Ole 270 comes back to life!

dxlbaile

First rifle I got at 17 was a Ruger M-77. 270 shot the barrel out after 10 years and it sat in the safe. Decided to bring it back to life this year.
I took the old Barrel off and sent the action up to Mcgowen to have a 1:8 twist barrel put on with the 170 Berger in mind.
I wanted to be able to shoot everything including elk with no reserve. After 30 rounds of break in it is hammering.
Reg reamer with no freebore. Win brass, fed 210 primer, mag pro hunter powder 60.5 gr. .015 off the lands. 2900FPS.
The ole girl is back to life. My only regret is not doing my homework a little better to get some freebore. It is seated pretty deep but, it shoots.
No need to get all new components and make a 280 AI. Just get some 170 Bergers and light it up😉.
0DCDD04C-B861-4329-82D0-7E92ECCF1E73.jpeg
06445640-F435-4236-A27A-86894875B53F.jpeg
06445640-F435-4236-A27A-86894875B53F.jpeg

Last edited:
First rifle I got at 17 was a Ruger M-77. 270 shot the barrel out after 10 years and it sat in the safe. Decided to bring it back to life this year.
I took the old Barrel off and sent the action up to Mcgowen to have a 1:8 twist barrel put on with the 170 Berger in mind.
I wanted to be able to shoot everything including elk with no reserve. After 30 rounds of break in it is hammering.
Reg reamer with no freebore. Win brass, fed 210 primer, mag pro hunter powder 60.5 gr. .015 off the lands. 3000 FPS.
The ole girl is back to life. My only regret is not doing my homework a little better to get some freebore. It is seated pretty deep but, it shoots.
No need to get all new components and make a 280 AI. Just get some 170 Bergers and light it up😉.

WTG! Congrats on a new shooter. I have a .270 AI propelling the 175 Matrix at 2993 FPS with 58 H4831 SC but I agree with you, your set-up with the good ole JOC .270 Win with 170s is no slouch. Happy safe hunting/shooting.

Reg reamer with no freebore. Win brass, fed 210 primer, mag pro hunter powder 60.5 gr. .015 off the lands. 3000 FPS.
View attachment 209439View attachment 209440View attachment 209440
Beautiful Rig and very nice trigger work, Love me some 270's and the Ruger is one of my all time favorites

The .270 is a great caliber. Like the way you did yours up. My first real rifle was also a .270. Always liked their speed versus the .308's etc. With a little faster twist barrel like you had put on so you can shoot the heavy for caliber bullets, you got a great gun there. The targets prove it!!

The .270 is a great caliber. Like the way you did yours up. My first real rifle was also a .270. Always liked their speed versus the .308's etc. With a little faster twist barrel like you had put on so you can shoot the heavy for caliber bullets, you got a great gun there. The targets prove it!!
I tried really hard to talk myself into just ditching the gun but, It has a lot of sentimental value. Now she shoots as good as some of my customs.. Hate to admit that but it's true.

Shane, I got a 24 inch barrel for a hunting rig.. I changed the trigger for a timney and skim bedded .. I just wish i would have freebored to get the bullet up to the neck junction...

Good shooting and nice choice. Its nice to see "old" things obtain new life, and a 170 Berger @ 3,000fps is a nice load.

Agreed! In my opinion and for more room, it would have been better. I have a couple of 270Wins with a little freebore that allows me to seat the bullets out and use more of the case's powder capacity. The same with a couple of 30-06's.

Years ago, I played with a 270 Gibbs, and I really enjoyed that rifle and cartridge. For the bullets of the day, I only used a 1/10 twist, but it was a fast and tight shooter. Before I grow too much older, I would like to build another 270 Gibbs with an 8 twist, but given the performance of modern powders and for simplicity, I may just settle for a fast twist, long throated 26" 270W or AI version.

I thought about doing a lot of things, and the AI was on the short list.. In the end 170 grain at good speed just fit the bill.. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the 170 shot.. I need to put a better scope on it so I can stretch it out a bit further. Its an ole 10 power leupold and my eyes need a little more than that, to ge me out to 600 and beyond.

I thought about doing a lot of things, and the AI was on the short list.. In the end 170 grain at good speed just fit the bill.. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the 170 shot.. I need to put a better scope on it so I can stretch it out a bit further. Its an ole 10 power leupold and my eyes need a little more than that, to ge me out to 600 and beyond.
We shot fixed 10's a long ways out for a long time back in the day , Let her eat

View attachment 209439View attachment 209440View attachment 209440
Love the new update (8twist). Excellent groups and exceptional velocity considering you have zero freebore. Seems like you'd lose so much case capacity that velocity would suffer tremendously. Doesn't seem so in your case. Are you sure it's not just the Saami spec reamer ? They offer freebore but nothing compatible for full benefit of the 170 EOL. Obviously plenty for 3000 fps and excellent groups. Congrats on a great rifle

PERFECT! The laminate stock looks great witht he SS barrel! Now I have a good blueprint for my .270 Win build as well. I was leaning toward a 26" to gain just a little more juice and good info on the 170 Berger as well. Do you have enough free bore for the Hammer 156 or 168 HH?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.