270. wsm vs 270 ss

Keep it coming fella's. Thanks everyone that has responded so far. I just see benefits to both cartridges. I love the idea of ADG brass on the ss, but prefer Redding dies and I believe the ss is Forster dies. I like that the wsm has the little extra velocity, ensures me 3050fps+. Every caliber I've owned and shot has always been slower then what everyone else seems to be getting which makes me nervous about the ss. Short action/long action doesn't overly bother me either way. Sure I light the idea of the short action but if I were to do a switch barrel I think I'd prefer a long action as I'm interested in a few long action std. and mag calibers.
If you want a long action for a switch bbl setup, the standard 270 sherman will get you to 3050 pretty easily I'd say with RL-26. Mine is running 3115 with the 170 Berger out of a 27" bbl. It's got a touch more capacity than the ss. Brass is pretty easy to form from 270 win brass too.

I have a .270wsm and I run it the opposite. 110 Barnes TTSX @ 3500fps. It has been DRT on a pile of Deer out to 500yds only one bullet recovered the rest punched a nice hole though em and let the air out of their bags. That being said if you want to run them long and heavy then go with what will give you the most horsepower which is the 270wsm. I have also run the 140 AB out to 600yds @ about 3200 sub moa accuracy. All of that out of a factory Remington 700 with some stock and trigger work. Plus you can buy ammo off the shelf if you ever had to... my vote .270wsm with the fast twist bbl.

This would be a hard one to decide, I think both are excellent but I'd build both different so for me it'd depend on the total build component and the goals.

Well regardless of caliber the comments are very similar. If I go short action or long it will be defiance or bighorn and leaning on the bighorn tl3 as the preferred choice right now.

Yes, it will have a 7ss head stamp and neck at this point but that's a simple stroke of the sizer.

Oh I assumed when I read else where that adg was making 270. ss brass I figured it would be head stamped correctly for each caliber not 7ss and having to neck up and down. I prefer proper head stamped brass personally.

If you want a long action for a switch bbl setup, the standard 270 sherman will get you to 3050 pretty easily I'd say with RL-26. Mine is running 3115 with the 170 Berger out of a 27" bbl. It's got a touch more capacity than the ss. Brass is pretty easy to form from 270 win brass too.

I considered a 270 Sherman or 270 AI for a little while but if I was running medium/long action the Wsm has slightly more velocity then the other two, and wouldn't have to fireform which to me is a bonus and is the reason I ruled them out of the runnings and left myself with the wsm or ss

Well regardless of caliber the comments are very similar. If I go short action or long it will be defiance or bighorn and leaning on the bighorn tl3 as the preferred choice right now.

Oh I assumed when I read else where that adg was making 270. ss brass I figured it would be head stamped correctly for each caliber not 7ss and having to neck up and down. I prefer proper head stamped brass personally.

I considered a 270 Sherman or 270 AI for a little while but if I was running medium/long action the Wsm has slightly more velocity then the other two, and wouldn't have to fireform which to me is a bonus and is the reason I ruled them out of the runnings and left myself with the wsm or ss

I really sounds like you need a wsm!

I own both, The 270 Win has been my pet rifle for deer for over 10 yrs. I load the 130gr ballistic tips and push them right at 3100fps out of the 22" barrel.

I bought a 270 WSM to take to Newfoundland in 2004 to caribou hunt. I loaded the 140gr Accubonds that gave me 3275 fps out of a 24" barrel. The ballistics of that slick bullet and the high velocity are impressive to say the least. I liked the round enough I had the action trued and had a 26" stainless match barrel installed. I had to rework my loads and I have not had a chance to run them over a Chonograph as of yet. Using the heavier loads with a longer barrel, I would bet I am getting at least 50 fps more velocity now , but it will be a while before I can check the speed. That will put it in the ranks of the 7mm Weatherby Magnum with the 140gr bullets, however it will fall behind if you go to the 150-160gr bullets.

The 270 WSM is stouter than my 270 Win. but I have not killed anything with the WSM that the Win. would not have killed as of yet. I bought it thinking I would have an advantage shooting caribou at great distances, the longest shot in my camp was approx. 150 yds.

I need a little more help or possibly persuasion between these two. I'm taking with my smith and the gentleman I'm ordering parts from and I'm just up in the air. I can go short action or long doesn't make a difference. Narrowed it down between 2 actions and leaning heavily towards a bighorn tl3. This rifles main purpose is for my moose and bear hunting needs. I'm settled on a .277 as I've always just wanted one. 165gr matrix or 170 Berger. What's the benefits to running one over the other? What velocities are you guys getting out of these calibers? I see you can get ss brass now which is nice but it won't be as easy to get it here in Canada which I see as a bonus for the wsm. Plus more options and easier to acquire dies as well. Any help would be appreciated! Right now I'm leaning towards 270. Wsm long action build vs 270 ss short action build but open to opinions?

What type of bear hunting are you planning on hunting? If it's grizzly either cartridge ought/might to kill a grizzly, but...... I wouldn't recommend either caliber. IMHO

Last edited:
I would build on the Defiance before the Bighorn, the action geometry is better all round. Sounds like a WSM is the direction to go!

What's the reason you say the defiance is better then the bighorn? I figured for more of a hunting/tac the tl3 would of been forsure the way to go?

What type of bear hunting are you planning on hunting? If it's grizzly either cartridge ought/might to kill a grizzly, but...... I wouldn't recommend either caliber. IMHO

God no! I mean I'd love too but if I were chasing Griz I'd be carrying a much larger caliber. The main purpose for this rifle will be moose and black bear. (Even black bear is occasional/when we don't draw a moose tag). I just have a soft spot for the .277 and want to build one for that purpose.

What's the reason you say the defiance is better then the bighorn? I figured for more of a hunting/tac the tl3 would of been forsure the way to go?

God no! I mean I'd love too but if I were chasing Griz I'd be carrying a much larger caliber. The main purpose for this rifle will be moose and black bear. (Even black bear is occasional/when we don't draw a moose tag). I just have a soft spot for the .277 and want to build one for that purpose.

I understand that, I'm building a .270AI. I like the .270 Winchester, thought it would be fun to have a .270 AI.. I hunt black bear mostly with a 35 Whelen, however have shot them with my .358 Winchester as well. Good luck with your build, I believe that you cannot go wrong with either cartridge.

I understand that, I'm building a .270AI. I like the .270 Winchester, thought it would be fun to have a .270 AI.. I hunt black bear mostly with a 35 Whelen, however have shot them with my .358 Winchester as well. Good luck with your build, I believe that you cannot go wrong with either cartridge.

I wouldn't mind picking up a big bore for those close quarter stands but most of my hunting is roads and clear cuts so I don't mind the smaller .277.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.