barrel for 270 wsm or 270 SS build

westcoasthunter

I have a new benchmark 1-9 twist #4 barrel. But now that the 170 berger came out i want to go with a 1-8 twist barrel, . The 1-9 twist barrel wont stabilize those bullets at my elevation . I was hoping for some info on what barrel makers you would look at , brux , benchmark, hart, and so one, this will be for a 270 wsm or 270 Sherman SS , built around the 165 matrix and 170 berger.

I have a new benchmark 1-9 twist #4 barrel. But now that the 170 berger came out i want to go with a 1-8 twist barrel, . The 1-9 twist barrel wont stabilize those bullets at my elevation . I was hoping for some info on what barrel makers you would look at , brux , benchmark, hart, and so one, this will be for a 270 wsm or 270 Sherman SS , built around the 165 matrix and 170 berger.

I assume that you are at sea level?

At 2900fps, with that barrel, you get a SG of 1.4+. (are you able to get 2900fps? WSM) You will be able to push that bullet much faster with the Sherman…and the bullet will be much more stabile.

My 270 WBY, with a Benchmark 1-9 barrel, stabilizes that bullet (170 Berger) fine…

Use that barrel and have fun…while another barrel is on order...

Use this...Twist Rate Stability Calculator | Berger Bullets

ETA: this bullet (Berger) is about 1.49" long and has a G7 of .336@3000-2500fps

What is going to be the finished length of your current Benchmark barrel? Mine is 28"

At 2900fps, with that barrel, you get a SG of 1.4+. (are you able to get 2900fps? WSM) You will be able to push that bullet much faster with the Sherman…and the bullet will be much more stabile.

My 270 WBY, with a Benchmark 1-9 barrel, stabilizes that bullet (170 Berger) fine…

ETA: this bullet (Berger) is about 1.49" long and has a G7 of .336@3000-2500fps[/Q

thanks for the info how are you liking the 170's? i hunt from 0ft-2000ft the most and and then somtimes up to 5000 over east, i checked the Stability last night at 300FT , 20 degrees with the 170 and a 1-9 twist i was at a SG=1.36 Marginal stabilty , and the same number in the 1-8 twist i got a SG=1.72.. I ran the number at 3100FPS BC. G7 .336, do you like your benchmark? i have never shot one trying to figure out if i should oreder another or go with another barrel maker

ETA: this bullet (Berger) is about 1.49" long and has a G7 of .336@3000-2500fps[/Q

thanks for the info how are you liking the 170's? i hunt from 0ft-2000ft the most and and then somtimes up to 5000 over east, i checked the Stability last night at 300FT , 20 degrees with the 170 and a 1-9 twist i was at a SG=1.36 Marginal stabilty , and the same number in the 1-8 twist i got a SG=1.72.. I ran the number at 3100FPS BC. G7 .336, do you like your benchmark? i have never shot one trying to figure out if i should oreder another or go with another barrel maker

By all means get a 1-8 twist. In the mean time…use your 1-9 barrel…especially if you get the Sherman.

What action do you have? What kind of speed are you expecting? I am getting 3080fps with the Berger 170 in my Wby. That was just with the initial guess loadings…I am waiting for the roads to de-mud (or to freeze) to shoot for more info on the Berger.

I have two Benchmark barrels mounted on actions and a third Benchmark barrel waiting on an action. So far, I am liking the Benchmark barrels (they can shoot better than I can)…

Any idea on the finished length of your barrel?

I have a 30" SS Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) in my .270 AI and my current accuracy load pushes the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (got near 3100 FPS but group opens up and pressure that I can do without) using 58g H4831SC. The barrel hardly gets dirty and really enjoying it.

I have a 30" SS Lilja 1:8" 3G #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) in my .270 AI and my current accuracy load pushes the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (got near 3100 FPS but group opens up and pressure that I can do without) using 58g H4831SC. The barrel hardly gets dirty and really enjoying it.

I too have had very good results with the 3G Liljas. Good accuracy, barrel life, and clean easily. I really like the Kriegers too......Rich

That is great velocity for a 270 AI…seems like a great barrel choice…I will order this barrel if my Mausingfield, LA, mag face, action ever ships (been waiting over 10 months). I can then switch barrels at home...:)

thank you guys.. Also for the 165 & 170gr bullets what groove barrel would u order? i want a #4 contour 26" and not sure on what kinda flutes yet.

I have a #4 with flutes…If I were to do it again…I would not flute the barrel…

Grooves…I have no recommendations…more knowledgeble people here than me...

Get at least a 28" barrel if you are going custom...

Rich,

Do Kriegers make them in 1:8" too?

Ed

Good catch! They do not as far as I know. I used kriegers on my 30 and 7mm. My 6.5's have Lilja and Bartlein, and my 270SS will have a Brux 8.5 twist. Bartlein will also make any twist you want.

Good catch! They do not as far as I know. I used kriegers on my 30 and 7mm. My 6.5's have Lilja and Bartlein, and my 270SS will have a Brux 8.5 twist. Bartlein will also make any twist you want.

Copy that, I thought maybe it's something new that they're offering and just did not update their site yet.

Cheers!

Ed

Copy that, I thought maybe it's something new that they're offering and just did not update their site yet.

Cheers!

Ed

I have not ordered an 8" twist 270 barrel from Krieger so I can't answer specifically to this question.

I have ordered other caliber barrels from them with twists and contours that are not listed. There is usually a small additional charge for a non-standard item. As an example, I currently have a 9.0" twist 30 caliber #4.5 contour barrel laying on the shelf.
They charged an extra $35 for a non standard twist. I think all the non-standard twists are only available in 4 groove.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.