270 fast twist rebarrel

Jpron

So I'm already getting winter stir crazy. Thinking about a couple different rifles I want to put together. One is a 270 with 1-8 twist barrel probably 26 inch. I'd ream the throat. Looking at the hammer hunter 156gr or nosler 150 ablr. Deer and elk at longer ranges, maybe up to 750 yards. Tell me why I should or shouldn't do this. I have the dies and plenty of brass. That's kinda why I'm thinking this route.

We have put together two 8 twist .270 Shermans, one is a 25" and the other is a suppressed 19", they work pretty well, and we have taken a couple elk with them. We have used the 170 Berger EOL, the 140 Badlands Super Bulldozer, and the 126 Cayuga. The 140 SBD is quite impressive ballistically with a .333 G7 bc and the speeds you can get the 140 scootin, it actually outperforms the Berger 170 in external ballistics (less drop, less wind, the same or more energy at range, and more retained velocity). We also used it to kill an elk, a deer, and several pronghorn very well this year. In the 19" barrel, we were running it at a mild 3030 fps, in a standard .270 with a 24" or so, you should be able to get a fair bit more than that, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk out to 750 at those speeds.

If you want to run the 156 Hammer, talk to Steve, it may be worth it to go with a 7.5 twist to ensure stability, especially if you go with a button rifled barrel. It isn't uncommon for button rifled barrels to be off on their twist by half an inch at times, sometimes more. Also a 7.5 twist shouldn't negatively impact the use of a 150 ABLR, or you could run the 165 ABLR without a second thought.

We have put together two 8 twist .270 Shermans, one is a 25" and the other is a suppressed 19", they work pretty well, and we have taken a couple elk with them. We have used the 170 Berger EOL, the 140 Badlands Super Bulldozer, and the 126 Cayuga. The 140 SBD is quite impressive ballistically with a .333 G7 bc and the speeds you can get the 140 scootin, it actually outperforms the Berger 170 in external ballistics (less drop, less wind, the same or more energy at range, and more retained velocity). We also used it to kill an elk, a deer, and several pronghorn very well this year. In the 19" barrel, we were running it at a mild 3030 fps, in a standard .270 with a 24" or so, you should be able to get a fair bit more than that, and I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk out to 750 at those speeds.

If you want to run the 156 Hammer, talk to Steve, it may be worth it to go with a 7.5 twist to ensure stability, especially if you go with a button rifled barrel. It isn't uncommon for button rifled barrels to be off on their twist by half an inch at times, sometimes more. Also a 7.5 twist shouldn't negatively impact the use of a 150 ABLR, or you could run the 165 ABLR without a second thought.
I've been thinking the same thing . I have a few standard bolt faced guns I.ve kept around for doing something like this I'm thinking a 270 rpm. With a hart 1.in 8 twist. I'm thinking of the 140 SBD. And also just picked up a bunch of 145 eld -x's ( Because they were there)!! So why not. Lot of poop for a standard bolt face. Wondering how fast you could get the 126 cayuga going.

I've been thinking the same thing . I have a few standard bolt faced guns I.ve kept around for doing something like this I'm thinking a 270 rpm. With a hart 1.in 8 twist. I'm thinking of the 140 SBD. And also just picked up a bunch of 145 eld -x's ( Because they were there)!! So why not. Lot of poop for a standard bolt face. Wondering how fast you could get the 126 cayuga going.
In the .270 Sherman with a 25", we have the Cayuga's running 3425 fps.

You might have a bit of a challenge getting the brass unless you have secured them already.
In the .270 Sherman with a 25", we have the Cayuga's running 3425 fps.
Good to know, my .270 AI has 30" 1:8".

@Muddyboots built a 8 twist 270 win if you haven't run across it mentioned.

I rebarreled my tikka to a 24" 1-7 twist in 270 win. It's currently short throated but I'm running the 139gr absolute hammers around 3140fps. It worked impressively well on pronghorn and whitetail this fall.

I wouldn't hesitate to use it on elk.
Did you change out the bottom metal? Tikka is the direction I'm thinking

I have long barrel 270's and 270AI. My advice is the AI if you intend to just shoot heavies. The extra powder capacity give some flexibility in powder choices in this day and age of shortages. I have 29 inch barrels and it's just free velocity when you are using 160 - 190 Gr .277 with retumbo, r-25, r-26, and mag pro

Did you change out the bottom metal? Tikka is the direction I'm thinking

Negative. The factory bottom metal is definitely a limit at around 3.3-3.4" COAL. Going to AICS can get to 3.5ish COAL or even 3.6 with win mag AICS magazines (those can have feeding challenges though without modding the receiver).

A true long action is your best bet if wanting to load heavies long in 270 win/ai.