barrel for 270 wsm or 270 SS build

If it's a cut barrel why not 8.5?? I don't see any reason why 8 would be needed with the current crop of bullets. The 170 Berger at 2800fps is 1.493 SG at sea level with the 8.5 tw. I'm thinking a gain twist would be a good option looking at the results others had with the 7mm short mags in f class rigs.

By all means get a 1-8 twist. In the mean time…use your 1-9 barrel…especially if you get the Sherman.

What action do you have? What kind of speed are you expecting? I am getting 3080fps with the Berger 170 in my Wby. That was just with the initial guess loadings…I am waiting for the roads to de-mud (or to freeze) to shoot for more info on the Berger.

I have two Benchmark barrels mounted on actions and a third Benchmark barrel waiting on an action. So far, I am liking the Benchmark barrels (they can shoot better than I can)…

Any idea on the finished length of your barrel?
Sorry i missed your post with work and moving i been super busy, Im hoping to get 3050+ im really leaning towards the 270 SS., the action will be a tikka t3 26" barrel and a #4 contour thats the biggest my manner EH-TA stock will take .

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.