.270 barrel with super fast -twist

Jtomlinson

I have recently had my .270 winchester re-barreled and the barrel used was one made some time back in the U.S by a person named Rick Carnes?, it is a hand cut and lapped barrel cut to .278" but rather than the usual 1-12" twist it has a fast 1:8", clearly made for a specific project.

Ther rifle is a sporter weight the contour being something in the order of a #3, all up weight scoped is around the 9 lbs mark.

Range tests to date with factory ammo in the bullet range 130 -150 grains but has not turned up and sort of grouping whatsoever, some of this may be down to a scope related problem that is to be checked out at the next range session.

My question is this, given the fast twist of this barrel, what results may I expect from normal bullet weight for .270 calibre ammo, i.e 130 -150 grains, is the fast twist liable to be a detriment or, under certain conditions could it benefit accuracy?

I hand-load for this calibre but have since the fitting of the new barrel only tried factory loaded ammo.

I would welcome any thoughts on twist rates affecting accuracy.

0.2780" is pretty loose for a 270 cal rifle to be honest. Generally with larger diameter bores, a traditional thin jacketed bullet is the most accurate because they will bump up to fill the bore better under pressure then a heavy jacketed bullet or a solid style.

That said, most thin jacketed bullets do not get along well with a fast twist barrel. Bullets such as the Ballistic Tips, Accubonds or something similiar would be my first choice with this fast twist barrel to see if you get any accuracy results at all.

You will not be in the velocity relm to really tear apart most conventional bullets so it may just be a trial and error type deal.

In all honesty, you need some heavy bullets. The problem is that the 270 Win is not really large enough for some of the real heavy pills.

I would recommend dropping Richard Graves an e-mail at [email protected]

He makes a 169.5 gr ULD RBBT that would be perfect for this rifle, that is if the large bore diameter will shoot these bullets accurately. THis is about as heavy of a bullet as I would recommend with the 270 Win but they should work very well and with a BC in the .7 range developed from actual bullet drop, they will offer ballistic potential far higher then anything else out there in the 270 cal family of bullets.

This twist is designed for heavy, long bullets, not sure why it was selected for a 270 Win but this is what I would recommend to try to get it to work.

Drop Richard an e-mail and see what he has to say.

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby

Thank you for the information, that is exactly what I needed, I have sent an e-mail to Wildcat Bullets setting out my problem and seeking supply details of the bullet you suggest.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my question

Jonathan Tomlinson

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.