for the wsm. Plus more options and easier to acquire dies as well. Any help would be appreciated! Right now I'm leaning towards 270. Wsm long action build vs 270 ss short action build but open to opinions?

The 270 wsm built on a LA or Tikka will allow you to run 3.15" oal with the heavies and take advantage of the 79gr capacity. The Sherman is around 72gr. If you're getting the same velocity, it's because the SS is running at much higher pressure. The 270wsm on a long action is a great cartridge, can do all for big game, however I'd more for bear.

Who might that be?
His name is Mark Webster. He is in northern Al.
The 270 wsm built on a LA or Tikka will allow you to run 3.15" oal with the heavies and take advantage of the 79gr capacity. The Sherman is around 72gr. If you're getting the same velocity, it's because the SS is running at much higher pressure. The 270wsm on a long action is a great cartridge, can do all for big game, however I'd more for bear.
The Sherman ADG brass holds about 73.5 grains in a 270 configuration and will run the 170 Berger north of 3000' and get 20 firings on brass. I don't know what pressure its running, but at 20 firings, I don't care!:D

I need a little more help or possibly persuasion between these two. I'm taking with my smith and the gentleman I'm ordering parts from and I'm just up in the air. I can go short action or long doesn't make a difference. Narrowed it down between 2 actions and leaning heavily towards a bighorn tl3. This rifles main purpose is for my moose and bear hunting needs. I'm settled on a .277 as I've always just wanted one. 165gr matrix or 170 Berger. What's the benefits to running one over the other? What velocities are you guys getting out of these calibers? I see you can get ss brass now which is nice but it won't be as easy to get it here in Canada which I see as a bonus for the wsm. Plus more options and easier to acquire dies as well. Any help would be appreciated! Right now I'm leaning towards 270. Wsm long action build vs 270 ss short action build but open to opinions?

I don't own a 270 ss, so I will defer to those that do - but I do own a 270 wsm and absolutely love it. I looked at the sherman cartridges and at the time, the availability and cost of brass was a deterent for me. I don't mind handloading, but I don't like it enough to go through the fireforming process to create my brass - that was another factor at the time.

I own a 270 WSM and a 6.5 SS.
270 on a long action. I push the 170 around 3150 in the 270. Accuracy is decent.
6.5 was built later and on a short action. It is a sweet shooting rig. I like to shoot it so much, I will prolly need a new barrel soon. I am pushing 147s at 3050 easy.
I know it's not .277 to .277 comparison but just for reference.
I am not made of money but in the game of custom guns, and long range shooting I am not sure the cost of components or ability to go buy a box of rounds at Walmart is valid. I mean what does a Big horn action, Mac stock, sweet trigger...... cost. Compared to a few hundred brass and custom dies... not to mention optics..
I really like my WSM but I like being able to talk to Rich about loading and whatnot and I get a kick out of explaining what a SS and how efficient it is is to my buddies. They both will kill any hooved or clawed critter with confidence!

Go with the WSM it is a real winner. It will never surplant the 270 win just because of the years of experience, but its superior in every way. Reloading is a breeze. Alliants R19 is the powder that mine likes. I'm pushing 150 gr. pills at 3000 + FPS and shooting them into .75 MOA Thats a whole lot of punch in an accurate package.

Go with the WSM it is a real winner. It will never surplant the 270 win just because of the years of experience, but its superior in every way. Reloading is a breeze. Alliants R19 is the powder that mine likes. I'm pushing 150 gr. pills at 3000 + FPS and shooting them into .75 MOA Thats a whole lot of punch in an accurate package.
The barrel will last much longer with a 270 SS, and you will have plenty of power to shoot half-mile on game, with 170 EOL Berger hunting bullets. Happy hunting, Sir.

Last edited:
It looks like someone else is looking to build a heavy slugged 270 WSM. I have a Mod 70 in 270 WSM with a 1:10" twist.. Pac-Nor is going to put the new barrel on and then I get to glas on a Chet Brown stock. I do not know this 270 SS. can't say I am familiar with it. but I know the 270 WSM as I have two of them and would not give up either. I would never go after bear with anything less than my 338 Win Mag. anything with claws and that much will power I want it to be dead before I get out of my hiding spot. even the small Cal Blacks I went after I would not use anything smaller than a 300 class slug. I have shot Elk, many Elk with a .277" 140 and 150 grain slug. some Winchester cases, some WSM cases. all were very effective. the win was relegated to deer duty once I found how much better the WSM tossed the 140 grain Barnes and 150 grain Berger slugs. My 270 Win loves the 110 grain class slugs so that is what deer get.
my best advice to anyone is to use the 270 WSM. even the original Winchester is a great gun once you put on a 1:8" twist barrel.

I love my 2700ss! It is my lightweight go-to rig. Killed a bunch of deer and couple bears with it to date.im taking this along with my 300ss to texas next week for aoudad so just depends on the day as to which I use. I'm shooting the 165 matrix right at 3000 fps with a 24" 1:8 barrel and rl 23. Also running this at 2.918" coal in a rem 700 with wyatt's box. I was one of Rich's testers for the adg brass in the 270 and 300ss and it is tough!
Never had a 270 wsm but have shot them and no complaints either.
Here is my 270ss
20181201_114458.jpg

Have you used both to compare barrel life?
No Sir, I haven't but I have been waiting for years (decades) to see high B.C. 257 and 277 bullets. I studied the barrel life of the 257 Weatherby and 270 Wizzum and I don't think owners lie about barrel life. I have seen shot out 257 Weatherby barrels and they ain't pretty. As I have no experience with the 270 WSM, I reliy on the common honesty of their owners. The 270 EOL 170 gr. Berger appears to be a great bullet (1-8" twist) with a decent form factor and bearing surface. It appears it may be less harmful to a barrel than the 168 gr. 7mm Berger bullets, but that isn't settled law as I have only used 168 JLK's. My only interest is in efficient cases and good bullet design. Anything past reasonable hunting distance is target shooting anyways. The study on .257 131 gr. Blackjack bullets began last June, and I am awaiting information on the 25 SST, 25 Creedmore, 25 XC and 25 SLR. Good Luck with your 270.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.