270 W life expectative.

Moose1

I want to buy a Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 270 W or 270 Wsm for hunting and long range shooting.Many peoples tell me that the barrell will be eroded in less that 500 shots.
I intend to hunt from coyotes to moose.I don't want a big caliber rifle cause I have a pacemaker and would like to enjoy the rifle long enought.Would a 308 be more suitable?
Suggestions will be appreciated
Moose1

Last edited:
I want to buy a Weatherby Vanguard 2 in 270 W or 270 Wsm for hunting and long range shooting. Many peoples tell me that the barrell will be eroded in less that 500 shots.
I intend to hunt from coyotes to moose.I don't want a big caliber rifle cause I have a pacemaker and would like to enjoy the rifle long enought.Would a 308 be more suitable?
Suggestions will be appreciated
Moose1

I think you need to find new peoples. :D

The life of a 270 Winchester barrel is "almost indefinite" and while the 270 WSM isn't as long you can surely get 1500+ rounds out of it if you take care not to heat it up. If you want a 270 Win or 270 WSM, then get one. My 270 Vanguard is supremely accurate and a wonderful rifle.

Yep, new friends are in order......:)

It took me nearly 35 years to shoot out a 270 Win barrel. All loads were hot. For several years during the jack rabbit explosion, 500 rounds a month were normal for several months and several years. Accuracy came unglued way north of 4000.

maybe not new friends, but your friends need to educate themselves before giving you advise. Maybe they meant 5000 rounds, that sounds more like it....at least for the 270 win. The WSm might be a little less but not enough to worry about it

Haven't worn out a 270 Win barrel so I wouldn't have a good guess but I go through a 270 WSM barrel a year, I don't smoke it but I don't exactly baby it either and I get 1200 ish rounds of premium accuracy and velocity then the velocity starts dieing and the accuracy starts getting finicky and by 1500 rounds they will only shoot the Ballistic tips or similar uninteresting bullets but about 250fps slower than it should.

I`m encouraged by the comment on long life for the .270 Win, I pick up a new "Vanguard2" in a week or so. I`ll be looking for accuracy at the lowest powder loads. I think if you can`t range your target and hold over -- give it up, take up bowls.

I love(ed) my 270 win. Lately however, I've been really wanting to re-barrel it to a 280ai, so I've been trying to burn out the barrel just so I could justify to myself the re-barrel.

I'm at about 2000 rounds, and have been using max charges of H4831 and RL22. That barrel is just as accurate as the day it was born.

I decided life was too short, so I'm re-barrleing anyway. :D I've been shooting the 270 for about 10 years or so...

When they told you the barrel wouldn't last, they might have meant the rifle rather than the caliber. I haven't heard anything for a long time, but in the late 90s Vanguards didn't have the best reputation for barrels. May have been a fluke, but a friend of mine did have barrel issues in a 300 win vanguard. As for the caliber, I have never heard of any barrel issues with the 270.

Thanks for the comment. The Vanguard 2, today coming with a MOA. warranty should put it on a par with Tikka by Sako, maybe not in quality but I`m looking at performance. The first thing is to find what brand of projectiles it likes. My other half has a Tikka light s/s walnut .223/8" that loves Sierra 55gn, I have some 75gn"V" I`ve yet to try. However, I have in Tikka Varmint s/s in 6.5x55 & Tikka light, blue, walnut in .308. Both absolutely love Sierra .5MOA, - Rem Core Lokt, Speer etc. they shotgun!? Hence my interest in what the coming Vanguard 2 will like.
Thanks, Alec

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts