.270 Winchester Barrel Life and Scope choice.

Yeah I know, unfortunately the rifle is a Browning X-Bolt and from what I've heard they're notorious for being a pain in the *** to rebarrel.

If I'm at the range I usually wait 3 minutes between shots. It's sometimes painful to wait, but it really minimizes having the barrel heat up at all. After a group of shots (3-8, depending) I'll wait at least 5 minutes.
Pretty close to my formula as well.

I will take three quick shots occasionally with one to simulate what I might have to do in the field to see how well a given rifle groups under those conditions but only rarely.

Heat and pressure are the two primary killers of barrels so the easiest way to extend barrel life is to avoid getting them hot and to allow them to cool off well before shooting again if you do.

1100? ****, I should have went with a magnum caliber as they offer similar life with better performance. If your experience is common I wonder Why the .270 isn't more well known as a barrel burner?
Very few hunters will ever shoot a thousand rounds or more from a given rifle in their lifetime.

Hanging out here however you are in a crowd of dedicated shooting gun nuts that put a lot of rounds down range just as a part of every day life.

Stainless treated barrels (melonite etc) will extend a rifle barrels life considerably so you might want to consider it before you get too many rounds down range.

My standard is 1 MOA, currently the rifle shoots anywhere from 0.75-1.5 moa depending on the ammo. With that in mind, where do you guys the round count might be when the groups open up beyond 1 MOA with currently 0.75 ammo?

My standard is 1 MOA, currently the rifle shoots anywhere from 0.75-1.5 moa depending on the ammo. With that in mind, where do you guys the round count might be when the groups open up beyond 1 MOA with currently 0.75 ammo?
That will vary greatly depending on how often you shoot it hot.

If you dont shoot it hot theres no reason it shouldn't last you 1,500-2000rds. Have it melonited or nitrided (some companies do both and according at least to some of the BR guys you can expect to double or nearly double that lifespan. I am assuming here that its a stainless barrel, if not you can expect less.

CM barrels just dont seem to last nearly as long as stainless at least in my experience.

Hi guys,

So I've decided I would like to broaden my horizons and step out of my comfort zone when it comes to hunting/shooting. I figure a good place to start would be to really step up my shooting abilities so I am able to push beyond MPBR and become more precise in the process. My go to rifle that I would like to begin practice shooting up to 700 or so yards with is a Browning X-Bolt in .270 win. I have decided to go with a FFP scope as well after some research and have settled on a Vortex Viper 4-16x50 PST. Is this setup ideal for what I'm looking at doing (ie.versatile hunting rifle with long range capability) ? Or would you guys recommend selling and moving to something else?

One thing that I've also heard mixed reports on is .270 Win barrel life, some guys (including gunsmith) say that it is as low as 1000 rounds before accuracy falls off noticeably and others suggest up to around 4000. I really don't want to have to worry about burning out the barrel if I'm practicing to become proficient at extended ranges. When I bought the rifle I was told 3000 rounds was the minimum life I would get with a .270 barrel, this played a large part in the decision.

Anyways hanks for your input, let me know if I have a solid setup and am on the right track or if I need to really rethink this whole thing. If you know anything about ballpark .270 Win barrel life that would also be greatly appreciated.
I'm unsure of barrel life, but my heavy barreled TIKKA M65 in 270 Winchester is an awesome long range rifle.
More muzzle energy than a 308 less wind drift than a 308 and nowadays an adequate choice of bullets
I use Berger Classic Hunter in 139 grain and load to magazine length as they have a hybrid profile.

I have been shooting a 24" stainless 270w Rem 700BDL for the past 23 years as my general purpose hunting rifle. In that time it has accounted for a lot of game, pigs, deer, feral goats and even foxes (too much gun). It's shot over 2000 rounds, been shot hot with hot handloads and will still shoot around the 1MOA 3 shot groups. For an not so special sporter weight hunting rifle with an old 3-9x40 Leupy and a B&C stock it's still a capable hunting rifle in the field where it counts. Does it shoot 0.5MOA and it use to, well no, but I am still wondering if it is me or the barrel that is wearing out LOL

Sorry just realised old thread

Is it possible you're barrel was a dud? I mean considering your .300 wm has the same barrel life as your .270 did there must have been some other variable at play right? Especially when considering the difference in velocity and amount of powder used in each round
Look at it this way it will cost you more to burn the barrel out than replacing it with a new barrel so have fun burning it out by that time there will be a new cartridge and caliber to try out

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.