270 WSM, close range?

We also like the SST's the best for whitetails. For Muley's and elk I like the 160 gr. Partitions for close shots under 200 yards. The Bergers and Matrix we use for 200 yards and farther. This past season I accidentally grabbed a 165 gr. Matrix on a followup shot that was 35 yards on a muley buck. The pictures following are the results. I shot the buck quartering away after jumping him in brush and timber having thought the first shot had dumped him. (single feed). Anyhow I hit him mid rib. The skin pic is the hide turned inside-out at the point of impact. Needless to say he took the shot and I hit him with the next shot in the neck with a 160 gr. partition.

Attachments

• IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0117.jpg
    IMG_0117.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 122
Wonder what happened there, we've shot a lot mule deer and white tail every way but perfectly length wise and have yet to not have a 165 Matrix exit on deer, elk we have caught them in but always under the hide and up close.

Yeah, I wonder too. It was weird for sure and just a little on the rattle your thoughts at that moment. I saw the impact and just could not believe he was still on his feet. There was zero penetration into the vitals, it was if the bullet vaporized! Lucky for me I had another shot opportunity at about 75 yards as he was slowed pretty well. Anyways, interesting to say the least.

Wow carpetman! Very interesting. Could he have been quartered more than you thought and it only grazed him? Or maybe hit a limb before making it to the buck? BTW looks like a nice buck. Any other pics?

He may have been quartering more than I remember, but I actually ran to the side about 20 yards because all he was giving me as he went down the draw was a behind. As for pics that is all of the wounds. But here is what he looked like on the ground.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 122
I've been using the 130g barnes TTSX. Shot my california mule deer this year at 80 yards in the chest he was running dead found him 80 yards down hill. I have also used in on antelope with excellent results. I'm using reloder 26 velocity is just above 3400fps. I couldn't get the barnes 129gLRX to produce velocity above 3150 without groups opening up and pressure issues.

Thread is a couple of years old but I'll chime in anyway.

Gonna run 117 Hammers in the 270 WSM. 66 grains of Hybrid 100v for right at 3500 FPS MV.

Back up gun will be a 375 AM pushing Hammer 370s or 395s or 403 all at at least 3020 FPS MV. Kinda over gunned for muley but want to see how they work..,.

Thread is a couple of years old but I'll chime in anyway.

Gonna run 117 Hammers in the 270 WSM. 66 grains of Hybrid 100v for right at 3500 FPS MV.

Back up gun will be a 375 AM pushing Hammer 370s or 395s or 403 all at at least 3020 FPS MV. Kinda over gunned for muley but want to see how they work..,.
Hey Roy,

That little 117g Hammer Hunter has been a very successful bullet. It took a large bull elk last year in the Missouri Breaks at just under 600y from a 270wsm. Bull dropped on the shot.

I slipped a couple of extra .375's in your last order. Pretty excited about the 370g Hammer Hunter, great vel to bc ratio. The 403g Hammer Hunter should fix the problem that we had with the 394g not stabilizing in your 10" twist.

Figured you didn't have anything better to do than try out some more new bullets. :rolleyes:

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.