.270 WSM v .300WSM

Remingtonman_25_06,

Dunno what dilemma you might be facing. I had, briefly, a Win. 70 Coyote in 270 WSM. With factory loads at 100 yds it did about 1.5. I think a lot of it had to do with the crap Simmons scope that a buddy had put on it. I really think that if they'll shoot, the 270 WSM is an honest innovation, crossing the boundaries of several commercial calibers where none other have.

Good luck!

I have a 270 WSM, it's a Kimber 8400. My best results are with 63.3 grains of H4831 with Hornady's 140 SST. I have been getting .4 to .6 groups. I have used the Wilson resizing dies (which resizes only half of the neck) and the Redding Resizing dies (which I adjusted to resize the full length of the neck). This rifle seems to like the full length of the neck resized. I use the .307 bushing. It also seems to do better with Federal brass. The groups do get a little larger when I full length resize. And that is just bumping the shoulder .001 and resizing the full length of the neck.
COBrad: I think you'll be happy with the Kimber. Great rifle.
Good Luck.

Uhh, on average Savages are some of the, if not the most accurate, factory rifles under a grand. Sorry yours isnt. But one BIG thing is to free float the barrel. Crappy, flimsy, stocks that are on them will warp and make contact. So make sure you take out enough matieral.
smile.gif

Sorry, but I must defend the good name of Savage Arms. I own a Savage Model 12FVSS in 270 WSM with Accutrigger, and the first 3 shot group I ever attempted with it after barrel break in went 5/8". I haven't had to touch a single thing on this rifle - trigger is awesome, pillar bedded, free floated, etc. I shoot 140 gr. Accubonds at 3,340 fps under 1/2" At 100 yards, 3/4" at 200 and 1 1/2" at 300 yards (73.2 gr Magpro WLRM primer Winchester Brass 140 gr. Nosler Accubond COL 2.889 - touching the lands).

This is by far the best shooting rifle I've ever owned. It just happens to also be the best value.

I guess it's possible that I just got lucky, but I've got a friend that got lucky with a Model 11 too.

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would be willing to bet that Savage Arms would work with you on either replacing the rifle or fixing it.

I've heard exceptionally good things about the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless and Kimber 8400.

I know how frustrating it is when you lose confidence and hope in a rifle. I had a similar experience with a Ruger and would never buy another one even though I have 3 friends that lover their Rugers....

The rifle I ordered still hasn't shipped from Kimber
confused.gif
I called them yesterday thinking maybe the 100 they were building in 270WSM were gone. They assured me it was just an inventory error when I placed the order, and one of these french walnut stocked beauties should be headed my way in about 10 days. I guess it'll get here when it gets here.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.