Fast twist 270 win (270 Northerner)

I just finished a 270 Win Remington 700 Mountain Rifle build with a 1-9 PacNor 22" barrel. I am thinking I should have went a little faster with the twist. My plan is to shoot 150 ABLRs to 600-700, I think it will be fine with that combination and the slower twist should gain a little more velocity. The hammer line of bullets intrigue me, but they are so long!

I just finished a 270 Win Remington 700 Mountain Rifle build with a 1-9 PacNor 22" barrel. I am thinking I should have went a little faster with the twist. My plan is to shoot 150 ABLRs to 600-700, I think it will be fine with that combination and the slower twist should gain a little more velocity. The hammer line of bullets intrigue me, but they are so long!
With the Hammers, I'd look at shooting the lighter bullets as fast as possible and make it a shorter range laser.

The 9 twist should be able to stabilize anything that you would want to shoot from that case, even the 170 Berger.

170 EOL Link

No question here, just an update. Last winter I asked on here about doing this build. There was some good info. I was gonna do it, than my dad said he wanted it so I put one together for him. I used a 26 inch carbon six barrel with a 1/7.5 twist. We'll we finally had a chance to do some load development last weekend. All I can say is wow. I'm jealous of it. Basically a ragged hole at 100 yards with the 175 gr Sierra tgk. 2940 fps. And it's still doing half moa at 925 yards. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. I used a tikka action and factory stock, nothing fancy at all.
"FAST TWIST 270 WIN (270 NOTHERNER). Does this imply that is you have a faster twist than the factory designed barrel twist on a caliber it is called a "NORTHERNER" ?

"FAST TWIST 270 WIN (270 NOTHERNER). Does this imply that is you have a faster twist than the factory designed barrel twist on a caliber it is called a "NORTHERNER" ?
If it is I love it…..as a northerner who lived in Nee Mexico I was constantly asked at the Hospital why I was running everywhere and I replied, "I'm 5'4 and walking, why are you guys crawling everywhere." 😂

There is a lot of truth in this.
And there is nothing the 6.5 PRC does that can't be done with a 6.5-06 A-Square. I imagine you can get 2800-2850 FPS with the 156 grain bullets in the A-square with proper load development. Rather than just rush to all these new cartridges I think we just need to start getting weird with it and aggressively handloading some of those older, obscure, yet awesome cartridges to see what they can do with the proper twist rates and some elbow grease. With all the ballistics and twist rate calculators we have today we could bring some of these old cartridges back from obscurity.

Awesome! Another fast twist .270 that proves old girl still has what it takes! I built a 1:8 on 700LA that provides very long magazine COAL. As for Hammers, I am shooting 156HH at 3200, plenty of threads on it. I haven't stretched it out far enough to verify drops at beyond 500 but but it seems to be holding solid. You have .270 Northern and I have .270 Thors Hammer😂. I did add 0.290 freebore to accommodate the 156HH plus it handles 170EOL, 175TGK, 160Part and pretty much any long BC bullet. RL26 , you know, that terrible temp sensitive powder is the magic pixie dust for it. I wished I went faster than 1:8 but so far so good. Keep us posted on loads!

Last edited:
And there is nothing the 6.5 PRC does that can't be done with a 6.5-06 A-Square. I imagine you can get 2800-2850 FPS with the 156 grain bullets in the A-square with proper load development. Rather than just rush to all these new cartridges I think we just need to start getting weird with it and aggressively handloading some of those older, obscure, yet awesome cartridges to see what they can do with the proper twist rates and some elbow grease. With all the ballistics and twist rate calculators we have today we could bring some of these old cartridges back from obscurity.
I mean I run 3060 with 156s in the prc. 6.5x284 runs 2960 same bullet. I don't know that much about the a square, but there is a lot of capacity lost in all that case taper and long neck.

I mean I run 3060 with 156s in the prc. 6.5x284 runs 2960 same bullet. I don't know that much about the a square, but there is a lot of capacity lost in all that case taper and long neck.
I have seen some sites and forums over the inter web with hand loads that are right up there, basically within 100fps of the 6.5x284, the 6.5-06AI will match it and maybe push up around 3000fps. From a practical, hunting standpoint the results from any of these options are going to equal meat in the freezer. I like the 6.5-06 though because I feel it is a better option for handloading with your brass choices and if you are looking to run a switch barrel in the 30-06 family (I am currently looking into this with a Remington 700 long action receiver I have sitting in the safe collecting dust) it makes for a fun and fairly economical choice. Different strokes for different folks, but I love the idea of having pronghorn rifle that than turn into an elk or grizzly rifle with a quick barrel switch to 30-06 or 35 Whelen.

Honestly it's an inside joke, I put together a 270 wsm for a friend last year, he refers to that as his 270 westerner, he's from co. Me being from wi, seems like the northerner fits it. Just a 1-7.5 twist 270 win, 26 inch to help gain some speed

One thing I have noticed in a lot of the handloading manuals that gets my goat is that they will (what seems somewhat purposefully) manipulate the ballistics data for cartridges they are trying to promote. For example, go to the nosler load data page and look at the 6.5 PRC vs the 6.5-06 A Square. They test the 6.5 PRC out of a 26 inch barrel and run hot loads. Go to the load data for the 6.5-06 A square and they are using a 24 inch barrel and lighter powder loads. Now I get some of it could be case pressure related for the lighter loads but there is no excuse really for the shorter tube usage. I think they purposefully try to market the newer cartridges as just be "better designed, faster, more accurate and able to retain that energy better down range." I think it's smoke and mirrors to be honest to sell new rifles.

I don't need new marketing to wow me into buying a new rifle, I buy guns because….well I like buying guns. But I would love to see more companies get on board with switch barrel rigs. I am in the process right now of building two Remage switch barrel rigs: one short action on the 308 win family and a long action on the 30-06 family. You want a versatile gun that can hunt anything that's the route to go, with the short action I can have a 243 all the way up to a 358 win, with the long action I can have a 25-06 up to a 35 Whelen with some wrenches, gauges and a vise and 15 minutes. You can have different lengths and twists for the same cartridge, whatever tickles your fancy. You also have the benefit of keeping the rest of your platform comfortable and consistent (same stock, trigger, scope). Save a little space in your safe and save a lot of money on scopes so you can buy more ammo, shotguns and of course….buy more dogs….because who doesn't need more dogs?

One thing I have noticed in a lot of the handloading manuals that gets my goat is that they will (what seems somewhat purposefully) manipulate the ballistics data for cartridges they are trying to promote. For example, go to the nosler load data page and look at the 6.5 PRC vs the 6.5-06 A Square. They test the 6.5 PRC out of a 26 inch barrel and run hot loads. Go to the load data for the 6.5-06 A square and they are using a 24 inch barrel and lighter powder loads. Now I get some of it could be case pressure related for the lighter loads but there is no excuse really for the shorter tube usage. I think they purposefully try to market the newer cartridges as just be "better designed, faster, more accurate and able to retain that energy better down range." I think it's smoke and mirrors to be honest to sell new rifles.

I don't need new marketing to wow me into buying a new rifle, I buy guns because….well I like buying guns. But I would love to see more companies get on board with switch barrel rigs. I am in the process right now of building two Remage switch barrel rigs: one short action on the 308 win family and a long action on the 30-06 family. You want a versatile gun that can hunt anything that's the route to go, with the short action I can have a 243 all the way up to a 358 win, with the long action I can have a 25-06 up to a 35 Whelen with some wrenches, gauges and a vise and 15 minutes. You can have different lengths and twists for the same cartridge, whatever tickles your fancy. You also have the benefit of keeping the rest of your platform comfortable and consistent (same stock, trigger, scope). Save a little space in your safe and save a lot of money on scopes so you can buy more ammo, shotguns and of course….buy more dogs….because who doesn't need more dogs?

Yeah spot on. The 308 & 30-06 used to show a 100-150 fps difference. Now Hornady has em both running the same speed in their books. Absolutely smoke and mirrors.

Yeah spot on. The 308 & 30-06 used to show a 100-150 fps difference. Now Hornady has em both running the same speed in their books. Absolutely smoke and mirrors.
And I don't see much difference ballistically out to a few hundred yards from a 165 grain 30-06 Superformance and the 6.8 Western from an energy standpoint, they leave the barrel within 10 fps of each other. Any scope with a CDS dial is going to correct your drop at ethical hunting distances and yes there will be a more retained energy as you stretch out that distance because of the drag. But if you used a 165 grain 270 Winchester using that same propellant and a faster twist I can't imagine it would perform any different that the 6.8 Western.

The only blasphemy (for some) I am going to espouse here is on the incredibly polarizing 6.5 Creedmoor. I think it's a better version of the 260 Remington because of the way you can use longer, heavier bullets, still fit it in a short action and get basically the same velocity with less powder because it can handle higher pressures.

I like that some of the Ruger Compact Magnums can be used from shorter barrels and still get similar muzzle velocity as well. But the majority of the new cartridges in my opinion are unnecessary.

My philosophy can basically be boiled down to this: I like Dave Petzal a lot…..I don't like John Snow at all.