Ole 270 comes back to life!

The old 270 win has never been dead just overlooked a bit. It is a great round and one time #2 only to the 30/06 in sales. I am a 280 remingtn fan love it but had I started with the 270 win I am sure I would have the same mounts on my wall..

I'm 71 now, and I would not consider hunting Whitetail Deer with any other Rifle , Caliber combination. I have only taken 8 deer in the past 12 years , and all but one were taken quickly and cleanly with just one shot from my Weatherby Ultralight , in 270 Win. Just one needed a second shot , because in my excitement , I ran to see the deer I had just shot , and it tried to get up. ( Yes Boys , Stupid on my part, no question. ) I am completely satisfied with the results of the 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tip, at 3050 fps. Sure ,I own really nice rifles chambered in 30-06 ;308 ;270 Weatherby Mag( Roy's First Magnum load 1948 -1950) and 300 Weatherby Mag , but that handy little "Ultralight" , in that caliber, with that load, is just fine for me. Not saying other calibers are not good, or even great, just sayin some times you find exactly what you wanted ,it works so well , and your totally happy with it. This November, I will Hunt with an outfitter in Kentucky, as well as my usual hunt in West Virginia. I have removed the Leupold 2.5 x to 8 x Vari X 3 , and replaced it with a 4.5 x to 14 x 30mm tube Leupold Vari X 3. I am expecting to take longer shots, and I will be 72 next month, so I think a bit more scope may be helpful to me. Enjoy shooting your 270's gentlemen, Jack would be very pleased he has influenced so many of us.

Attachments

• IMG_2567Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win  Stocked just dipped  to make it snow Camo.JPG
    IMG_2567Weatherby Ultralight in 270 Win Stocked just dipped to make it snow Camo.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_2721 (1) Weatherby Ultralight with New leupold 4.5 to 14 mm  scope.JPG
    IMG_2721 (1) Weatherby Ultralight with New leupold 4.5 to 14 mm scope.JPG
    986.5 KB · Views: 93
I'm 71 now, and I would not consider hunting Whitetail Deer with any other Rifle , Caliber combination. I have only taken 8 deer in the past 12 years , and all but one were taken quickly and cleanly with just one shot from my Weatherby Ultralight , in 270 Win. Just one needed a second shot , because in my excitement , I ran to see the deer I had just shot , and it tried to get up. ( Yes Boys , Stupid on my part, no question. ) I am completely satisfied with the results of the 130 Grn Nosler Ballistic tip, at 3050 fps. Sure ,I own really nice rifles chambered in 30-06 ;308 ;270 Weatherby Mag( Roy's First Magnum load 1948 -1950) and 300 Weatherby Mag , but that handy little "Ultralight" , in that caliber, with that load, is just fine for me. Not saying other calibers are not good, or even great, just sayin some times you find exactly what you wanted ,it works so well , and your totally happy with it. This November, I will Hunt with an outfitter in Kentucky, as well as my usual hunt in West Virginia. I have removed the Leupold 2.5 x to 8 x Vari X 3 , and replaced it with a 4.5 x to 14 x 30mm tube Leupold Vari X 3. I am expecting to take longer shots, and I will be 72 next month, so I think a bit more scope may be helpful to me. Enjoy shooting your 270's gentlemen, Jack would be very pleased he has influenced so many of us.
Very nice. Love the stock.

Thank You Buddy. Hydro Dipped in Snow Cammo. My Taxidermist had deer skull done that way and I liked it. Next door to him was the Hydro Dipping Guy. One week, and $150.00 bucks later, its all done.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.