Ole 270 comes back to life!

I tried really hard to talk myself into just ditching the gun but, It has a lot of sentimental value. Now she shoots as good as some of my customs.. Hate to admit that but it's true.
A Ruger M77 action and a McGowan barrel should shoot like a custom rifle. They make great barrels and the action is about as good as it gets. You could always have a smith add a little freebore, but with it shooting like it is, I'd not mess with it.

Nope not going to mess with it now but, if I was to start from scratch I would do some freebore.. It is my first Mcgowan and I can't say I'm disappointed at all.. They are one of the companies that will still barrel the ole M-77.

It's easy for a rifle builder to add some free bore if you've got some extra room in the mag box. If you really want to. All you need to do is make a dummy round at the coal you want to run and they will do the rest.

If you want to shoot 168gn Hammer Hunters you may want a 7" twist. But an 8" twist if plenty for the 156grain Hammer Hunter. And for the record, the new monolithic bullets do not need as much weight as lead bullets.

So unless you're planning to shoot a cape buffalo with your 270, an 8" twist and 156gn monolithic bullet will be plenty. Those flying petals and deep penetrating flat cylinders are a new technology.

How long were you able to seat them. I did this with a Rem 700 and .0015 of the lands let me load at a coal of 3.484. Mine is a 26" McGowen Precision Remage no muzzle break though as it is a Sendero Profile so it weighs in at 12.4 lbs. Magpul 700 Hunter Stock. I can get 2,930 to 2,940 or so with 57.3 gr RL 26. McGowen makes a nice barrel. Thought of pushing my throat out a little maybe .015" Let me load out to 3.5"

Can I ask what you spent on a new barrel was thinking of bringing my .270 back to life

Attachments

• 20160326_143205.jpg
    20160326_143205.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 140
Maybe with a 26 barrel and some R 26 you would get there.. Anyway I appologize for the mis post on velocity.. Don't want to lead anyone in the wrong direction...2900 is still great for a 170.
We worked up a load with the 150gr ABLR and RL26 in my dad's old Savage 110 270 24" barrel. 59.5 grains was right at 3000 fps and a nice tight triangle pattern.

First rifle I got at 17 was a Ruger M-77. 270 shot the barrel out after 10 years and it sat in the safe. Decided to bring it back to life this year.
I took the old Barrel off and sent the action up to Mcgowen to have a 1:8 twist barrel put on with the 170 Berger in mind.
I wanted to be able to shoot everything including elk with no reserve. After 30 rounds of break in it is hammering.
Reg reamer with no freebore. Win brass, fed 210 primer, mag pro hunter powder 60.5 gr. .015 off the lands. 2900FPS.
The ole girl is back to life. My only regret is not doing my homework a little better to get some freebore. It is seated pretty deep but, it shoots.
No need to get all new components and make a 280 AI. Just get some 170 Bergers and light it up😉.
View attachment 209439View attachment 209440View attachment 209440
Nothing wrong with that. Nice shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.