Fast twist 270 Wby?

I realize that thus my mention of if you re a 270 diameter guy "I get it", just thought mentioning bullet selection was a valid point.

As you mentioned Feenix twist is only for bullet stabilization.... some would argue that more twist with the same length barrel will actually lose some velocity due to friction/pressure. Almost theoretical as hard to prove due to other variances such as barrel to barrel differences, etc.

Regardless OP will have a fine cartridge no matter which way he goes! Happy Easter to all !
I agree, but there is no need to complicate it unnecessarily.

Happy Easter to you as well. Cheers!

Ed

Been contemplating a fast twist 270 Wby with the 165gr LRAB bullet throated enough to make use of full case capacity ever since they announced the new 6.8 Western. My question is how much more velocity will one gain with this approach? Thanks in advance.
First, I don't know if you've had luck with the Accubond Long Range bullets but they shoot poor in most rifles. I've had my best luck with them by weight sorting and jumping them around 100 thou. By having more powder space you will gain a small amount of pressure headroom in most rifles. It's gonna vary but you will have a gain over having a bullet hanging down in the powder column. Berger has a good writeup about this on their site. If I were building the setup you have in mind I'd have it throated off the longest 270 bullet available. Might be the Berger 170 EOL or one of the heavy monos. If you want to shoot the monos a pretty high twist rate can be required for some if them.

Just had a 270 WEA. With 1x8.5 twist 26 " benchmark and with 170 bergers and R25 or 7828 getting just shy of 3000 and 1/2 or less groups consistently. Plenty of powder space left for more but loads are at the top according to the folks at berger bullets.

I still think the 270 Wea. is a sleeper cartridge and would be a great setup with a 7.5-8" twist tube. It will be flatter and offer more energy downrange than the WSM or 6.8 Western. I has been around for a long time with a lot of users and a broad factory ammo selection, I don't think it will ever go away. That is important to me as I don't know if my boys will ever load their own, with this setup I could load the heavies and they could shoot factories. Who knows if the 6.8 will take hold or the 27 Nos.
My nextrifle will likely be a 6.5 since I have a 300 for Elk but if I went with a 270 it would likely be the Wea.

I don't believe you would have to concern yourself with throating in the 270 Wea as the free bore in all Weatherby's are long enough to allow for all the case capacity to be used. The problem may be in your magazine length . This may restrict your OAL depending on rifle make. You would also need a faster twist than the standard 1/10 to stabalize the 165's. JMO
This, I believe is the correct answer, but I am not sure that it matters...I missed what action you are planning to use.

Anyways...with a stock 270 Wby Mark V action you can only get about 3.38" COAL to fit reliably in a stock mag box.

I am loading my 270 Wby with the 170 Bergers to 3.5" COAL (just got some blem 165 ABLMs to try). So my rounds will not fit in a stock Mark V mag box.

I am pushing the 170 Bergers to 3225fps with RL26 (ES 10 with 10 rounds). I still have plenty of room in the case for more powder. I have "heard" that I can use more RL26 to get more velocity, but I hit a nice accuracy node @ 3225fps and stopped there.

The 270 Wby runs like a .378" freebore, so you should not have to ream a stock chamber.

As another poster stated...you can run 140gr and 130gr bullets past 3550fps and 3600fps with out issues. 150gr bullets you can run them past 3400fps.

All velocities measured with a Magnetospeed chrono.

Shooting a 28" Benchmark barrel, 1-9 twist.

ETA...was able to get the 165gr Matrix bullets to .02" off the lands and heading towards 3300fps. Stopped load development when Matrix went out of business and Bullets.com was blowing out the 170 Bergers for somewhere around $38 for a box of 100 bullets...

Last edited:
So Longtooth, where did you find a load for the the 170 Grn Bergers and RL 26??? Is it published or is it your own??? How did the 170 grn Berger's shoot in your 270 Weatherby ??? Is it a 10 twist??? Regarding the 150 Grn Nosler ABLR's , can you share a load for those. I'm Trying to get between 3000 /3100 fps using H 4831SC. I'm working up from 65.0 grns and now up to 67.0 grns. ,with more room in the case. I know I can easily go to 68 grns. I had the 150 Grn ABLR seated at 3.420 COAL , and now I have some with a COAL of 3.410. Any suggestions are appreciated . Thanks ,

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.