Fast twist 270 win (270 Northerner)

Jpron

No question here, just an update. Last winter I asked on here about doing this build. There was some good info. I was gonna do it, than my dad said he wanted it so I put one together for him. I used a 26 inch carbon six barrel with a 1/7.5 twist. We'll we finally had a chance to do some load development last weekend. All I can say is wow. I'm jealous of it. Basically a ragged hole at 100 yards with the 175 gr Sierra tgk. 2940 fps. And it's still doing half moa at 925 yards. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. I used a tikka action and factory stock, nothing fancy at all.

question here, just an update. Last winter I asked on here about doing this build. There was some good info. I was gonna do it, than my dad said he wanted it so I put one together for him. I used a 26 inch carbon six barrel with a 1/7.5 twist. We'll we finally had a chance to do some load development last weekend. All I can say is wow. I'm jealous of it. Basically a ragged hole at 100 yards with the 175 gr Sierra tgk. 2940 fps. And it's still doing half moa at 925 yards. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. I used a tikka action and factory stock, nothing fancy at all.
Is it modified 270 W?

You're really making me want to rebarrel my current .270 Win to be fast twist. Currently mine is listed as 1-10", but it must be slow because it likes bullets around 120 gr. best, and anything 130 gr. and up don't group tighter than 1.5" at 100 yards.

No question here, just an update. Last winter I asked on here about doing this build. There was some good info. I was gonna do it, than my dad said he wanted it so I put one together for him. I used a 26 inch carbon six barrel with a 1/7.5 twist. We'll we finally had a chance to do some load development last weekend. All I can say is wow. I'm jealous of it. Basically a ragged hole at 100 yards with the 175 gr Sierra tgk. 2940 fps. And it's still doing half moa at 925 yards. If anyone has questions feel free to ask. I used a tikka action and factory stock, nothing fancy at all.
I have also wanted to do a similar build on a pre64 Model 70 platform with a 24 inch barrel and either a 1-7.5 or a 1-8 twist and load it up with 160 grain bullets. There are so many cartridges out there that have disappeared simply because they weren't marketed well or the right twist wasn't used (the 350 REM Mag comes to mind as being handicapped more by barrel length and ****** marketing). I hate seeing all these new cartridges, we just need to use the old ones better. I would love to see manufacturers start loading the 6.5x55 Swede to higher pressures for modern rifles, it would easily compete with the 6.5 PRC.

I have also wanted to do a similar build on a pre64 Model 70 platform with a 24 inch barrel and either a 1-7.5 or a 1-8 twist and load it up with 160 grain bullets. There are so many cartridges out there that have disappeared simply because they weren't marketed well or the right twist wasn't used (the 350 REM Mag comes to mind as being handicapped more by barrel length and ****** marketing). I hate seeing all these new cartridges, we just need to use the old ones better. I would love to see manufacturers start loading the 6.5x55 Swede to higher pressures for modern rifles, it would easily compete with the 6.5 PRC.
There is a lot of truth in this.