270 WSM, close range?

cecztayl

Hey guys,
What would be your bullet suggestion for 50yd up to 600yd for the 270 wsm?
From searching the 140 AB seems to be a favorite in this cartridge. Is this the "do-all" projectile I'm looking for?

What about the 150 SST? Too explosive for close range work?

The rifle I will be loading these in is a Tikka laminate stainless.

My reason for asking is because 90% of the time most of my shots will be less than 75 yards. So I guess most of the focus for the question is the really close range work.

My favorite is the 140 Nosler Accubond. Other bonded bullets will also work well. Many like the Bergers but I have not shot game with them.

Thanks Shortmagman. The more I search, the more I see the 140 AB mentioned. I would assume it being a bonded bullet that it would have the anchoring, shoulder shot, ability I'm looking for on these close range opportunities.

I have quite a bit of experience with the berger bullets in the 2700fps muzzle velocity neighborhood and I'm a fan. However, I'm a little leary of the close range effectiveness at the higher velocities with the 270 wsm.

The 270 WSM is very similar to the 7 WSM. Actual bullet diameter is only
.007" smaller, if you think about it. It's surprising that both were developed.

As to the question: I have been shooting a 7 WSM for quite a few years and have taken a load of whitetails with it. Of all the bullets that I've used, none have been more reliable than the 160gr Accubond. Pass-throughs with impressive terminal effect are the norm despite the range. I've taken deer from 50yds to 500yds and have been very impressed with the results.

Thank you! I believe I'll have to try some of the 140 AB.
What about the 150 sst? I have some of these on hand. Anybody have any experience with the 150 sst at close range?

I'd look at the 150 grain Nosler Partition also for close up work especially on elk. Don't think you could go wrong on either 140 accubond or 150 Partition as long as it is a bonded bullet at that close range.

you could run our 117g Hammer Hunter at near 3400fps and be effective out to 500y and in as close as you want with no trouble. We have had quite a bit of game taken with that bullet this fall. One very nice 6pt bull in the Missouri Breaks in MT at 550y from a 270wsm. One shot bull dropped to the shot. A bit of a different way of thinking since this bullet is quite a bit lighter but the added vel along with a very tough bullet give very good terminal performance.

Maybe he will chime in and give his experience.

Steve

When I first started shooting Bergers I was shooting 140 Accubonds and 140 Bergers, shot a good number of elk from inside 100 to 600 ish, haven't put another Accubond in a 270 WSM, I ran the 140 Berger at 3300 fps and the Accubond at 3350.

Thanks for the replies guys! I should have mentioned that whitetail is what will be taken.
RockyMtn, I've seen the hammer bullets mentioned several times I will give them a look.
Big, that's interesting. I've had quite a bit of success with Berger's. Maybe I should not over look them for this application as well....

The 170 Berger would be a hammer in the WSM if your barrel will stabilize it.
I choose hunting bullets by SD not construction. Construction methods can fail. SD is just physics.
High SD = penetration. J4 jacket = expansion. Berger = High BC
High BC = hits. Hits + Expansion and penetration = DEAD.

For whitetails I would definitely shoot the 140 Berger in a factory twist barrel, I've dug 140 Accubonds up out of the dirt that were barely open after smoking through a big mule deer in the 400 yard range, they work better on elk than deer IMO, the only bullet I've shot better in a 270 WSM was the 165 Matrix but it's no longer available and unless you have a fast twist barrel the 170 Berger is proving most excellent, watched three whitetail and two elk get shut down with the 170 and I'm pleased with them.

Ah, yes I can see a 1:8 twist barrel in the future for this rifle in mind of the 170 berger! I just don't think the factory 1:10 would quite be enough to stabilize it.

Great choice in the 270wsm one of my go to cartridges. I have experience with the accubonds 130,140 and 150lr and 117,126 hammer hunters. Any of these and all others on this post are up to your task. But I will say that the 117 hammer hunter is a very impressive projectile. So far the 117 will do everything the 140 accubond will do to 550 yards. And at close range it is hard to find a lead fill bullet to compete with a mono a partition will come close. I took a 160in mule deer at 350 that was quartering the bullet broke the ball joint on the scapula and two ribs passing through the diaphragm and stoping in the hide past the liver taking the heart lungs and liver. The bull at 550 was high in the lungs just behind the scapula and was a pass through bull dropped upon impact. When I was butchering the bull I found where a petal had broken off and passed through the back strap and I assume into the spine causing the dramatic kill. Try some you will like them the are a little spendy but are still the cheapest part of your hunting gear. They are easy to load for kinda like a sierra but in my experience they like to be pushed hard.

When I was shooting a 270WSM I took a number of deer at ranges of 50-500 yards using 140gr Hornady SSTs. Driven at 3100FPS most all were DRT and good penetration. The big mulie pictured in my avatar was taken with this load about 10 years ago with my Winchester Model 70 Suoergrade.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.