Ole 270 comes back to life!

Just plain ole spec reamer! It is working fine but, I would like some freebore. I like my bullets at the neck junction. Just things to consider if you want to try the heavy bullets in a 270. It's not a compressed load with the Ramshot mag.
Getting more freebore would be as simple as having your smith run a throating reamer into set up a new freebore depth.

Hi guys , I also Need a Load For 270 Win with a 170 Grn Berger! I have a Heavy Hart Bbl 29 Inch ! With an 8 twist ! Happy to get Any Load advice !!
My load for 270 Bergers is WLR primers, 57.3 gr RL26 3.484 COL. gets me 2,930 fps from a 26" McGowen Precison barrel. This is about 15 thousandth of the lands. As always start low and work up.

Congrats on your beautiful rifle. I too put a McGowen prefit 280 barrel on a remington 700 donor action that was actually a 280 & 7mm Express marked barrel, but I could not get it to shoot worth a hoot....so, I ordered the McGowen barrel in a 23 inch length to be different and had a local gunsmith screw it on the action and set the headspace. Did not blueprint or true the action. I had a custom maple stock made and had it full length bedded. Put in a timney trigger. First group that I shot with it after sight in was some Nosler 140 grain Accubond hand loads. The group looked pretty much like yours....half inch. No barrel break in, just sat down and shot it. I think McGowen has had some ups and downs over the years, but I would not hesitate having them make me another prefit barrel. I love that rifle!

just this spring I took my old savage 110 .270 and made it into a shorter barreled 6.5-06. Love to keep on shooting the gun I grew up with. Sure I could have pawned it off and bought a new creedmoor or something, but I was able to neck down all my old brass and keep on blasting.

Guys for the record I just realized I made a mistake here.. I was shooting 3 different rifles and My 33 nosler velocity was 3000.. Looking in my Labradar the velocity was 2900 fps on the 270.. Between the 270, 33 nos, 6.5 x 47 lapua i got that a little screwed up.. Just wanted to clarify so you don't wonder why you aren't getting 3000.. sorry for the confusion ... I must be getting old.. just turned 50 and I am losing my beans... NOt a good sign! Maybe with a 26 barrel and some R 26 you would get there.. Anyway I appologize for the mis post on velocity.. Don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction...2900 is still great for a 170. I can see I need to stick to one gun at a time..
Haha, get in line with rest of us! I bet you still get close with RL26 and longer barrel which is what I was going to do anyway. I am looking for another old 110C flat top for this project since I decided not to tear apart my first rifle I ever bought. I just couldn't make that decision stick in my mind. I've had it for 52 years and it is so much part of me it would kind of "hurt" to tear it down for a build when i just need to find another rifle. Oh darn, get another rifle😂:eek:

Wow I love that stock. The whole setup actually. I'm thinking maybe rather then waiting to shoot out this 20" barrel (on this new savage axis II Overwatch) and using up a bunch of hard to get supplies, I'll do what you have done. I'm thinking a 26" fluted barrel as it'll be a LRH rifle exclusively.
Thought I'd reply to my own post to clarify something. If I choose not to make changes to this rifle it will be my "Black Bear Exclusive" rifle Not a LRH rifle (BEYOND 600M). I'll likely be shooting the Barnes 110 TTSX BT/Fed Mag Pri (215M)/StaBall 6.5 powder ~58.3gr/Norma Brass (crimped). According to my LabRadar muzzle velocity will be ~3425 FPS.

I watch my cousins kill deer for over 25 years with 270. Very little blood shot with the 130 gr Sierra SPBT. Those deer were hit every different way too. What you built should do the job on about anything you want to shot.
SSS

First rifle I got at 17 was a Ruger M-77. 270 shot the barrel out after 10 years and it sat in the safe. Decided to bring it back to life this year.
I took the old Barrel off and sent the action up to Mcgowen to have a 1:8 twist barrel put on with the 170 Berger in mind.
I wanted to be able to shoot everything including elk with no reserve. After 30 rounds of break in it is hammering.
Reg reamer with no freebore. Win brass, fed 210 primer, mag pro hunter powder 60.5 gr. .015 off the lands. 2900FPS.
The ole girl is back to life. My only regret is not doing my homework a little better to get some freebore. It is seated pretty deep but, it shoots.
No need to get all new components and make a 280 AI. Just get some 170 Bergers and light it up😉.
View attachment 209439View attachment 209440View attachment 209440
1 minute of small fly

Shane, I got a 24 inch barrel for a hunting rig.. I changed the trigger for a timney and skim bedded .. I just wish i would have freebored to get the bullet up to the neck junction...
I believe you could rent a adjustable thraot reamer. But the way it shoots I'd leave it alone and enjoy. Awesome rifle!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.