Ole 270 comes back to life!

Hi guys , I also Need a Load For 270 Win with a 170 Grn Berger! I have a Heavy Hart Bbl 29 Inch ! With an 8 twist ! Happy to get Any Load advice !!

Can I ask what you spent on a new barrel was thinking of bringing my .270 back to life
Thanks bought it back in the mid 80s. Its a Klingunther I use to be able to hit a dime at 100 yards now its more like a 1 inch group so its just been gathering dust in the safe I did pull it out to go antelope hunting a few years back still works just would not use it for anything over 300

Attachments

• 20181011_173706.jpg
    20181011_173706.jpg
    657.2 KB · Views: 126
Thanks bought it back in the mid 80s. Its a Klingunther I use to be able to hit a dime at 100 yards now its more like a 1 inch group so its just been gathering dust in the safe I did pull it out to go antelope hunting a few years back still works just would not use it for anything over 300
That's a killer stock.. gotta lov it.

Thanks! It was one of those antelope hunts that turned into a coyote hunt. A small pack was hunting the same herd I was going after and this yote was sitting near their den looking at me at 528 yards when I sent the 175 Matrix VLD.

The only antelope hunts I've been on that didn't turn into coyote hunts were the ones that turned into prairie dog hunts. Does anybody anywhere just go hunt antelope, and let it go at that ???

Nope not going to mess with it now but, if I was to start from scratch I would do some freebore.. It is my first Mcgowan and I can't say I'm disappointed at all.. They are one of the companies that will still barrel the ole M-77.
I had a gunsmith put an E. R. Shaw barrel on my Remington in 35 Whelen, and it shoots very well, indeed. I have a couple of rifles with their barrels and they are good shooters. They will also install and chamber the barrel to your action, and they will work with any of the M77 variants. A short or long chambered Shaw contour barrel in any of their contours is $195 in 4140 steel and $290 for Stainless. I got a Remington No. 2 Contour with a 1 in 14 twist, 26 inches long and it cost $220. William Trotter barreled the action, trued the bolt and matched the chamber to my other Whelen, so they will shoot the same reloads and the brass matches from the rifles to 0.001 inch. I'm still thinking of having both rifles Ackley Improved just for the longer brass life that results, though with a muzzle brake, I might also like the extra 75 to 125fps it would give me. I'll have to chronograph my Shaw barrel first, though. We also put it in a Magpul stock and mounted a Shepherd P2 3x10 scope on it with Leupold rings, and I bought it used with a Timney trigger in it. It kicks, but it shoots Speer 250's into around 0.8 inches, edge to edge. Basically ragged holes. Its even better with the Gameking 225 grain bullets. Not a barn burner, but it hits with real authority. Shaw retooled a few years ago, and they make pretty good barrels now.

You might think of taking a thread or two off and rechambering it.

Antelope stands for " All Purpose Hunt. " Don't think we have ever went without at least one coyote opportunity, or critters poking their heads out of holes that need a dirt nap..
I chase antelope here in Colorado, and where they are so are the prairie dogs and coyotes. They're good practice, though.

The fact that the .270 is 95 years old and still relevant says a lot. Newer cartridges have stolen the limelight for a "few days" but what's old is new again, eventually. The ole girls stands the test of time and is still the standard by which other cartridges are measured.
Just imagine if we had never had a .270 Winchester, and it came out the same time the 6.5CM did. I think Hornady would be playing second fiddle to Winchester. Or, if they had both come out in 1925 I wonder would the CM still be around? Especially with the propellants and bullets of those days. No internet! No ballistic apps, rangefinders, YICKS!
I guess things happen for a reason, as they say. I'm not taking anything away from the Creedmoor, it's a neat round that has definitely filled a niche and gotten a whole lot of people interested in shooting and hunting. I don't have one but I did trade in to a .270 Winchester in a Savage 114 American Classic last year. This is a very "likeable" rifle with a nice feel and it is crazy accurate with all three bullets I've reloaded for it. I won a Leupold 3X9 Freedom at a NRA event and it sets perfectly up there and fits my cheek and eye like it was custom made for me. It's the first "light" rifle I've owned in years and makes me periodically ponder why I tote those fence post, heavy, long barreled rifles. I'm getting old, I reckon.
The little Savage has found a home and the .270 has come back around for me. It's what I started out with years ago, both deer hunting and LR target shooting. I'm going to explore the swamp behind my house this deer season with it and my new XDM 10mm. Between the two, something's gonna bleed.
For those huge crop fields, I have my .270 Allen Magnum pushing the 170gn EOL Bergers and/or 169.5gn RBBT/ULD Wildcats at 3500ish fps. Truly a magnificent machine.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.